Need Advice from Experienced Cruisers Please

Lawahl

Yet would the OP have been charged for the drinks if he did not notice, to challenge the bill?  If this was a deliberate practice by the waiter to make nice with some folks at the next seating, he should be called out on it.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The OP did notify Carnival. They notified Guest Services and were basically told not to worry about it. If Carnival doesn’t care about it, and the people who work at Guest Services receive a lot of training on how to handle different situations, than as a passenger I wouldn’t worry about it. This didn’t cost the OP any money and the S&S card/folio number is worthless once the cruise is over.  I get the feeling the OP and some people in this thread like to stir the pot when there isn’t an issue worth worrying about. 

I am not stirring the pot. Quite the opposite really. It was done 21 times. Whether it was deliberate or a mistake, he's doing his job wrong and I wasn't sure if it was something I should pursue further. That's why I posted here.

I also posted here to see if this was a common occurrence or something that just happened to me. 

Edited by Lawahl
  • Like 1

The OP did notify Carnival. They notified Guest Services and were basically told not to worry about it. If Carnival doesn’t care about it, and the people who work at Guest Services receive a lot of training on how to handle different situations, than as a passenger I wouldn’t worry about it. This didn’t cost the OP any money and the S&S card/folio number is worthless once the cruise is over.  I get the feeling the OP and some people in this thread like to stir the pot when there isn’t an issue worth worrying about. 

Just because the people at guest services didn't want to deal with it doesn't mean someone in management would not want to know.  If the employee is knowingly putting charges, even with zero amounts, on another customer's account it's fraud.  It's one thing if the employee wants to give away a cup of coffee or drink, but charging someone else's account on purpose is not cool.  I doubt someone who actually cares about the business would be ok with this.  If anything, management would allow the employee to give out free coffee (or whatever drink).  I highly doubt high management would be ok with an employee falsely ringing it up on someone's account.  

Then again, it could have been a mistake.  If that's the case, thankfully the mistake didn't cost an innocent customer money.  Some people may not notice if there are $10 to $20 on their account that they didn't charge.  

People at the company I work for who give away items to customers without charging them are fired.  It's stealing.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Lawahl said:

I am not stirring the pot. Quite the opposite really. It was done 21 times. Whether it was deliberate or a mistake, he's doing his job wrong and I wasn't sure if it was something I should pursue further. That's why I posted here.

I also posted here to see if this was a common occurrence or something that just happened to me. 

I have cruised on Carnival 26 times and mistakes happen. I make it a point to talk to bartenders, wait staff, cabin stewards, etc. on every cruise.  These people work extremely hard, with a significant number of them supporting families in their home countries because they couldn’t make close to what they make on a ship at home. Like coevan said earlier in this thread, these workers are not going to jeopardize their jobs by deliberately doing something stupid. 

As for mistakes, I just got off a cruise on Horizon last Sunday. On the first day of the cruise, I was charged for two drinks that I didn’t order.  I didn’t worry about it or get upset about it because I usually don’t come close to the 15 drink limit. This is far from the first time this has happened to me. Mistakes like this usually happen when a bar gets very busy.  On Horizon, the atrium bar got slammed after the safety briefing was over and no doubt in my mind it was an honest mistake.  It never crossed my mind to go to Guest Services to complain about this. 

If you cruise on Carnival again, which I hope you do, download the Carnival Hub App and keep your phone with you. You can track all of your purchase with the app. When you are charged for a drink, it will literally show up in the app within 15-30 seconds. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, coevan said:

I hope your joking. Guys going to lose his valuable job for some tips?

Who suggested the waiter should be fired? I said "reprimanded," but I don't remember anyone here saying he should be fired.

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have cruised on Carnival 26 times and mistakes happen.

The guy charged the same person's account 21 times throughout the entire cruise, even when the OP wasn't in the MDR, and you think that's a simple mistake?

