When did Princess quit including tonic water with the Elite bar set-up?

4cats4me

We are Elite, been on Princess 27 times since 1991....    

Years ago one could specify what specific items you wanted in your mini-bar, but no longer...I understand why this is not done now, due to need for quick turnaround of cabins on disembarkation/embarkation days, it would be difficult for the room stewards or room service to get the mini-bar right.  So I always trade out all liquor in for Skyy Vodka, Perrier for reg water,  keep 1 coke, & trade sprite & other coke in for more tonic.

What makes me SO FURIOUS is that we only get 1 mini-bar setup even on a 14 or 15 day (or longer) cruise!!!   NOT fair when we are on the ship so long -- going to be on a 13 nt one in July & dreading having only 1 mini-bar setup & can only bring on 2 bottles of wine!!!!   

PLUS NOW that there is NO Happy Hour with BOGO+$1 which was always packed.... AND the crazy concoctions called "drinks" (so awful) at the Platinum/Elite 5-7 pm cocktail thing for $5 or $6 !  Why can't I just get a regular Vodka-Tonic or Manhattan at that event for that price???     Come on, Princess, give us a break!!

4 minutes ago, Cruisin Kay D said:

Years ago one could specify what specific items you wanted in your mini-bar, but no longer...I understand why this is not done now, due to need for quick turnaround of cabins on disembarkation/embarkation days, it would be difficult for the room stewards or room service to get the mini-bar right.  So I always trade out all liquor in for Skyy Vodka, Perrier for reg water,  keep 1 coke, & trade sprite & other coke in for more tonic.

What makes me SO FURIOUS is that we only get 1 mini-bar setup even on a 14 or 15 day (or longer) cruise!!!   NOT fair when we are on the ship so long -- going to be on a 13 nt one in July & dreading having only 1 mini-bar setup & can only bring on 2 bottles of wine!!!!   

PLUS NOW that there is NO Happy Hour with BOGO+$1 which was always packed.... AND the crazy concoctions called "drinks" (so awful) at the Platinum/Elite 5-7 pm cocktail thing for $5 or $6 !  Why can't I just get a regular Vodka-Tonic or Manhattan at that event for that price???     Come on, Princess, give us a break!!

Furious? It's all good.........we are lucky to get one.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

I’m happy with what I get.  It’s all a bonus, certainly not enough to make me FURIOUS, or even slightly upset.

Not sure I would be furious as that only hurts me, not Princess.  However, your point is well taken.  Giving out mini bar for 7d same as for 15d, etc, isn't quite logical when you consider you get increased OBC for stock & military depending on length of cruise.  Would make more sense if the mini bar set up followed along - if longer cruise, another restock would be appreciated.

22 minutes ago, daletabu said:

Not sure I would be furious as that only hurts me, not Princess.  However, your point is well taken.  Giving out mini bar for 7d same as for 15d, etc, isn't quite logical when you consider you get increased OBC for stock & military depending on length of cruise.  Would make more sense if the mini bar set up followed along - if longer cruise, another restock would be appreciated.

Don't understand the posters point.....just ranting...and IMHO that is perfectly okay.....But, as you probably know less than 10 years ago Princess did not give OBC for Stock or Military, also not everyone qualifies for this OBC.Do those who receive this benefit think they are entitled to it...or view it as a gift.

BTW.....you get a 1 mini set up for 1,3,10,28, 49 days no logic to it.It's a gift from Princess

Just the way it is?

Edited by land lover

1 hour ago, land lover said:

Don't understand the posters point.....just ranting...and IMHO that is perfectly okay.....But, as you probably know less than 10 years ago Princess did not give OBC for Stock or Military, also not everyone qualifies for this OBC.Do those who receive this benefit think they are entitled to it...or view it as a gift.

BTW.....you get a 1 mini set up for 1,3,10,28, 49 days no logic to it.It's a gift from Princess

Just the way it is?

I view the OBC as a gift, as well as the additional very much appreciated ability to combine OBC's. Princess is very generous in that department and I am a huge fan! 💕💕💕

17 minutes ago, kjg46 said:

Had anyone traded cognac and the scotch whiskey for Bourbon (whiskey) and/or rum? Seems like the bar selections are a bit dated.

agreed - but never have seen anyone posting about being able to get rum or bourbon ... we would do that ...

On 4/8/2019 at 1:39 PM, Cruisin Kay D said:

Princess has always let us bring on 2 bottles of wine from each port.  Once while doing an overnighter in Venice we kept going to our favorite wine shop that the locals go to and kept coming onboard with a couple of the local bottles of wine.  By time the ship left we had 10 bottles lined up in our cabin...(.it was a TA and we had about 23 days ahead of us😀)  Other times we just walked to the local groceries near the port and buy a couple of local wine.......you can't beat wine that "the locals" drink !!!😊

On 4/8/2019 at 1:43 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

When you go to the Captains party you can always ask the servers for whatever drink you want....we always get at least 2 Kalula and creams😎 there is no charge....

12 hours ago, land lover said:

Just the way it is?

Our experience is that the mini-bar setup is done for each segment of a cruise, so that 28 or 49 day cruise will have several segments and thus several setups.