Bearspray?

consmarci

First trip to Alaska coming up in May. We are doing a land portion (on our own) and will be hiking a bit in the first 30 miles of Denali Park and around Mt. Aleyska, the hand tram hike. Friends have told us we need bearspray. We truly aren't sure if they are joking or not...We haven't really read a review mentioning bearspray and people do a lot crazier things than we're doing. Advice please. Thanks so much.

We live in bear country, seeing bears wandering the local streets and gardens. I also walk the local dikes, seeing bears at least a couple of times a year, at times as close as 200 yds.

Ā 

I have never carried bear spray, but in Denali I might actually consider purchasing some.

We used to hike up in the North Cascades of Washington state every summer. We never carried or had bear spray. We always had a couple of small bells or our packs that made a lot of noise, if bears hear you coming they'll get out of your way. Look up "bear bells" The biggest threat up in the Olympic national Park aren't bears it'sĀ  mountain goats, there really mean.Ā 

Get a soda can and fill it with rocks and give it a shake while you walk. If you get bear spray you better know how to use it under stress. You donā€™t want to be figuring it out when you actually need it.Ā 

You are in bear country, it's always advisable to carry bear spray and as rma2001 mentioned, know how and when to use it.Ā  Making noise as you hike is also advisable.

Ā 

Denali has both black bears and the more aggressive Grizzly (Brown) bear and while attacks are rare, it does happen.Ā  If you are still in doubt ask at the Denali Visitor's Center if spray is recommended.Ā  It's still your call.

Make sure you are ready for sticker shock. Last one I bought was close to $50 and check the expiration date. Have it figured out before visitor center because I think if they say you need it the bear spray won't be easy to find nearby. Also check your dates to verify how far into the park you can even to go on your dates although it has been warm so far.Ā  Also be aware that you may not be able toĀ  take it on an airplane.Ā 

Edited by SightCRR
airplane comment.

Of we were so nervous about this too for our cruise to Alaska this past september!!! We would have brought bear spray but it is not allowed on the plane and I couldn't figure out where to get in in port. Also- not sure thecruise even allows you to bring it onboard. We did see and come quite close to a mama bear and 2 cubs which made our hearts race big time (we have 2 little kids with us) but turned out to be no big problem at all and by far the highlight of the entire trip. It was at Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. The bears didn't really care about the people- they were consumed with catching salmon and doing their own thing.

National Park Rangers in Seward told me that bear bells aren't very effective in Alaska because the bears are more wild and haven't learned to associate the noise with people.Ā  It might even make them curious.Ā  As for bear spray, I know people who would say, "Absolutely you should carry it." Others say, "I never carry bear spray and have never had trouble."Ā  But if you do carry it, I agree that you'd better get really comfortable with using it and wear it in a holster.Ā  Otherwise, it's worthless (or dangerous).Ā  But definitely hike loudly, especially in areas where you don't have good visibility.Ā  Other bear safety tips:Ā Ā https://www.melindabrasher.com/2019/04/bear-safety-in-alaska.html

Ā 

It's that time of year again. Park Ranger giving a talk to new visitors: "We have two types of bear around here, Brown (Grizzlies)Ā and Black. Black bears are usually smaller and less aggressive. A lot of hikers carry bear spray and hang little bells on their clothes and shoe laces. When in bear country, it is important to recognize what species of bear is around. Best way to determine that is look close at bear scat (poop). Black Bear poop is usually loaded with and smells likeĀ partially digestedĀ berries (Soap berries are their favorite)Ā and twigs and branches, Brown Bear poop is loaded with little bells and smells like bear spray."Ā Ā 

Ā 

Okay. Enough of the comedy. Ā We sometimes have bear problems in Alaska, especially where I am in the summer, so I have three friends who watch out over me, Smith & Wesson and Winchester. IĀ used to beĀ very skeptical about bear spray and little bells for protection. I spend my summers in the Wrangell Mountains where there are a lot of bears.Ā We have another place near Anchorage and there really isn't a bear problem at all.Ā Wife takes care of that cabin and for some reason she liked to carry bear spray, maybe for the two legged variety. Like other posters have indicated, carrying that stuff on a airline is a no-no. One time, I got back into town right after she got back from Maine visiting relatives there. She was all worked up. Turned out, as she changed planes in Boston they found her can of bear spray in her hand carry. Wow, it is a wonder she isn't still doing time in the Graybar HotelĀ and that was before 9/11. I wasn't sympathetic, "What the h__l you thinking about anyway traveling with bear spray", which is about the same as pepper spray and mace, to the cops anyway. Up until a few years ago she was still getting threatening letters from the Feds, which irritated her no end.

