LIVE From the Royal Princess: 4/6/2019

HBCcruiser

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

HBCruiser,  good comparison; I will tell you I have stayed in 2 bedroom Family Suite on Princess; and I picked this cabin over NCL 2 bedroom Suite due to the layout and sizing. On NCL Pearl the 2 bedroom had master bedroom and 2nd bedroom. The second bedroom was tiny and there was one bathroom.  On Princess we had 2 bedrooms and the 2nd bedroom was very good size for the kids; we had 2 bathrooms, and living room, and then we had large balcony.  I do agree with you about NCL having more suite options.  Princess does not have anything close to an Deluxe Owners Suite like NCL 

I agree with you on the NCL 2bedroom. It was perfect for me, my DDs and mom. We all fit perfectly, but would have been cramped with more people in it. I did not see the 2bedroom option on the Royal when we booked. Does it have those? I wonder if the newer-bigger ships Princess is building will have more options? 

HBCruiser, the Royal class ships do not have the 2bdr suites;  the Grand Class ships do,;  like Ruby, Emerald, Grand, etc. I think there are four per ship.  If you see below,  I have booked the window suite on Sky.  They do not have any pics yet;  but my wife and I figured since it will be Mid Oct in Canada, and NE; it may be cold on balcony; so we booked the window suite.  I have only sailed suites for the past six years;  and will continue to book them.  I feel since I do not have loyalty status with any line; I can book suites and get enhanced perks that outweigh loyalty status.  Thanks for your great review

Edited by AF-1
add txt
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

HBCruiser,  good comparison; I will tell you I have stayed in 2 bedroom Family Suite on Princess; and I picked this cabin over NCL 2 bedroom Suite due to the layout and sizing. On NCL Pearl the 2 bedroom had master bedroom and 2nd bedroom. The second bedroom was tiny and there was one bathroom.  On Princess we had 2 bedrooms and the 2nd bedroom was very good size for the kids; we had 2 bathrooms, and living room, and then we had large balcony.  I do agree with you about NCL having more suite options.  Princess does not have anything close to an Deluxe Owners Suite like NCL 

I too have sailed  on the 2 bedrooms on NCL  very nice. I agree with the size of the second BR.  But the tub and separate shower both  looking directly onto the water is awesome.  

We we have not tried Royal Princess yet but have a suite just a few cabins away from  the one  shown in the video. Thanks for that.   We also snagged one of those window suites on the Sky for July 2020.  No no pics, you are tight, I hope if someone gets them, the pics are posted here.

NCL suite benefits are great. I have watched these improve tremendously over the years.  Along with that, Prices  soared.  

AF-1  did you say the Grand has a 2 bedroom?  We are looking at the Pacific NW Coastal out of San Francisco next March.  That would be awesome. AMTRAK/ BART to port.  

Enjoying both of your comments. 

Other reflections (MY OPINION ONY):

Princess and NCL have many similarities and rate closely with regards to overall quality. Princess, though, costs MUCH LESS than NCL, almost by half! That can mean having more money to book another cruise! Given the NCL and Princess pricing and ship options currently sailing the Mexican Rivera out of LA, I would choose Princess over NCL. Despite ABSOLUTELY LOVING the Haven, NCL has, sadly, priced themselves completely out of my comfort zone, especially when I know that I can get a very similar experience on the Royal Princess at half the cost. I am not into booking a lesser cabin then praying for a bidding upgrade as NCL promotes. I prefer to book the cabin I want upfront. 

We have already booked another cruise on the Royal Princess, and may turn it into a B2B if I can get the time off of work for that long. I have also booked the NCL Pride of America's DOS next year as well. We booked this a while ago, prior to the huge increase in prices. 

Once I finish the Royal ship tour video this weekend, I will post it here. I will also re-shoot and re-post all of the Patters so folks can view them in order and all at one time.

My next LIVE will be from our Tauck River Cruise in June/July - Amsterdam to Budapest. Can't wait! 

Edited by HBCcruiser
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AF-1 said:

HBCruiser, the Royal class ships do not have the 2bdr suites;  the Grand Class ships do,;  like Ruby, Emerald, Grand, etc. I think there are four per ship.  If you see below,  I have booked the window suite on Sky.  They do not have any pics yet;  but my wife and I figured since it will be Mid Oct in Canada, and NE; it may be cold on balcony; so we booked the window suite.  I have only sailed suites for the past six years;  and will continue to book them.  I feel since I do not have loyalty status with any line; I can book suites and get enhanced perks that outweigh loyalty status.  Thanks for your great review

I wish Princess would make it easier to book their 2 bedroom suites! They can't be booked online and, sometimes, the reps on the phone don't even know they exist! It's annoying that you can't even get a gauge on pricing to decide if it's even worth the call to check availability!