Going to Guest Services is not the same as notifying Carnival, because more than likely, it ended with one single Guest Services rep. Notifying Carnival entails bringing it to the attention of management level. Not to mention GS handled it poorly. If this is, in fact, common practice among waiters/bartenders, then GS should've informed the OP of that. But in my opinion, if it is common practice, it shouldn't be. If the waiters need a way to butter up the next table that comes along by floating them "free" drinks, they should not be using another guest's account to do it. If it's so common, why haven't we seen this very question raised many times here on CC?

I find it interesting that you accuse people of "stirring the pot" who are giving the OP exactly what they asked for. That is, opinions on whether they should pursue this further or not. Yet when another user comes along making the false accusation that we're calling for the waiter to be fired, that's not stirring the pot to you. You agree with them "100%." I think you got the whole stirring the pot thing backwards.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Who suggested the waiter should be fired? I said "reprimanded," but I don't remember anyone here saying he should be fired.

The guy charged the same person's account 21 times throughout the entire cruise, even when the OP wasn't in the MDR, and you think that's a simple mistake?

Going to Guest Services is not the same as notifying Carnival, because more than likely, it ended with one single Guest Services rep. Notifying Carnival entails bringing it to the attention of management level. Not to mention GS handled it poorly. If this is, in fact, common practice among waiters/bartenders, then GS should've informed the OP of that. But in my opinion, if it is common practice, it shouldn't be. If the waiters need a way to butter up the next table that comes along by floating them "free" drinks, they should not be using another guest's account to do it. If it's so common, why haven't we seen this very question raised many times here on CC?

I find it interesting that you accuse people of "stirring the pot" who are giving the OP exactly what they asked for. That is, opinions on whether they should pursue this further or not. Yet when another user comes along making the false accusation that we're calling for the waiter to be fired, that's not stirring the pot to you. You agree with them "100%." I think you got the whole stirring the pot thing backwards.

Like you said the OP asked for opinions,  and obviously we view this situation drastically different. Like I said before, it wouldn’t bother me for even a second if I was in the OP’s situation because it had NO impact on me. 

I still stand by my comment about the OP looking to stir the pot, because what possible outcome could they be after other than causing trouble for someone???  It’s not like the OP lost money and was looking to get their money back.  Maybe I am too laid back, but I would never waste time complaining about something that had absolutely NO impact on me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

• Like 1

I still stand by my comment about the OP looking to stir the pot, because what possible outcome could they be after other than causing trouble for someone???  It’s not like the OP lost money and was looking to get their money back.  Maybe I am too laid back, but I would never waste time complaining about something that had absolutely NO impact on me. 

What you're saying is ignore the mistakes - whether they were deliberate or not because they have absolutely NO impact on me. Right? Um... then I guess I should stop correcting students in my class that multiply wrong, or read a word wrong, or steal a pencil from the student sitting next to them. These things have absolutely NO impact on me and would just be causing trouble for the student. 

The mistake was made 12 times with my card and 9 times with my Moms. Intentional or not, that's a lot of mistakes. He was the only waiter to do this the entire cruise. I never once said he should be fired. Heck, I never even suggested he should be reprimanded. It's more about him learning from his mistakes so that he doesn't do it again.

12 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I have cruised on Carnival 26 times and mistakes happen. I make it a point to talk to bartenders, wait staff, cabin stewards, etc. on every cruise.  These people work extremely hard, with a significant number of them supporting families in their home countries because they couldn’t make close to what they make on a ship at home. Like coevan said earlier in this thread, these workers are not going to jeopardize their jobs by deliberately doing something stupid

I think it's funny that you assume that I didn't do this! It's almost like you think I'm stuck up. You don't know me!