Ā 

However, if you areĀ going to fly out into the Alaska bush on a light aircraft, they allow you to bring spray, most of the time. Be absolutely certain you give it to the pilot first, do not hide it in your gear. What he/she then does with it is get out a roll of duct tapeĀ and tape it outside the fuselage on a wing strut or portion of the landing gear.

Ā 

Brown bears are more aggressive than Blacks, however sometimes Blacks can get mean. Here is what the NPS says about bears---Ā Ā "Brown/Grizzly Bears: If you are attacked by a brown/grizzly bear, leave your pack on and PLAY DEAD. Lay ļ¬‚at on your stomach with your hands clasped behind your neck. Spread your legs to make it harder for the bear to turn you over. Remain still until the bear leaves the area. Fighting back usually increases the intensity of such attacks. However, if the attack persists, fight back vigorously. Use whatever you have at hand to hit the bear in the face.

Ā·Ā  Black Bears: If you are attacked by a black bear, DO NOT PLAY DEAD. Try to escape to a secure place such as a car or building. If escape is not possible, try to ļ¬ght back using any object available. Concentrate your kicks and blows on the bear's face and muzzle.

If any bear attacks you in your tent, or stalks you and then attacks, do NOT play deadā€”fight back! This kind of attack is very rare, but can be serious because it often means the bear is looking for food and sees you as prey."

I have lived in bear country all my life, I have had close calls but never had to kill a bear. I agree with what the NPS says here. However, they also say don'tĀ climb a tree as both bear types can climb trees. Maybe so, but I have hadĀ too many friends escape from Brown Bears by climbing a tree to completelyĀ agree with that one. By the way, I can count five people, I have been acquainted with, who were killed by bears, three by browns andĀ two byĀ blacks. That doesn't count thoseĀ IĀ hear about in the newsĀ up here who got killedĀ or those I personally know who have been mauled.Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā 

I mentioned,Ā I now carry bear spray along with a gun. When hiking, make a lot of noise. If they have cubs, get the heck out of there, before they see you. I have timed Brown Bear with a vehicle, they can do 40 plus miles an hour in a short spurt.Ā AsĀ many indicate, Black Bears appreciate aggression, a lot ofĀ folks are reluctant to use aggression around Black Bears which encourages them all the more. Giving them a good shot of bear spray tells them you are aggressive. Saves from having to kill them. BeĀ certain you know how to use your weapon, gun or spray. ExpertsĀ attest thatĀ during most bear attacks you have less than two seconds.

Ā 

Edited by kennicott

On 4/9/2019 at 11:46 AM, kennicott said:

It's that time of year again. Park Ranger giving a talk to new visitors: "We have two types of bear around here, Brown (Grizzlies)Ā and Black. Black bears are usually smaller and less aggressive. A lot of hikers carry bear spray and hang little bells on their clothes and shoe laces. When in bear country, it is important to recognize what species of bear is around. Best way to determine that is look close at bear scat (poop). Black Bear poop is usually loaded with and smells likeĀ partially digestedĀ berries (Soap berries are their favorite)Ā and twigs and branches, Brown Bear poop is loaded with little bells and smells like bear spray."Ā Ā 

Ā 

Okay. Enough of the comedy. Ā We sometimes have bear problems in Alaska, especially where I am in the summer, so I have three friends who watch out over me, Smith & Wesson and Winchester. IĀ used to beĀ very skeptical about bear spray and little bells for protection. I spend my summers in the Wrangell Mountains where there are a lot of bears.Ā We have another place near Anchorage and there really isn't a bear problem at all.Ā Wife takes care of that cabin and for some reason she liked to carry bear spray, maybe for the two legged variety. Like other posters have indicated, carrying that stuff on a airline is a no-no. One time, I got back into town right after she got back from Maine visiting relatives there. She was all worked up. Turned out, as she changed planes in Boston they found her can of bear spray in her hand carry. Wow, it is a wonder she isn't still doing time in the Graybar HotelĀ and that was before 9/11. I wasn't sympathetic, "What the h__l you thinking about anyway traveling with bear spray", which is about the same as pepper spray and mace, to the cops anyway. Up until a few years ago she was still getting threatening letters from the Feds, which irritated her no end.

Ā 

However, if you areĀ going to fly out into the Alaska bush on a light aircraft, they allow you to bring spray, most of the time. Be absolutely certain you give it to the pilot first, do not hide it in your gear. What he/she then does with it is get out a roll of duct tapeĀ and tape it outside the fuselage on a wing strut or portion of the landing gear.

Ā 

Brown bears are more aggressive than Blacks, however sometimes Blacks can get mean. Here is what the NPS says about bears---Ā Ā "Brown/Grizzly Bears: If you are attacked by a brown/grizzly bear, leave your pack on and PLAY DEAD. Lay ļ¬‚at on your stomach with your hands clasped behind your neck. Spread your legs to make it harder for the bear to turn you over. Remain still until the bear leaves the area. Fighting back usually increases the intensity of such attacks. However, if the attack persists, fight back vigorously. Use whatever you have at hand to hit the bear in the face.

