Amount of alcohol allowed through customs

bjtravelnews

I brought 6 bottles (750 ml)  through customs in Miami and paid zero taxes or duties. Bought them on St. Martin.  But if you go through Galveston you will have to pay the Texas state tax on each bottle. But you do get a nifty Texas tax stamp that they tell you that you must put it on the bottle.

2 hours ago, bjtravelnews said:

Hello to all.  Does anyone know where I can find the information on how much alcohol is allowed to be brought into the country from a cruise.  I thought it was one large bottle a person, but don't remember.  Thanks!

Assuming "the country" means the US..... you will find your official answer here:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/190/~/bringing-alcohol-(including-homemade-wine)-to-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

"There is no federal limit on the amount of alcohol a traveler may import into the U.S. for personal use, however, large quantities might raise the suspicion that the importation is for commercial purposes, and a CBP officer could require the importer to obtain an Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau (TTB) import license (which is required for all commercial importations) before releasing it.  A general rule of thumb is that 1 case of alcohol is a personal use quantity - although travelers are still subject to state restrictions which may allow less"

Edited by esm54687

4 hours ago, bjtravelnews said:

Hello to all.  Does anyone know where I can find the information on how much alcohol is allowed to be brought into the country from a cruise.  I thought it was one large bottle a person, but don't remember.  Thanks!

Just curious. How often do the check the luggage?

1L duty free, 2L if one is produced in the Caribbean.  It increases if you go through the USVI.

What can I bring back from the Caribbean?

As a general rule, travelers to Caribbean Basin Initiative (CBI)countries are allowed a $800 duty-free exemption on their return to the U.S. You may include two liters of alcoholic beverages with this $800 exemption, as long as one of the liters was produced in one of the CBI countries.

The duty exemption for travelers returning from the U.S. Virgin Islands is $1,600. You may include 1,000 cigarettes as part of this exemption, but at least 800 of them must have been acquired in the U.S. Virgin Islands (keep your receipt). You may include five liters of alcoholic beverages in your duty-free exemption, but one of them must be a product of the U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam, or American Samoa.

Last time thru Miami , they used facial recognition to get thru customs, no paperwork or passports, no checking of luggage, so unless they they use  on board purchases and what you bring on board from stops

I did not see anyone stopped and checked

16 hours ago, bjtravelnews said:

It all depends on where you sail, and what you buy. The place for the deefinitive answer is the US CBP web site.

General rule is one liter per person over 21 is duty free, BUT if you sail in the the Caribbean basin, you can bring up to five liters per person if at least one liter is from the basin.

15 hours ago, conciergecruiser said:

Hello All, 

Could I ask if they really enforce the 1 carton of cigs thru NYC port arriving back from the Bahamas? I know that at times the duty free shops will run a special on the last day where you buy 3 cartons and get 1 carton free..

Thank you..

You make a verbal declaration to the US Customs and Boarder Patrol that you are not exceeding the limits set forth. Should you make a false statement to the CBP, you are smuggling and subject to enforcement actions. 

I’m guessing an eastern itinerary taking in St Thomas and Puerto Rico as well as Tortola means the only alcohol I purchase that might be liable for customs duties would be that bought in Tortola or on the ship, as the others are US territory. 

Of course when I get back to Ireland it’s a whole other issue as *all* of it will be imports. 

13 hours ago, ray98 said:

1L duty free, 2L if one is produced in the Caribbean.  It increases if you go through the USVI.

Actually it refers to CBI countries, which is something different. There are Caribbean islands that are not in the CBI, such as Cuba and Martinique. There are also non-Caribbean locales in the CBI, such as the Bahamas. 

Always report what you bought.  Place boxes on top of luggage for inspection.  Have a blank check made out and attempt to use it to pay customs.....this has worked for us for over 30 yrs...have not yet paid anything....the officers just usually smile and tell you to go on.  Honesty  has always been the best police.😉