Ship photo packages

KB Cruisin

There are posed pictures, in particular if there are suggested formal nights, that are taken at different locations throughout the ship.  But pictures are also taken every night in the main dining room, at random activities around the ship, off the ship at the piers at every port of call, etc., etc.  In most cases they photographers will stop you and suggest a picture be taken, so in that respect I guess all are posed. 

But, to add, the photographers are 3rd party contractors whose job it is to take (and ultimately sell) as many pictures as possible.  So they are literally everywhere if you want your picture taken.  But keep in mind as contractors, a % of each picture sold goes to the cruise line so they are not inexpensive.  Probably better for most of your pictures to take them for free yourselves and limit your purchases to only those (posed or otherwise) that you really like.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

58 minutes ago, leaveitallbehind said:

There are posed pictures, in particular if there are suggested formal nights, that are taken at different locations throughout the ship.  But pictures are also taken every night in the main dining room, at random activities around the ship, off the ship at the piers at every port of call, etc., etc.  In most cases they photographers will stop you and suggest a picture be taken, so in that respect I guess all are posed. 

But, to add, the photographers are 3rd party contractors whose job it is to take (and ultimately sell) as many pictures as possible.  So they are literally everywhere if you want your picture taken.  But keep in mind as contractors, a % of each picture sold goes to the cruise line so they are not inexpensive.  Probably better for most of your pictures to take them for free yourselves and limit your purchases to only those (posed or otherwise) that you really like.

Thank you! That is very helpful. This is the first cruise ever for my husband and me (27 years together). Really, our first vacation ever without kids. We never get pictures with both of us in them. I am debating the photo package for that reason. I will take tons of pictures and will ask others to take our pictures but it would be very nice to have some other photos where we are together. I am not as found of the prom type ones but would love photos of activities and at port. Thank you for your help!

55 minutes ago, KB Cruisin said:

Thank you! That is very helpful. This is the first cruise ever for my husband and me (27 years together). Really, our first vacation ever without kids. We never get pictures with both of us in them. I am debating the photo package for that reason. I will take tons of pictures and will ask others to take our pictures but it would be very nice to have some other photos where we are together. I am not as found of the prom type ones but would love photos of activities and at port. Thank you for your help!

"To each his/her own."

Admittedly, when we first cruised (approx 30 years ago on NCL), DW and I did purchase a posed formal wear pic and a posed casual pic (on promenade above the pool deck). 

That was "one and done" and we are glad we did it (still have those pics).

Fast forward to today where avoidance of pesky photogs is one of the many reasons why we avoid mass market lines.

45 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

"To each his/her own."

Admittedly, when we first cruised (approx 30 years ago on NCL), DW and I did purchase a posed formal wear pic and a posed casual pic (on promenade above the pool deck). 

That was "one and done" and we are glad we did it (still have those pics).

Fast forward to today where avoidance of pesky photogs is one of the many reasons why we avoid mass market lines.

I get it!  That is why I am having a hard time deciding.  This is likely a "once in a lifetime" trip for us.  I have wanted to go on a cruise my entire life.  If I were able to regularly cruise, I would not even think about the photo package.  But, in this case, it would be worth it if they took enough pictures that would be difficult to get otherwise just to document this life event.  I just don't know.....six on one hand and half a dozen on the other!

It costs  nothing to have  the pictures taken. As it's your first vacation together for a good  while, I'd say say 'yes to every photographer  who asks. Go along  to the photo gallery, and if you like one, three,  nine  or 166 of them buy them. 

We did on early cruises, and my wife still uses one of the solo formal  pics as a profile pic on her social media accounts. 

We agree with Flatbush Flyer, haven't purchased a photo from the annoying photogs in at least 20 years. They are just 1 of the reasons we also avoid mainstream lines.

The only thing we did purchase on a couple of cruises was the cruise film, as it included many of the onboard activities and shore-excursions.

I would suggest you wait and SEE the photos before you decide to purchase.  Not all are flattering photos....on our last cruise, they managed to snap the photo when our eyes were either closed, or half-way shut.....so look before you buy!

• Like 1

The photographers will be set up to take a posed photo as you board the ship.  They also may be roaming the decks taking random photos, particularly during sailaway.  If you do any 'scenic cruising' such as Glacier Bay or other glacier areas in Alaska, they will roam the decks to take your pictures with the glaciers in the background.  On a Panama Canal cruise, the cruise line may set a team of photographers off to take ship pictures from the sides of the locks.  Sometimes, a photographer or team will go on an excursion and take pictures.  EM

• Like 1