Nieuw Statendam engine problems?

frankc98376

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

My understanding is that ships stopping at HMC, Grand Turk, Amber Cove and many other facilities owned by Carnival and other cruise companies must still pay local port fees.

Thank you.  I didn't know, that is why I asked.

36 minutes ago, Not-so-gabby-Paul said:

It seems like HAL should be offering more than port charge and tax reimbursement.  Weather-related issues are completely beyond their control, but mechanical issues should have them bearing accountability -- a couple hundred dollars in shipboard credit (or a refund equal to that amount since you're so late in the cruise) doesn't seem unreasonable.

It's early yet, give it time.  Even though they aren't obligated to give anything more than port fees and taxes, I wouldn't be at all surprised if HAL does offer something.  

We are getting on NS in two weeks so make sure they get her all fixed up before then! Oh, and there should be no port fees or taxes to be refunded for missing HMC as my understanding is there are none of those charges for it as it is privately owned and the ship does not actually dock there, just anchors offshore.

27 minutes ago, notladjr said:

We are getting on NS in two weeks so make sure they get her all fixed up before then! Oh, and there should be no port fees or taxes to be refunded for missing HMC as my understanding is there are none of those charges for it as it is privately owned and the ship does not actually dock there, just anchors offshore.

We’ve missed HMC and have had port fees and taxes refunded.

4 hours ago, Sir PMP said:

Anything can happen with this captain....

Please explain or refrain from making stupid remarks.

What is your Nautical qualification to criticise the Master of Nieuw Statendam?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, notladjr said:

Tendering or docking, port fees still have to be paid. As indicated in post #23, Guest Services has already stated that the port fees and taxes will be refunded.

On the issue of tendering versus docking, I believe that there can be a difference in the fees. On a Canada - New England cruise on the Maasdam we were meant to dock in Charlottetown but ended up tendering. We received a small refund for the reduced fee, not a total refund.

Edited by Fouremco

25 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Had him (de Boer) on the Rotterdam in 2010, not a good experience...

It's my understanding from Captain Albert's Blog that Captain de Boer is on vacation and not at the helm at this time.

7 hours ago, Fouremco said:

My understanding is that ships stopping at HMC, Grand Turk, Amber Cove and many other facilities owned by Carnival and other cruise companies must still pay local port fees.

Do they really own the islands or just have a long term lease from the owning country? 

37 minutes ago, drowelf said:

Do they really own the islands or just have a long term lease from the owning country? 

While HAL owns the facilities on HMC, the island is apparently on a 99-year lease from its private owners, not from the Bahamas. The following is an extract from an interesting history of HMC (https://www.hollandamerica.com/blog/destinations/caribbean/fact-lore-of-half-moon-cay-the-history/:

• The island was uninhabited and without running water or electricity when Holland America Line signed a 99-year lease agreement for the land in 1996. The $6 million purchase price was split between more than 150 individuals, descendants of the original land owner (or owners) – who likely received the land as a crown land grant, from the British monarch. Holland America Line renamed the island Half Moon Cay.

I don't know whether the others are owned or leased, although most references suggest ownership.

Edited by Fouremco