Royal will be allowed into Glacier Bay

1 hour ago, KazAllen said:

Anyone have any knowledge regarding itineraries that will include Glacier Bay and when they will be available for booking.  I am assuming it will be Radiance doing Glacier Bay and maybe substituting GB for Icy Strait Point.  Look forward to hearing your observations as we are intending to book as soon as it is available, although it will be pricey for us Aussies, we don't get the same prices that US citizens can get.

I am not sure where Glacier Bay is located in relationship to other places but I could see swapping out Hubbard Glacier for Glacier Bay. Hubbard is very nice but it is not a port that you stop at. ISP is an actual port of call

On 5/26/2019 at 8:46 PM, KazAllen said:

Anyone have any knowledge regarding itineraries that will include Glacier Bay and when they will be available for booking.  I am assuming it will be Radiance doing Glacier Bay and maybe substituting GB for Icy Strait Point.  Look forward to hearing your observations as we are intending to book as soon as it is available, although it will be pricey for us Aussies, we don't get the same prices that US citizens can get.

I too am wondering the same thing. Have been to Alaska several times but never to Glacier Bay.  Hoping to hear soon so we can book.  

I know Royal got one of the contracts to sail into Glacier bay starting in 2020, however I haven't heard which ships will be adding this to their itinerary.  Has anyone heard anything about what ships will be getting itinerary changed to add Glacier Bay?  Would Ovation be able to access the bay or is she too large?

On 4/19/2019 at 11:31 AM, Hoopster95 said:

153 days use?

Ovation, Radiance, Serenade, Celebrity M Class, Celebrity S Class (Seattle), Azamara... am I missing any?

Even if each ship were to visit Glacier Bay once per week, that's approx 20 maximum weeks x 6 ships = 120 days

Interesting!

There are actually 2 Celebrity "S" class ships in Alaska, The Eclipse and Solstice.

They will not add Glacier Bay to all cruises. I trust it will be eather Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay. Ovation might be too big for the Bay and people cruise on her to Alaska mainly because of the ship amenities and not for the regular 7 night itinerary that is the most boring in Alaska. This would put Serenade first for adding Glacier Bay and Ovation second, Radiance would be out. Same logic can be applied to Celebrity ships (Millenium out, Eclipse and Solstice in).

2 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

They will not add Glacier Bay to all cruises. I trust it will be eather Hubbard Glacier or Glacier Bay. Ovation might be too big for the Bay and people cruise on her to Alaska mainly because of the ship amenities and not for the regular 7 night itinerary that is the most boring in Alaska. This would put Serenade first for adding Glacier Bay and Ovation second, Radiance would be out. Same logic can be applied to Celebrity ships (Millenium out, Eclipse and Solstice in).

Where did that logic come from?Radiance out? Seranade and Radiance are the same class ships?

Edited by Jimbo

9 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Where did that logic come from?Radiance out? Seranade and Radiance are the same class ships?

I think the poster meant that Serenade is replacing Radiance on the Alaska runs.

8 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

I think the poster meant that Serenade is replacing Radiance on the Alaska runs.

If that’s what they meant then they were wrong.  Radiance is still doing the one way trips while Serenade is being added doing round trips out of Vancouver.

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

If that’s what they meant then they were wrong.  Radiance is still doing the one way trips while Serenade is being added doing round trips out of Vancouver.

So Royal will have 3 ships doing Alaska?

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes.  Ovation, round trip Seattle plus Radiance and Serenade.

Thanks, these Alaska runs must be very lucrative for them.

Because Radiance does Hubbard Glacier.
So? Princes has ships visit both Hubbard and Glacier Bay on the same cruise. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't looked. Anyway, there's no reason Royal can't as well.

6 hours ago, Saab4444 said:

They will not add Glacier Bay to all cruises.

Trying to add logic (I know I know... logic into an RCL + CC discussion?? Right)...

Glacier Bay is closer to all the major port stops within the Alaskan inside passage.

Map-of-Southeast-Alaska-showing-major-channels-italicized-land-masses-plain-text.png

The logical option for Hubbard is if the ship is going to/coming from Seward, it makes sense that Radiance will continue to keep Hubbard on her itinerary (also because there will be so many other ships vying for their spot into the various bays).

Serenade does the Vancouver round-trip through the BC inside passage hugging the coast line to Ketchikan. Endicott would be the easy option as she continues on the coastal route.

That leaves Ovation.... she steams up the Pacific Ocean northbound directly to Juneau & Skagway from Seattle, very easy to get into Glacier Bay as it's right there for her, then easy to get back out to the Pacific Ocean and back down to Victoria on her return.

Thinking illogically (like RCL more often) they'll delete Hubbard altogether and put Radiance in there, leaving both Serenade and Ovation for Endicott Arm.

Edited by Hoopster95

On 4/7/2019 at 5:06 PM, vacationlover_mn said:

Oh bummer!  Wish they had this on our cruise!  While Alaska was awesome, it’s probably a “one time” cruise for us... if we want to do an expensive vacation, we’ll try somewhere new (Panama Canal?  Norway?)

We've been twice...will go again asap.  We love it.

10 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Don't you think they will stilll have 3 ships in Alaska,,,,,,,,,Seattle RT, Vancouver RT and then what Radiance is doing now, every other week Northbound/ Southbound( Vancouver/Seward)

1 minute ago, Jimbo said:

Don't you think they will stilll have 3 ships in Alaska,,,,,,,,,Seattle RT, Vancouver RT and then what Radiance is doing now, every other week Northbound/ Southbound( Vancouver/Seward)

That is what I believe Ken indicated above, three RC ships in Alaska.

3 minutes ago, Host Clarea said:

That is what I believe Ken indicated above, three RC ships in Alaska.

Sorry I just got home for work and just read your response and didn't read the rest of the thread..............

On 5/31/2019 at 6:42 AM, Host Clarea said:

When?  I am on Radiance B2B in August 2020.  

Edited by island lady