upgrade offer on June cruise

rocklinmom

I was surprised to get an "exclusive upgrade offer" email yesterday from Princess.  Our British Isles cruise is in mid-June.  We have two interior cabins booked (there are five of us) and it was an offer to upgrade to balcony cabins for $269pp.  This is for a 12 day cruise.  With the higher insurance price (only about $21pp) that still made it only $290pp.  Not to mention they only charge for four of us, the fifth person stays the same price as before and I only paid $149 fare for him with the 3 day Europe sale in February.  And best of all, since it's an upgrade from them, not me trying to upgrade us to balcony cabins on my own, we keep our perks - and I wasn't going to give those up (from the same sale: total of $675 OBC, free gratuities for four of us, and specialty restaurant dinner for all of us).  When I called the special upgrade number and left a message I didn't know if I would hear back and I knew from checking the website that there was only one pair of balcony cabins next to each other available on our cruise.  Two hours later I got the call and it all worked out.  I'm still surprised as our cruise is about 75 days out.  But definitely happy to move us to balcony cabins for what I consider a great deal!  So you never know when the upgrade fairy will show up. 

• Like 3

I'm guessing this offer came right after final payment. We got one for the cruise before this (June 6 out of Southampton) right after the 75-day mark. We've had three such offers in the past and they were always right around one month before sailing, so maybe they're acting sooner these days.

By the way, our offer was called both an upgrade offer and an upsell offer in the Princess email, so it seems to me it doesn't matter what people call it as long as it's clear it's paid, not free, when discussing it.

P.S.: That does seem like a mighty good deal. Well worth the extra money.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

By the way, our offer was called both an upgrade offer and an upsell offer in the Princess email, so it seems to me it doesn't matter what people call it as long as it's clear it's paid, not free, when discussing it.

It's a very big difference because (upgrade)  is complimentary and upsell is for a fee. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

The email is entitled "Exclusive Upgrade Offer".  So that's why I called it an upgrade.  And yes I did just pay our final payment on April 2nd (two days before the offer came). 

our final was due on 3/15 and we received/accepted our offer on 3/20 for a sailing mid-May

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rocklinmom said:

The email is entitled "Exclusive Upgrade Offer".  So that's why I called it an upgrade.  And yes I did just pay our final payment on April 2nd (two days before the offer came). 

just looked back at our offer - in the heading of the email - Upsell Offer

once the email was opened - "Exclusive Upgrade Offer"

originally last  year we had  booked the  TA plus  the  British  Isles  cruise , with  a  balcony  for  the  TA  and  an  aft  balcony for  the  British  Isles.  We  then  decided  to  switch  to  obstructed   Oceanview cabins saving   us   $4000 total  (not  really  obstructed,  but   aft  part  of  deck  8)).   Many  different  promotions  for  this B2B  cruise happened  before final  payment.  Some  with  more  OBC  and some  with  free gratuities.  Many  cabin  changes  to  finally  get  us  the  some  obstructed  ocean view  for  the  27  days just  before  final payment.

Then we   received  the  email offer  to take  an  upsell  to  a  balcony.   Willing  to  change  cabins for  the   British  Isles part.

Called  and  left  message.  Received  call  back  and  discussed  that we  were doing   a  B2B.  Took  offer for  TA  and  about  an  hour  later received   second  call  that  the  offer was also being  applied  to  our British  Isles  cruise as  well.  We  were  able  to  get the  same   aft  balcony  for  the  full 27 days.  Best  deal in our  opinion,  total cost was less  than $700 extra for both  of  us.

• Like 1