36 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

I wish Princess would make it easier to book their 2 bedroom suites! They can't be booked online and, sometimes, the reps on the phone don't even know they exist! It's annoying that you can't even get a gauge on pricing to decide if it's even worth the call to check availability!

36 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Ok that explains it, thanks.  

5 hours ago, milolii said:

I too have sailed  on the 2 bedrooms on NCL  very nice. I agree with the size of the second BR.  But the tub and separate shower both  looking directly onto the water is awesome.  

We we have not tried Royal Princess yet but have a suite just a few cabins away from  the one  shown in the video. Thanks for that.   We also snagged one of those window suites on the Sky for July 2020.  No no pics, you are tight, I hope if someone gets them, the pics are posted here.

NCL suite benefits are great. I have watched these improve tremendously over the years.  Along with that, Prices  soared.  

AF-1  did you say the Grand has a 2 bedroom?  We are looking at the Pacific NW Coastal out of San Francisco next March.  That would be awesome. AMTRAK/ BART to port.  

Enjoying both of your comments. 

Grand has two family suites;  they are up front on dolphin deck.  We have a window suite booked on Sky.  I figure when the ship sails in Sep that people will start posting pics of the suite;  along with the press photos too

Thank you for doing this live review. You did a fantastic job! We too were on this cruise.

The one thing we noticed (only because hubby takes photos) is that missing on the Patter was :

Temperatures for the day high / low AND sunrise and sunset times.  Hubby loves to take photos and it does affect

our dinner plans.  He had to call down to passenger services to get the information. Why that is no longer in the Patter we 

do not understand.

Royal is a big ship but when on the last day the weather turned cold, it was very crowded inside. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, greenie082756 said:

Thank you for doing this live review. You did a fantastic job! We too were on this cruise.

The one thing we noticed (only because hubby takes photos) is that missing on the Patter was :

Temperatures for the day high / low AND sunrise and sunset times.  Hubby loves to take photos and it does affect

our dinner plans.  He had to call down to passenger services to get the information. Why that is no longer in the Patter we 

do not understand.

Royal is a big ship but when on the last day the weather turned cold, it was very crowded inside. 

I usually found highs/lows on the ocean concierge. I never noticed sunrise and sunset times on concierge though.

• Like 1

I also thank you for this amazing blog! We will sail on the Royal, Lord willing, this coming Saturday, so it's very timely and was very informative. You were very generous of your time to do this for mostly strangers.  Thanks again!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Charles48 said:

I also thank you for this amazing blog! We will sail on the Royal, Lord willing, this coming Saturday, so it's very timely and was very informative. You were very generous of your time to do this for mostly strangers.  Thanks again!!!

ENJOY YOUR CRUISE! You’ll be on her, have faith. 🤞🏻🎉🍾🚢

On 4/7/2019 at 6:52 PM, chipz said:

Have been enjoying the thread. We leave on the 13th when you get back. Have you heard the Mariachi group? I saw your patter mentioned Los Brilllantes. They were on the Ruby, which we sailed 3 times to Mexico. They were great.

Have a great time, we can't wait to get aboard. 🥂

We love mariachi bands.  You mentioned Los Brilllantes.  Do they play mariachi music with all the brass? 

Hermosa Beach Cruiser mahalo for the descriptive and informative blog "live from the Royal Princess".  We enjoyed it immensely and, since it was so complete,  we might as well cancel our reservations for 4/27.  lol   You and Mom looked simply "maahvalous" on the formal nights.  Did the majority of the diners dress for the occasions?  

Thanks also for your evaluation of suites on NCL.  Have you ever sailed Celebrity?  They have a penthouse suite on the Infinity and Summit that is huge. We tried it for a trip to the Caribbean and have been spoiled ever since.   It includes a hot tub on the "mega" veranda which is half the stern on deck 6. Take a peek as it's not much more than the NCL https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/staterooms/suite-class/penthouse-suite 

Finally, off topic when I (Terry) was 8 years old I was swimming at Hermosa Beach and got caught in a rip tide.  I was at least 300 yards off the shoreline heading for Catalina before I was rescued by an alert lifeguard.  He saved my life.  Makes me shake again just thinking about it. 

Sounds like you have some future cruises stacked that sound awesome.  Thanks again Tiffany.

Aloha, Terry

46 minutes ago, Terry&Elizabeth said:

Hermosa Beach Cruiser mahalo for the descriptive and informative blog "live from the Royal Princess".  We enjoyed it immensely and, since it was so complete,  we might as well cancel our reservations for 4/27.  lol   You and Mom looked simply "maahvalous" on the formal nights.  Did the majority of the diners dress for the occasions?  

