Viking incident

Presto2

Seems to be an on-going operation at the moment. Credit to the Captain and crew who seem to be doing a great job.

Thoughts and prayers are with everyone concerned in this incident.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Beachlover1989 said:

WOW!  Why would they evacuate instead of just leaving everyone on the ship?  Were they scared she was going to run aground and tip like the Costa Concordia?

It isn't over yet at all - I would check out the Viking board for updates. Not sure why they are evacuating but they obviously think they need to.

Thankfully, they have a good Captain and professional crew and not an idiot and coward like the poor Concordia and her passengers had.

• Like 3

I was just at the Viking boards for updates.  One engine is working and Viking Sky is moving slowly to Stavenger.  All passengers and crew are being evacuated as a precaution.  The helicopter evacs will continue into the night.  A passenger onboard is giving updates when possible.  Praying for the safety of all.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

I was just at the Viking boards for updates.  One engine is working and Viking Sky is moving slowly to Stavenger.  All passengers and crew are being evacuated as a precaution.  The helicopter evacs will continue into the night.  A passenger onboard is giving updates when possible.  Praying for the safety of all.

Am guessing that the Captain and some crew will stay onboard to limp her home. That is how it should be … safe seas everyone

• Like 1

This would be terrifying!  We have seen 2 medical airlifts.  The crew on the helicopters and the ship who do this must have nerves of steel.  A helicopter in strong winds and a ship that is  moving with the water, praying they get everyone off safely.

• Like 3

Well, I can only remember on my first sailing on The QE2 of the Norwegian Fjords, one the engines died in one of the northern most fjords.

Stuck for two (2) days until replacement parts arrived... UK residents took it in strides, most of the Americans were up in arms... go figure, but that was then so peoples approaches to such issues can change.

Not sure if they thought about evacuation, I must say it was quite peaceful and quiet for those days and provided a great study in nature and serenity and people.

bon voyage

• Like 1

I have to admit I'm thinking how many passengers may be not physically in such great shape to evacuate even under more benign circumstances.  And not just this ship, but any cruise line on any itinerary.  And that's not even accounting for the emotional stress people must be under.  I'm 65 and in reasonable health, but pretty sure this would be beyond me.  Sounds like the master and crew, as well as the first responders, are doing a wonderful job under the circumstances.  

• Like 1

Ship is not on its way to Stavanger. Still evaquating passengers, and they will all night. 3 seriously injured, taken to hospital. Stormy winds, black night, very serious situation.

Edited by Sirkeline

Last reports I've seen online say they have only gotten about 10% of the people off the ship. Since the olden days of "women and children first" have long passed, what's the criteria of deciding who to evacuate by helicopter first? Do they take people who have mobility issues who couldn't escape as easily via a lifeboat first? Or people who are actually the opposite, and more physically fit and able to withstand the stress, fear and rigor of being pulled into a helicopter?

1 hour ago, greykitty said:

There's a cargo ship also stranded near the Viking ship.  That ship has issued a mayday as I understand it.  

Just now : the crew of the freight ship had to jump into the ocean, and waiting for helicopter to rescue them.