My Mom and I had a great time with the staff. We talked to them, laughed with them, got to know them, and vice versa. We became such good friends with a breakfast server that he would wave to us every night at dinner and even found us during lunch at Princess Cays just to chat. On several occasions, we asked for supervisors so we could compliment the outstanding work of someone. We even stopped by Guest Services on several occasions to fill out a more formal compliment card. We took the time to write personalized thank yous when we left extra gratuity. In fact, I won $50 on one deal of video poker and I immediately cashed it out. Could I have brought soemthing for myself? My niece? My students? YES, but I took all $50 and shared it with the friendly staff members that worked so hard that week (And by the way... the waiter that rang up the 21 drinks was one that recieved a share of the wealth). In no way shape or form did I ever act like I was better than them. 

I'm just thinking if it happened to Mom and I a total of 21 times, then how many othet times has it happened? I really just want him to learn from his mistakes so that it doesn't happen again. (That's what I preach to my 3rd grade students all the time). 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, indygirl76 said:

Side note: I'm not 100% sure, because I don't drink coffee, but isn't it free in the MDR anyway? I know the fancy barista coffees are charged, but I thought "regular" was free.... 

They were fancy coffees from the barista.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bingomamma19 said:

I would not think they were getting drinks for themselves at all.  I am sure they do get their own sodas or coffee for free or on some account they have.

The interesting thing is - we had this conversation with our wait staff at dinner one night. They said they have to pay for everything: wifi, laundry, any drink beyond the free drinks offered to Cruisers, and any food served outside of the dinning room that they serve in. They were telling us that their paycheck gets put onto their own S&S type card that they can use on the ship for stuff like that or a special ATM that they can use to send money home. 

If it wasn't for this conversation, I never would have even thought for a minute that he was getting them for himself. 

What a bunch of mean-spirited accusations. I hope none of you have ever made a mistake. Because then all of us could assume the worst in you. Many of you are so certain that the waiter is risking their job to cash in on mountains of canned coca cola tips. Do you have any evidence to back up this open and shut case?

It could also be that someone mixed up the folio numbers. They generally aren't asking for them each time. So if it got mixed up once, it's going to get mixed up for the rest of the cruise. Maybe there could be mal-intent. Who knows. If I noticed it, I would probably report it to a supervisor. From there, that's all the involvement needed from me. Whether someone made a mistake or made a poor choice is not my concern, especially if it didn't impact me.

44 minutes ago, Lawahl said:

The interesting thing is - we had this conversation with our wait staff at dinner one night. They said they have to pay for everything: wifi, laundry, any drink beyond the free drinks offered to Cruisers, and any food served outside of the dinning room that they serve in. They were telling us that their paycheck gets put onto their own S&S type card that they can use on the ship for stuff like that or a special ATM that they can use to send money home. 

If it wasn't for this conversation, I never would have even thought for a minute that he was getting them for himself. 

I still would not think he did this on purpose for his benefit, or anyone elses.   You said he was a 15 year employee?   If this was something he does, it would have been discovered before.   If it was a practice that any of them do, it would have been talked about somewhere here or social media pages.   I have never ever heard of this happening or read about this anywhere.

So...in the end.   Do you want to spend your time chasing this down when it never affected you?   How much time will you dedicate to it?   Just not something I would think twice about after the cruise is done.   One other thought, if you were concerned enough to talk to guest services, why didn't you go directly to the maître d and discuss with him..they are the ones directly in charge of the waiters.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lawahl said:

What you're saying is ignore the mistakes - whether they were deliberate or not because they have absolutely NO impact on me. Right? Um... then I guess I should stop correcting students in my class that multiply wrong, or read a word wrong, or steal a pencil from the student sitting next to them. These things have absolutely NO impact on me and would just be causing trouble for the student. 

The mistake was made 12 times with my card and 9 times with my Moms. Intentional or not, that's a lot of mistakes. He was the only waiter to do this the entire cruise. I never once said he should be fired. Heck, I never even suggested he should be reprimanded. It's more about him learning from his mistakes so that he doesn't do it again.

I think it's funny that you assume that I didn't do this! It's almost like you think I'm stuck up. You don't know me!

