Watch your SeaPass Account!

15 minutes ago, kag19 said:

Good to know that the charges can be checked on the Royal App!  I didn't even think of this our last cruise so would check the old fashioned way on the TV.  App would be much easier. 🙂 Thanks!

Yes just screen shot it if you need to before the last morning - on the last morning that App has already moved on 🙂

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kochleffel said:

Wow! It sounds as if this is really common. Do you think it is intentional fraud, mere carelessness, or the normal bad IT? In three cruises on aNother Cruise Line I've had no erroneous charges.

All of the above.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Mr. Candyman said:

It's been many years since I've been on RCCL (Voyager of the Seas), but I vaguely remember being able to printout a statement of charges from a kiosk?  

Guest services can print you a copy of your onboard account at any time.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ONECRUISER said:

Same here, never has happened to me. But I always watch/check

It has happened to us several times with the phantom room service water charges but thankfully the bottled water does not appear in staterooms now.

Most expensive mistake was by a pre cruise hotel in Manchester UK where we had 20 breakfasts charged on our bill instead of 2 on our bill for a 1 night stay.

13 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It has happened to us several times with the phantom room service water charges but thankfully the bottled water does not appear in staterooms now.

Most expensive mistake was by a pre cruise hotel in Manchester UK where we had 20 breakfasts charged on our bill instead of 2 on our bill for a 1 night stay.

Wow, like said I always check anyway. To protect us our State Govt passed this law for scanner overcharges: "30 days to contact the store (either in person or in writing). If you have found an error and have your receipt, the store may refund you the difference in pricing plus a “bonus” of ten times the difference. The bonus must be at least $1.00, but may not be more than $5.00"  ....over the years I've made hundreds, probably thousands of dollars. Their mistake, my gain.

Edited by ONECRUISER

I thought it was just us.   We took a break from RCI because of bogus charges and the ensuing arguments with guest services.    I'm hoping we don't have an issue on our upcoming cruise.

In all fairness, Celebrity did once charge us for a missing towel and a drink.   They were easily reversed with no argument.

1 hour ago, ONECRUISER said:

Wow, like said I always check anyway. To protect us our State Govt passed this law for scanner overcharges: "30 days to contact the store (either in person or in writing). If you have found an error and have your receipt, the store may refund you the difference in pricing plus a “bonus” of ten times the difference. The bonus must be at least $1.00, but may not be more than $5.00"  ....over the years I've made hundreds, probably thousands of dollars. Their mistake, my gain.

We’ve got an even better deal up here.  If the item scans wrong it’s free up to a value of $10.  If the item is over that then you get $10 off.  It’s not mandatory that stores participate in the program but most of the large chains do.  I seem to find quite a few errors at Home Depit.  

1 hour ago, AnnaNicole said:

I thought it was just us.   We took a break from RCI because of bogus charges and the ensuing arguments with guest services.    I'm hoping we don't have an issue on our upcoming cruise.

In all fairness, Celebrity did once charge us for a missing towel and a drink.   They were easily reversed with no argument.

The few times I’ve had to go to guest services they have removed the disputed charge without argument. I wait until there is no line.  In amd out in under 5 minutes.  Never had a towel charge.

I find the dining room seems to be the most error prone as we get random drinks from other tables at times.

Also the ordering Diamond drinks can get hazy using the vouchers.   Often times I have to go to the concierge and they can look up exactly what drink was ordered to confirm it is included as a free drink.

Guest services is incredibly unhelpful at times in charge contestation.  One time I was arguing over when I ordered 2 diet cokes 10 minutes before Diamond hour ended.  Each coke was on a different card, one mine and the other my wife.  One was charged after Diamond hour ended.  I argued that I ordered two at the same time and have no idea why the second one was on there after the time had ended.  We got our cards back well before Diamond hour had ended so i know he didn’t swipe them at different times.  Long story short, they argued with me for forever that I bought the drink after 8pm.   After pleading my case for forever they begrudgingly gave me the 3.00 in credit back.  I couldn’t believe how much flack they gave me over a 3.00 charge.   They acted like I was just trying to cheat them out of 3.00.   It was incredibly frustrating.  

16 hours ago, PattyW said:

Back from a great cruise on Allure on March 24th.  Basically, the only downside was having to watch my SeaPass card like a hawk.  I had no fewer than 9 erroneous charges on my account. 

