Pre-set Tables in World Cafe Is Creeping Me Out

SargassoPirate

Well, we're usually too busy either relaxing or enjoying ourselves to take too much notice of whether glasses/cups are inverted or not.  However, I will say that I do prefer such items to be in the proper upright position/attitude and not resting on placemats or a table surface - mainly because we don't fancy using a glass or cup which has been directly in contact with a table anywhere which may have been 'wiped down' with a cloth which has been previously used.

I do agree with the handwashing - and usually handwash and use our own handwipe stuff frequently, and I refrain from touching handles or rails wherever possible.

The way the cafeteria operates on VO is nice, and I don't object at all to tables being laid.  

• Like 1

Reasons to not eat at a buffet:

————————————-

• What are we, cattle?  The number one rule in life is to never stand in line.  If you have to, the activity is too common and you should find something more exclusive/lesser-known to do, change time of day, etc.
  • Unknown how long food has sat there.  Was it from yesterday’s buffet?
  • Zillions of germ-y hands touch the serving utensil handles.
  • People cough/sneeze on the food (despite the shields).
  • Little kids handle the food and put it back.
  • Saw an adult taste something and put it back!
  • On some items, people use their hands to grab them, touching other items in the process.  Saw a lady sorting through a large bread basket with her hands to find the item she wanted.
  • People lay the germ-ladened handle portion of the serving utensil on the food.
  • You can end up with goo on your hands from said utensil handles.
  • Buffets are quick-turn affairs, inviting short-cuts by staff.
  • Buffets induce gluttony, especially by me.  Why did I eat 12 strips of bacon?  Because it was there!
  • Food should be prepared to order, so that it is the right temp, texture, etc.
  • To quote Devo: “Freedom of choice is what you got, freedom from choice is what you want.”  Buffets offer way too many choices so I generally end up with a giant pile of un-harmonious selections.  Like sushi and german chocolate cake on the same plate... (This may only be a personal problem.)
  • Corollary to too many choices: My plate ends up looking like a dog’s breakfast, rather than the artful presentation of a served meal. I rarely add parsley garnish to my pile, not enough room!
  • Figuring out how to indicate to the bus-boy that you will be back to the table.
  • And the worst thing is your table mate(s) getting up mid-conversation to go get more stuff.

There are probably many more reasons, feel free to add to the list.

Keep in mind, we have only cruised on all-inclusive luxury ships (well, excepting one Windstar cruise, which we regretted), and encountered all of the above.

Buffets are just a plain bad idea.  We avoid them like the plague.

And don’t get me started on public jacuzzis....

• Haha 1

Hi Ragnar,

I soo agree with you about buffets. Last time on a Viking cruise I had a plate with sushi and lamb on it. Right then I decided buffets are not for me. I much prefer the cohesiveness of a well planned plate in The Restaurant but I understand while others may prefer a buffet. To each his own!!

Jeffrey

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

The number one rule in life is to never stand in line

Really? You must be disappointed quite frequently.

I live my life by a different set of rules and never standing in line is DEFINITELY NOT #1.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, TruJeffie said:

Hi Ragnar,

I soo agree with you about buffets. Last time on a Viking cruise I had a plate with sushi and lamb on it. 

Jeffrey

How did that happen?  I thought you were putting everything on there if it was a buffet.

51 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Viking could sell an extra service. . A private butler who would stand in line and get your food for you.  (I think that is called a restaurant.)

And we are talking about the WC which is a buffet.  Now a private butler is really going to drive up the cost of the cruise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

What are we, cattle?  The number one rule in life is to never stand in line.  If you have to, the activity is too common and you should find something more exclusive/lesser-known to do, change time of day, etc.

• Unknown how long food has sat there.  Was it from yesterday’s buffet?
  • Buffets induce gluttony, especially by me.  Why did I eat 12 strips of bacon?  Because it was there!
  • Food should be prepared to order, so that it is the right temp, texture, etc.
  • To quote Devo: “Freedom of choice is what you got, freedom from choice is what you want.”  Buffets offer way too many choices so I generally end up with a giant pile of un-harmonious selections.  Like sushi and german chocolate cake on the same plate... (This may only be a personal problem.)
  • Corollary to too many choices: My plate ends up looking like a dog’s breakfast, rather than the artful presentation of a served meal. I rarely add parsley garnish to my pile, not enough room!
  • And the worst thing is your table mate(s) getting up mid-conversation to go get more stuff.

There are probably many more reasons, feel free to add to the list.

I am not going add more to the list however here is my response to some of you bullet points.

1.  "Cattle".  So you NEVER stand in lines?  I assume your significant other does the grocery shopping, and shopping in general.  there are lines everywhere in life.  The only way to avoid them is to never you leave your domicile

2.  "Unknown how long the food has sat there".   Restaurants have "hold times" where they can only be on the line for a certain period of time, once that time has been reached it is removed.  

3.  "Gluttony"  This seems to be a self control problem.  I have no issue in self regulating the amount of food that I put on my plate.  Don't feel the need to pile on the food. 

4 and 5.  "Devo" and "Corollary" .  Again sounds like a self control problem.  When I go to a buffet it approach it in courses.  I first go up and get salads, or soups.  Then when I finish that course, I get my main coarse and sides.  If I desire dessert then I get that. 

In regards to the amount of food I pile on my plate,  I don't dump the food on my plate, I do try to make it like what you would see at a restaurant with plated meals.  I understand that they won't run out of a particular item, so I can always go back for seconds if so desired.

