Cruisers and terrorism

PapaSquatch

On 3/25/2019 at 1:20 PM, MicCanberra said:

Not a binary choice for me either and no worry is involved with being alert to your surroundings.

I spent most of my adult life dealing with municipal fire service and life safety issues.  Being aware is second nature.    

There is still a lot of hostility in certain parts of the world toward anyone carrying a US or Israeli passport. It has little to do with luck and more to do with age old hatred and political propaganda value.

18 hours ago, sfaaa said:

There is still a lot of hostility in certain parts of the world toward anyone carrying a US or Israeli passport. It has little to do with luck and more to do with age old hatred and political propaganda value.

But, I'm Canadian, eh. 😄

On 3/21/2019 at 11:19 PM, MicCanberra said:

My wife and I travel for safety sake, we once read a report that over 90% of accidents happen in the home.😁

I saw a thought provoking t-shirt on a snorkle trip once that said, "You could die falling off your couch, too."  It was a picture of a snorkler (is that a word?) with a big fish staring at him.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes, get out there and do the things you want to do. Carpe Diem.

I so agree with this - my mother (88 and now rather infirm) said to me a few years ago "I am never going to see Venice now". This really hit home to me.  I have been to Venice 4 times (so far).

I would much rather spend my dotage looking at holiday photos and remembering great trips, than looking at a pile of money in the bank doing nothing. You are only on this Earth once - see as much of it as you can.

• Like 3

On 3/31/2019 at 4:37 PM, MicCanberra said:

Yes, get out there and do the things you want to do. Carpe Diem.

Yeap.

My former FIL was one of those who worked 6.5 days a week, every week.  Never took a vacation.  He made all his plans for when he retired.  He would have the money to do so, and the time.

About the time he retired, his wife had a small stroke.  So he had to stay home to take care of her.  After a few more, she had to go into a nursing home.  So he was free.

3 weeks later, he fell and broke his hip.  Surgery went fine, but no one really looked at his med list, and did not put him on a blood thinner, thinking that at his age, he was on one.  So next morning, they got him up to go to PT, a clot broke loose, and he had a stroke.  He recovered, but not well enough to travel.

He never got to travel and do all the things he planned to do.

In 2001, I was in a serious mishap, that almost cost me my life.  Since then, while I plan for the future, I enjoy NOW.  As tomorrow might not be there.

14 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Sorry to hear about your and your former FIL's woes, just goes to show that life happens when your busy making other plans.

Thanks

Yeap, life and stuff happens.

Enjoy it while you can. 

And even in the aftermath.  I have a good friend, who, when he was 15, was riding in a vehicle on a family vacation to FL.  A driver ran a red light, and t-boned them.  And he has had to live with the aftermath ever since then.  And he has not let it stop him.  He does what he can, and enjoys what he does.

• 1 month later...
On 3/27/2019 at 8:34 AM, capriccio said:

The Achille Lauro hijacking and the murder of passenger Leon Klingoffer occurred in the fall of 1985.  That was a time of great unrest in Europe (I know; we were living in Rome) and the Middle East with a number of plane hijackings including TWA 847 in the summer of 1985 when a US navy diver, Robert Stethem, was murdered.

Thanks for  posting the correct decade that  sad event occurred.

image.png.dc32d914f0f00c5f505d24865100f4a2.png