My Mom and I had a great time with the staff. We talked to them, laughed with them, got to know them, and vice versa. We became such good friends with a breakfast server that he would wave to us every night at dinner and even found us during lunch at Princess Cays just to chat. On several occasions, we asked for supervisors so we could compliment the outstanding work of someone. We even stopped by Guest Services on several occasions to fill out a more formal compliment card. We took the time to write personalized thank yous when we left extra gratuity. In fact, I won $50 on one deal of video poker and I immediately cashed it out. Could I have brought soemthing for myself? My niece? My students? YES, but I took all $50 and shared it with the friendly staff members that worked so hard that week (And by the way... the waiter that rang up the 21 drinks was one that recieved a share of the wealth). In no way shape or form did I ever act like I was better than them. 

I'm just thinking if it happened to Mom and I a total of 21 times, then how many othet times has it happened? I really just want him to learn from his mistakes so that it doesn't happen again. (That's what I preach to my 3rd grade students all the time). 

I think your last paragraph sums up the problem. Its your job to properly teach your 3rd graders. It’s NOT your job to tell Carnval how to run their business. You had an issue and reported it to Guest Services, who are Carnival’s representatives on the ship. At this point there is really nothing else you can do. You could call Carnival, but you would likely get the same response because nothing negative happened to you as a result of these charges. If you don’t like how Carnival responded to your concern, there are a lot of other great cruise lines out there. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

A lot of you are way too trusting. What tips the scale for me that this was intentional is that he only charged non-alcoholic beverages on an account that had cheers. They would not go against the 15 count daily total for alcoholic beverages making it much much less likely that anyone would notice or care. If it was truly the wrong folio number then either someone had cheers and failed to order a single alcoholic drink with dinner for the length of their cruise or someone was getting free sodas and coffees with dinner every night and neither the person nor the waiter noticed for the entire cruise. I think both is far less likely than the waiter was using the folio for someone with cheers to comp drinks either for himself or for someone who was tipping well.

the fact that guest services blew it off tells me that this is practiced on the ship by msny peoole and they know about it and don’t care. 

Now, I also think that at the end of the day it doesn’t matter and I wouldn’t pursue it post cruise. You weren’t harmed. You did the right thing by bringing it to the attention of people on the ship. Now it’s on them if this is a practice they choose to endorse.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 3

I have to agree with  everyone about the whole 21 drinks, even at nights they weren't there. IF the waiter was giving drinks away, i have a feeling this is a past practice that needs to end. Taking advantage of a drink package like that from a customer who purchased it with their money should only be used by them. not the waiter. Besides, if he's giving drinks to such BIG tippers, maybe he should just buy the drinks himself. 

• Like 2

Anyone who continues to push the ridiculous narrative that this was an honest mistake either hasn't read this entire thread or you'll just defend Carnival at all costs. Or just want to argue. 21 drinks! Drinks charged when the OP wasn't in the MDR. How can you honestly sit there and claim it was just a mistake when it was done nearly 2 dozen times.

Let's not forget that the OP paid good money for the Cheers package. The drinks themselves may not have cost them anything monetarily, but the package did. And they did not buy that package so a rogue waiter could use it on himself or other passengers. Then there's the aspect of sharing. Sharing drinks with Cheers isn't allowed and I'll bet some of you who are defending this waiter have pointed out that rule to others on this forum. Yet when it comes down to it, the waiter is sharing someone else's Cheers package. To make it worse, they were doing it without the person's knowledge. You can spin it any way you want it. It was still wrong.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Organized Chaos said:

Anyone who continues to push the ridiculous narrative that this was an honest mistake either hasn't read this entire thread or you'll just defend Carnival at all costs. Or just want to argue. 21 drinks! Drinks charged when the OP wasn't in the MDR. How can you honestly sit there and claim it was just a mistake when it was done nearly 2 dozen times.