5. Tablemates.  Sounds like you have rude table mates.  All it takes, is an "excuse me" from them, while they go get more food.  How do you feel about people leaving your table to use the rest room and as extension if you are sitting in lounge in conversation with them.  I assume you would find this acceptable (and probably have done it your self).  Excusing oneself to get more food (or in my case my next course) is no different.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

And don’t get me started on public jacuzzis....

Agree Raggie...Yuck

Am I the only one that found humor in what you wrote? I must have a strange sense of humor because I chuckled.

4 hours ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Edited by TrulyBlonde
error

Ragnar, I can't add to the list because I truly find it a bit over the top.  My first thought on this whole post was how do people go through life worrying about every little germ that might be lurking.  Then I read your post about buffets and just shook my head.  What can I say?   We ate many, many, meals at the World Cafe.  Never got sick.  Never over indulged because I have self control.  If I don't want sushi and chocolate cake on the same plate, I would simply get two plates or better yet finish my meal and then go for dessert.  World Cafe does have made to order items.   The staff was always attentive.   I would never feel like a fellow passenger is being rude by getting up midstream of a conversation at a buffet. 

Edited by jiminyC_fan
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, jiminyC_fan said:

Ragnar, I can't add to the list because I truly find it a bit over the top.  My first thought on this whole post was how do people go through life worrying about every little germ that might be lurking.  Then I read your post about buffets and just shook my head.  What can I say?   We ate many, many, meals at the World Cafe.  Never got sick.  Never over indulged because I have self control.  If I don't want sushi and chocolate cake on the same plate, I would simply get two plates or better yet finish my meal and then go for dessert  I would never feel like a fellow passenger is being rude by getting up midstream of a conversation at a buffet. 

Unless the conversation has drifted to going on and on....and on about the buffet.  most of things listed either show lack of self control or understanding of proper etiquette.  Maybe we all need to be schooled in manners.  Of course, we'll have to add the cost of that to the cruise.  Also, fitting into Vikings target market age, haven't we all had things in our mouth, growing up and lived to tell the tell?  Maybe we're just getting too old and paranoid to travel. No one wants to get sick or be hit by a car but you take your chances when you leave the house and most of us returned unscathed.

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Dauntless said:

Also, fitting into Vikings target market age, haven't we all had things in our mouth, growing up and lived to tell the tell?  Maybe we're just getting too old and paranoid to travel. No one wants to get sick or be hit by a car but you take your chances when you leave the house and most of us returned unscathed.

Hence the concept of “eating is not a sterile process”!  And I think it was Zitsky that laughingly said “Noro everywhere”.  Well, in fact, yes.  Also staph, MRSA, flu, E. coli, and so on.  Defend yourself.  Wash your hands.  Before and after - everything, if you get my drift.

This whole thread has begun to make me paranoid.  ( I’m already old.) Of course, on our last/first VO cruise, this board made me paranoid about whether my wardrobe might possibly offend someone.  At least there haven’t been any dress code questions lately.  

Maybe I’ll just pack a supply of bologna sandwiches and eat in my cabin.  Wearing my jeans that I smuggled aboard.

Sheesh.

P.S.  +1 to jiminyC, Dauntless and Gator

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Ragnar:

What do you think goes on in the kitchen of restaurants? Without question, the standards of cleanliness on the ship and by all the personnel preparing and serving your food are vastly superior to the controls in 95% of restaurants. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Richard2 said:

Ragnar:

What do you think goes on in the kitchen of restaurants? Without question, the standards of cleanliness on the ship and by all the personnel preparing and serving your food are vastly superior to the controls in 95% of restaurants. 

Though many years ago, I did my stint working as a waitress. I will definitely second your claim!

• Like 1

I just returned from the same cruise that the OP was on. I will confirm that the placemats disappeared, then reappeared when restrictions were lifted. Then, disappeared again after 24 hours. We never received a new letter, but bar staff told us the ship was under a "code red" and they couldn't serve us "salty snacks" in any of the bars. Most visits to the World Cafe had staff standing in front of the hand sanitizer, funneling passengers to the sinks. Many people simply ignored them. We personally met two people who had presumed Noro. One likely contracted it before boarding, and was only sick for about 6 hours. The other also became ill the first night, and was quarantined for 24 hours.

Of course, right in the middle of the "outbreak" we had our hurricane force wind event which caused us to miss Santorini....I'm sure that didn't help things.

Robin

16 hours ago, Richard2 said:

Ragnar:

Retired Chef here.  You do not want to see how the proverbial sausage is made....

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Morganw42 said:

Retired Chef here.  You do not want to see how the proverbial sausage is made....

True, but hopefully it is fully cooked and thus killing the bacteria before it is consumed.

That is different from poorly cleaned placemats upon which upside-down glasses and utensils are placed.

Edited by Paulchili
  • Like 1

On 4/7/2019 at 2:45 PM, Paulchili said:

To “acwmom”

Obviously Viking knows that the mats aren't sanitary or they wouldn't bother to remove them when they know they have a problem. Having operated hotels for over 30 years with numerous food and beverage venues, I can tell you that the rims of glassware were considered sacrosanct. Our waiters and waitresses (in my time we had both!) knew that touching those rims when placing or removing glassware was verboten and reason for dismissal. Glassware rims touching “dirty” place mats should also be verboten.

Is Viking continuing to use them because some ____ designer thinks they look nice?

• Like 1