Ā·Ā  Black Bears: If you are attacked by a black bear, DO NOT PLAY DEAD. Try to escape to a secure place such as a car or building. If escape is not possible, try to ļ¬ght back using any object available. Concentrate your kicks and blows on the bear's face and muzzle.

If any bear attacks you in your tent, or stalks you and then attacks, do NOT play deadā€”fight back! This kind of attack is very rare, but can be serious because it often means the bear is looking for food and sees you as prey."

I have lived in bear country all my life, I have had close calls but never had to kill a bear. I agree with what the NPS says here. However, they also say don'tĀ climb a tree as both bear types can climb trees. Maybe so, but I have hadĀ too many friends escape from Brown Bears by climbing a tree to completelyĀ agree with that one. By the way, I can count five people, I have been acquainted with, who were killed by bears, three by browns andĀ two byĀ blacks. That doesn't count thoseĀ IĀ hear about in the newsĀ up here who got killedĀ or those I personally know who have been mauled.Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā 

I mentioned,Ā I now carry bear spray along with a gun. When hiking, make a lot of noise. If they have cubs, get the heck out of there, before they see you. I have timed Brown Bear with a vehicle, they can do 40 plus miles an hour in a short spurt.Ā AsĀ many indicate, Black Bears appreciate aggression, a lot ofĀ folks are reluctant to use aggression around Black Bears which encourages them all the more. Giving them a good shot of bear spray tells them you are aggressive. Saves from having to kill them. BeĀ certain you know how to use your weapon, gun or spray. ExpertsĀ attest thatĀ during most bear attacks you have less than two seconds.

Ā 

very interesting...

• 2 weeks later...
On ā€Ž4ā€Ž/ā€Ž4ā€Ž/ā€Ž2019 at 4:59 PM, Earplug said:

BEar spray is prohibited in Carry-on and Checked luggage

Ā 

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/bear-spray

Prohibited by NCL LIST LINK:

Note line item 15 !

https://www.ncl.com/prohibited-items

I would encourage you to see about the idea of renting bear spray. When I was researching the idea of bear spray for our 2018 summer trip, I found places (maybe REI?) that would buy back unused bear spray, as such businesses are well aware of airline restrictions and other hurdles as to what to do with bear spray in the likely event that you had it but didn't need it. I'm sorry that I can't recall more details as to what I was able to uncover...but I believe such information would need to be updated anyway...so do research the idea of a buy back program.

Ā 

Do whatever makes you most comfortable. DH and I went backpacking in the Grand Teton National Park for our first anniversary. While we were coming down the trail, another party was headed up. The lead woman was walking along with a can of bear spray at the ready in one hand and eagerly drilled us as to whether or not we had seen any bears or bear sign. She was very concerned, on high alert, and at the ready after hearing so much about the dangers of bear activity in the area. DH and I had been hiking along in a more happy go lucky way...and while we did have our bear bag and had taken precautions overnight and in our habits to reduce the attractiveness of our camp to the local bears, we weren't as concerned. We didn't purposefully make a bunch of noise, but we weren't silent and did spend time in lively conversation along the trail...and swatting the mosquitos loudly too, as I call recall. Anyway...the point is that you need to do whatever your conscience leads you to do to be prepared, and as others have stated, know that carrying bear spray is only part of that scenario...you need to be prepared to use it, otherwise, there's no point in having it.

These guys open in mid May. They carry what you might be looking for. You will not be able to take it on a cruise ship or plane. Denali mountain works. Mile 239 Parks Highway not for from Denali Bluffs Hotel - same side of road. One of the guys we hiked with in Alaska in 1995 carried a Ruger 77/44. It was a very formidable piece extending out of his backpack as he ambled down the trail.

Edited by masterdrago

Might scare off a cub but just piss off Mom šŸ™‚ When I hiked Alaska, I did not feel like I needed anything but there were 4 of us hiking most of the trail so made a lot of noise most of the times. also, we followed very strict protocol concerning being in bear country. The folks I was with were very experienced Alaska hikers and I followed their lead. The guy with the firearm hiked with us the last week and he is an Anchorage resident.

On 4/3/2019 at 12:04 PM, consmarci said:

First trip to Alaska coming up in May. We are doing a land portion (on our own) and will be hiking a bit in the first 30 miles of Denali Park and around Mt. Aleyska, the hand tram hike. Friends have told us we need bearspray. We truly aren't sure if they are joking or not...We haven't really read a review mentioning bearspray and people do a lot crazier things than we're doing. Advice please. Thanks so much.

Bear Spray won't help you much once the bear is on ya....now...A Bazooka...šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ may put the odds in your favour.Ā