Let's not forget that the OP paid good money for the Cheers package. The drinks themselves may not have cost them anything monetarily, but the package did. And they did not buy that package so a rogue waiter could use it on himself or other passengers. Then there's the aspect of sharing. Sharing drinks with Cheers isn't allowed and I'll bet some of you who are defending this waiter have pointed out that rule to others on this forum. Yet when it comes down to it, the waiter is sharing someone else's Cheers package. To make it worse, they were doing it without the person's knowledge. You can spin it any way you want it. It was still wrong.

So you really think a waiter is going to jeopardize his job by intentionally using someone’s folio card?  I am not saying it’s impossible, but I find that very hard to believe.  I have literally talked to hundreds of crew members  (specifically bartenders, waiters, and cabin stewards) during my 26 cruises on Carnival. With very few exceptions, these people work on ships because they make significantly more money than they can in their home countries. They are not going to jeopardize  their livelihood over a few coffees and sodas.  I think it is far more likely a mistake was made on the first night with folio numbers, and the waiter used the same folio numbers the rest of the cruise. If you cruise on Carnival frequently, you know they never ask to see your S&S card in the MDR after the first time you use it to order a drink (alcohol or non-alcoholic) in the MDR. You also know they rarely have you sign receipts for non-alcoholic drinks in the MDR if you have Cheers. So if a mistake was made the first night, it is no surprise that the same mistake was repeated multiple times during the rest of the cruise. 

Even if I agree with your view that it was a rogue waiter (I don’t), Guest Services made it pretty clear to the OP that it wasn’t a big deal. The OP made that point very clear, and despite not agreeing with the OP’s view on this situation, I have never doubted the OP’s story. So even if what you believed really happened, Guest Services didn’t care about it.  So if I am in your shoes, or more accurately the OP’s shoes, I have to make a decision if I want to continue to cruise on a cruise line that allows that kind of behavior. 

And if you re-read the entire thread, you will see that the OP was not looking for opinions.  They were looking for people who agreed with their view on the situation. They have not once agreed with the several comments by me and others who have said this is nothing to worry about. 

On 4/5/2019 at 4:27 PM, Lottacruises said:

The head waiter was giving free drinks to some big tippers at the later seating.

This was EXACTLY what I was thinking as well.  If the same waiter was using their Folio number, I would think that Carnival would want to know about it.  I'd be pretty mad if it was happening to me as well.  

• Like 1

It might not be that far fetched for an employee to take the chance on charging someone elses folio for drinks who has cheers, especially if there are so many who will shrug if off and say "what does it matter, didn't cost me anything"  "wouldn't waste a moment worrying about it, didn't affect me personally" etc etc etc.  

And as for the employee having worked for Carnival for 15 years - I don't know what year Cheers started but I don't think it's been around 15 years.  Maybe not even 10.  If this is some sort of deliberate practice instead of a sloppy mistake, it probably took crew some time to realize how they could work the system to comp drinks to passengers.  

And I've never bought Cheers, but my son gets the bottomless bubbles package every cruise.  And it has been standard for the wait staff to take his card every single time he orders a soda at dinner.  Sometimes half way through the cruise they go by memory or whatever on the folio number, but have never seen this right off the bat.   Also not always, some cruises they take the card every single day of the cruise.  

Edited by CanWeGoYet?
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, CanWeGoYet? said:

It might not be that far fetched for an employee to take the chance on charging someone elses folio for drinks who has cheers, especially if there are so many who will shrug if off and say "what does it matter, didn't cost me anything"  "wouldn't waste a moment worrying about it, didn't affect me personally" etc etc etc.  

And as for the employee having worked for Carnival for 15 years - I don't know what year Cheers started but I don't think it's been around 15 years.  Maybe not even 10.  If this is some sort of deliberate practice instead of a sloppy mistake, it probably took crew some time to realize how they could work the system to comp drinks to passengers.  

And I've never bought Cheers, but my son gets the bottomless bubbles package every cruise.  And it has been standard for the wait staff to take his card every single time he orders a soda at dinner.  Sometimes half way through the cruise they go by memory or whatever on the folio number, but have never seen this right off the bat.   Also not always, some cruises they take the card every single day of the cruise.  