Thanks also for your evaluation of suites on NCL.  Have you ever sailed Celebrity?  They have a penthouse suite on the Infinity and Summit that is huge. We tried it for a trip to the Caribbean and have been spoiled ever since.   It includes a hot tub on the "mega" veranda which is half the stern on deck 6. Take a peek as it's not much more than the NCL https://www.celebritycruises.com/things-to-do-onboard/staterooms/suite-class/penthouse-suite 

Finally, off topic when I (Terry) was 8 years old I was swimming at Hermosa Beach and got caught in a rip tide.  I was at least 300 yards off the shoreline heading for Catalina before I was rescued by an alert lifeguard.  He saved my life.  Makes me shake again just thinking about it. 

Sounds like you have some future cruises stacked that sound awesome.  Thanks again Tiffany.

Aloha, Terry

Thanks! Yes, the riptides can be pretty strong out here. I have not sailed Celebrity. My mom has, but she prefers Princess. Enjoy your cruise! 

10 hours ago, Terry&Elizabeth said:

We love mariachi bands.  You mentioned Los Brilllantes.  Do they play mariachi music with all the brass? 

We've seen Los Brillantes on several Mexican cruises with Princess and they've never had brass, just guitars and singing.  There are only 3 of them.  Still very enjoyable.

6 hours ago, Terry&Elizabeth said:

Aloha, Terry

We know that suite on Celebrity. LOL  Our friends were right next door in the Royal suite and we peeked at that adjoining PH balcony with hot tub. On our sailing Kodak Corporation had the PH. Infinity was only 4 months old when we sailed.  Love Celebrity.  Best cruiseline ever.  

40 minutes ago, 4cats4me said:

We know that suite on Celebrity. LOL  Our friends were right next door in the Royal suite and we peeked at that adjoining PH balcony with hot tub. On our sailing Kodak Corporation had the PH. Infinity was only 4 months old when we sailed.  Love Celebrity.  Best cruiseline ever.  

Yes, we hosted a sailaway party for 70 cruise critic buddies.  We put our butler through a "baptism of fire" and he came through with flying colors.  He managed to get us  72  jumbo shrimp cocktails to accompany about 30 bottles of champagne.  At the end of the party I asked him for my tab and he wrote out a receipt for zero dollars.  I was thinking about 2 grand and was flabbergasted that Celebrity picked up our tab.  Needless to say he was thrilled with his tip.  For the entire cruise he performed above and beyond our imagination.  Finally at debarkation he personally walked us to customs and carried our luggage on a cart.  It's that kind of personal service that really makes a cruise a very special treat.   When we opened our suitcases at home we found 2 lovely beach towels and 2 bath robes with the Celebrity logo.  This will be our first gig on Princess as we are joining friends from Orange County.  While we like Celebrity I know we will enjoy the Royal at bargain basement pricing.   

• Like 1

Yes, we hosted a sailaway party for 70 cruise critic buddies.  We put our butler through a "baptism of fire" and he came through with flying colors.  He managed to get us  72  jumbo shrimp cocktails to accompany about 30 bottles of champagne.  At the end of the party I asked him for my tab and he wrote out a receipt for zero dollars.  I was thinking about 2 grand and was flabbergasted that Celebrity picked up our tab.  Needless to say he was thrilled with his tip.  For the entire cruise he performed above and beyond our imagination.  Finally at debarkation he personally walked us to customs and carried our luggage on a cart.  It's that kind of personal service that really makes a cruise a very special treat.   When we opened our suitcases at home we found 2 lovely beach towels and 2 bath robes with the Celebrity logo.  This will be our first gig on Princess as we are joining friends from Orange County.  While we like Celebrity I know we will enjoy the Royal at bargain basement pricing.   

That reminds me more of NCL DOS and HAL Pinnacle suite treatment than Princess. I hope you have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/10/2019 at 5:58 PM, Astro Flyer said:

Concerto also has a Wine Cellar for the Winemakers Dinner which is only available on Royal-Class ships.

EFFC8908-750B-43E1-A546-864EA86D7707.jpeg

really enjoyed your Live feed!  Can you tell me how much the winemakers dinner was and can you let me know  how you did the pub crawl - that looked like so much fun! 

8 minutes ago, mmllss said:

really enjoyed your Live feed!  Can you tell me how much the winemakers dinner was and can you let me know  how you did the pub crawl - that looked like so much fun! 

I merely posted a photo of the Wine Cellar on the excellent thread by HBCcruiser. ☺️

I have attended several Winemakers Dinners (only on Royal-Class ships) which cost $40/pp.  Like the Chef’s Table participation is limited (12) and is only offered a few times per cruise.  Call the DINE line as soon as possible to request it & they’ll notify you if you’re invited.

Edited by Astro Flyer