1.  Three different days I was charged for someone else's drinks in the dining room (a $10.XX charge and a $15.XX charge each of those three nights) (6 different charges)

2.  My son and I were each charged for something at the Dog House - this one was an employee error.  We got dogs and sodas (from the gun; we had soda packages) and the worker said he had to run our card.  I thought it was weird but since he didn't ask us to sign something, I figured all was fine - until two charges showed up about a half an hour later; for two different amounts no less even though our orders were exactly the same.  (2 more charge)

3.  Finally, a $50 missing towel charge on my son's account at 4:00am on debarkation day (after the paper bill was received) when he NEVER checked out a towel under his name the entire cruise. 

I had not signed a slip for any of these charges.

Thankfully, checking your account is very easy with the Royal App and I was able to get them reversed as they came up, but what a hassle!  Keep an eye out!

Thanks for the heads up. I have had this happen on multiple cruises as well. Very annoying!

Agree OP.  Watch for towels charges! 

A couple of weeks ago on the Navigator, we would have been erroneously charged $125 for towels (5 towels total) if I hadn't reviewed our paper invoice the last day of the cruise.  It didn't show up until the morning of debarkation.  We made sure to check in, and check out towels properly.

...and $25 for one of those ratty old Royal Caribbean towels?  Are you kidding me?

I wonder how many passengers RCCL is profiting from with these "errors"?

Dan

7 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

A

It’s pretty much the same as the insurance companies.  Deny claim now and call, they and magically it gets fixed and approved.

2 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Interesting, good to know!

12 minutes ago, The Fun Researcher said:

A couple of weeks ago on the Navigator, we would have been erroneously charged $125 for towels (5 towels total) if I hadn't reviewed our paper invoice the last day of the cruise.  It didn't show up until the morning of debarkation.  We made sure to check in, and check out towels properly.

...and $25 for one of those ratty old Royal Caribbean towels?  Are you kidding me?

Dan

This!  And their system is so flawed in tracking them since they don't always count or check on the return.  And it isn't about towels disappearing on board but at ports - they'd do better with different colored "land" towels for ports that you check out prior to getting off at a port and check in upon getting back on board.  That wouldn't stop anyone from sneaking off the blue ones in a bag but who really goes to that much trouble to take/lose a towel?  I expect they really were losing money on towels but not certain they've offset it or that it was enough money to justify the current procedures.

Our table mates folio appeared on our TV. We called guest services and they fixed it to our cabin. But then our table mates drinks were on our folio. Called again and it was fixed. Except now our folio was in German! We got a kick out of seeing our names in German!

I check our account daily to make sure nothing is charged that should not be.  If I have to I go to GS to take care of it.  Not only Royal does this happen, happened to us almost daily on our last Princess cruise

1 hour ago, rimmit said:

I find the dining room seems to be the most error prone as we get random drinks from other tables at times.

Also the ordering Diamond drinks can get hazy using the vouchers.   Often times I have to go to the concierge and they can look up exactly what drink was ordered to confirm it is included as a free drink.

Guest services is incredibly unhelpful at times in charge contestation.  One time I was arguing over when I ordered 2 diet cokes 10 minutes before Diamond hour ended.  Each coke was on a different card, one mine and the other my wife.  One was charged after Diamond hour ended.  I argued that I ordered two at the same time and have no idea why the second one was on there after the time had ended.  We got our cards back well before Diamond hour had ended so i know he didn’t swipe them at different times.  Long story short, they argued with me for forever that I bought the drink after 8pm.   After pleading my case for forever they begrudgingly gave me the 3.00 in credit back.  I couldn’t believe how much flack they gave me over a 3.00 charge.   They acted like I was just trying to cheat them out of 3.00.   It was incredibly frustrating.  

Sheesh, I know they can key in a folio number to charge so I wonder if guest services can show if it was charged by card swipe or manual key in.  Add in the bands on some ships too.  Then of course there could be stolen charges if someone finds your card or band since there are still those manual purchases - usually at the kiosks or the drink guys on the pool deck with trays.  I didn't use any venue that was manual last time though so perhaps these have been reduced.

WOW!  Original poster here.  I can't believe this happens so often.  I knew about the towel charge issue, which is why we were careful to only take out towels on one card, so there was less of a possibility of it getting goofed up and charged.  But, it's clearly random because my son didn't even check out any towels.  I was glad I was awake at 4:00am and checked my phone.  I called customer service immediately and the charge was removed in 10 minutes.  I did notice the details of this cruise disappeared from the app sometime on debarkation day though, so it's hard to keep up.

I was prepared for lots of grief about the charges, but they were good about all of them.  Still - waiting in line at customer service for RCCL errors was not something I cared to do while aboard.

1 hour ago, The Fun Researcher said:

Dan

Couple times I got letter day before end of Cruise that needed to turn in towels but was on B2B and I usually keep Towels for second leg. When received letter just turned in and PU new towels next day. But never been charged so guess I always received letter when might have got charged...

Edited by ONECRUISER