We give our waiter our folio number on 1st night and he never asks for our card again. And I and my wife have atleast 2-3 drinks during dinner. (FYI...we always have Cheers) Additionally our 1st drink is already on our table when we sit down (late seating). IMO...waiter just mixed up folio numbers and charged another table to OP's account. Also..when I review my bill I could careless how many beverages are listed, as if I could remember anyway!!....as long as I see a $0.00 I'm satisfied. Interestingly... I didn't read OP stating they had beverages each evening in MDR....Did they?? 

Edited by lcpagejr

The more I think about it, I think we’re getting something wrong. We’ve all been saying the OP wasn’t charged for those drinks. In reality, yes they were. They paid for those drinks by paying for Cheers. Having Cheers doesn’t make drinks free, you just pay ahead of time. Was the waiter using the OP’s Cheers to comp drinks to others who don’t have Cheers? If so, that’d mean the OP was paying for other people’s drinks without their knowledge. Or was the waiter using the OP’s Cheers to get drinks for other passengers who also have Cheers? If so, he should be using their accounts, not the OP’s. That is total incompetence. 

20 minutes ago, lcpagejr said:

IMO...waiter just mixed up folio numbers and charged another table to OP's account.

21 times.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

The more I think about it, I think we’re getting something wrong. We’ve all been saying the OP wasn’t charged for those drinks. In reality, yes they were. They paid for those drinks by paying for Cheers. Having Cheers doesn’t make drinks free, you just pay ahead of time. Was the waiter using the OP’s Cheers to comp drinks to others who don’t have Cheers? If so, that’d mean the OP was paying for other people’s drinks without their knowledge. Or was the waiter using the OP’s Cheers to get drinks for other passengers who also have Cheers? If so, he should be using their accounts, not the OP’s. That is total incompetence. 

21 times.

Missing my point.... We never signed anything on our Vista cruise in the Dining Room. Thats why I believe waiter just mixed up numbers....and probably had them on a piece of paper and when billing out just used the wrong # consistently. That makes me think it wasn't a one time thing and he used that mixed up number for the whole cruise. Mistakes happen...no need to sweat the small stuff if you weren't impacted financially. 

On 4/5/2019 at 4:49 PM, Lawahl said:

Hi! I just returned from my first cruise on the Carnival Liberty yesterday. My Mom and I both had the CHEERS package. While reviewing our account summary, we counted 21 total "charges" between the 2 of us for drinks that we never ordered. I realize that we don't have to pay for any of them because we had the CHEERS program, but the "charges" seem very fishy. Let me explain. All 21 drinks were added by our Team Head Waiter from dinner between the hours of 6pm and 9:30pm on all 4 nights of the cruise. We had early dining and didn't even go to the dining room one night. At first I thought it could just be a mistake, but an employee with 15 plus years of experience doesn't... shouldn't... make this mistake 21 times! If he was accidentally using my sail and sign number for someone else, you can't tell me they never once noticed the wrong name or room number when they signed the receipt. All 21 drinks were either a can of Coke or a Coffee. The only thing I can come up with is that he was getting drinks for himself. I called Guest Services before leaving the ship and they just kept saying "Well, you don't have to pay for it." My question is this: Does that matter? The guy made a mistake 21 times. Do you think it was a mistake or he was getting drinks for himself? What else could he have been doing? Should I let someone else from Carnival know? What would you do? I feel duped. I hate walking away from my first cruise feeling disappointed. 

ive noticed int he past when I happen to order a soda or a mixed drink with soda in it from the MDR the waiter wouldn't "ring" it in until later, usually they write it down on their pad and then put it in the computer system later when they have more time. usually they prepare those drinks themselves a lot of times. I can only imagine how busy they must be during dinner time with all those people. if you didn't order anything with soda in it then you can let carnival know if you think it's necessary