Future of the M Class ships???

bookitdanno

Now that we know that all the existing ships will be "Revolutionized"....

And we know that Celebrity has placed the order for a 5Th Edge Class ship...

What do you think the future WILL be for the "M" Class Ships"???

What do you think the future SHOULD be for the "M Class ships???

I realized that this is all speculation, but why not? Let's have some FUN!

1 minute ago, bookitdanno said:

Now that we know that all the existing ships will be "Revolutionized"....

And we know that Celebrity has placed the order for a 5Th Edge Class ship...

What do you think the future WILL be for the "M" Class Ships"???

What do you think the future SHOULD be for the "M Class ships???

I realized that this is all speculation, but why not? Let's have some FUN!

Our all time favorite ship is still the  Millennium - love the main dining room, thallostherapy pool and the sauna with the gigantic porthole window.. We were on it when it was new and now it is almost twenty years old.  Glad they are putting money into the M- Class ships, so they probably will be around for a while.  I believe just like the Century - they put in 55 million in and then the Century and the other Century class ships - Mercury and Galaxy -- were sent off to TUI or Mein Schiff.  RCCL has a piece of TUI. We also go back to Horizon and Zenith - and the $35 fee to join the Captain's Club...😊🍸    

43 minutes ago, neilrr said:

Our all time favorite ship is still the  Millennium - love the main dining room, thallostherapy pool and the sauna with the gigantic porthole window.. We were on it when it was new and now it is almost twenty years old.  Glad they are putting money into the M- Class ships, so they probably will be around for a while.  I believe just like the Century - they put in 55 million in and then the Century and the other Century class ships - Mercury and Galaxy -- were sent off to TUI or Mein Schiff.  RCCL has a piece of TUI. We also go back to Horizon and Zenith - and the $35 fee to join the Captain's Club...😊🍸    

Unfortunately, I believe the free saunas in the men's and women's changing rooms are no longer there after the addition of 13 new A1 cabins on deck 10 forward starboard (the changing rooms appear to be less than half the size of what they used to be.) The LLP doth taketh away!

We just finished a B2B on the Edge and loved it, the Infinite Balcony design is what we enjoy plus the very modern decor of the Edge, and I assume the following E-Class ships. And will enjoy C-Class cruising when the expand their itineraries out of the Caribbean (and prices line up more with S- and M- Class ships!). 

As for M-Class, will cruise them as much as any other Celebrity Class ship, love their T-Spa pool and with the glass enclosed showers, that will be great. With that said....

They’ve put a good deal off money into Revolutionizing M-Class ships that will keep them in line with some of the changes introduced by E-Class, and this is a good deal more money than the refurb’s they did on Mercury ships so my very not-based-on-facts guess is, we’ll see M-Class stay a while. This allows Celebrity to expand their itineraries with more ships, and Celebrity seems to be doing just fine as part of the RCL business model. I realize stocks don’t fully reflect business status/success, but I bought RCL at $17 and it’s now $120+; CCL I bought at $44 and its now $53. So RCL is doing something right. And I hope that includes keeping M-Class for an extended time. I wish I’d told that buyer to take Every dime I had and buy RCL stock!! And he told me I shouldn’t be buying stock just because I get goodies for cruising with them. He ate his words a year or so later and bought in too!!

Heck, I’m booked on Summit for the NE/Canada cruise in Oct 2020 and the Millennium for the Japan-Cross Pacific cruise in April 2021. I guess I’m not the ‘wait to the last minute’ type guy! So M-Class appears to be with us for at least 2+ years. 

Lets all hope they keep the Big M’s!

Den 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NantahalaCruiser said:

Unfortunately, I believe the free saunas in the men's and women's changing rooms are no longer there after the addition of 13 new A1 cabins on deck 10 forward starboard (the changing rooms appear to be less than half the size of what they used to be.) The LLP doth taketh away!

When the Millennium moved the men's changing room to the port side they did put in a new sauna (no porthole window). I didn't get to use it on our Asia cruise in March but it and the changing room looked very nice.

We’ve only done Solstice and Millenium Class ships so far (not yet tried the edge). 

We’re soon leaving on the Constellation and then the Millenium. We really enjoyed our experiences on the M Class and I sure hope they will stay around for a while. I am not a fan of 5000 + on board (passengers and crew combined) a sea going vessel which are now offered in the cruise industry. 

• Like 1

Personally would have preferred M class being regressed rather than revolutionized.  Bring back the service level and food quality from when they debuted 20 years ago.  Add a few all-inclusive percs and they would compete effectively with Oceania, Regent, VO, etc.  They could charge more than current X, but less than Royal's premium brand Silversea.

1 hour ago, STLCRUISIN said:

When the Millennium moved the men's changing room to the port side they did put in a new sauna (no porthole window). I didn't get to use it on our Asia cruise in March but it and the changing room looked very nice.

Good to know - thanks!

We've only sailed once each on the M class (Infinity, 2017) and S class (Silhouette, 2018).  Loved both ships!  Although it would have been nice to have an additional restaurant choice (not suite related), the experience on Infinity was terrific.  We loved the Solarium especially.  We did not feel that the ship was "run down" or "old" at all, though it was obvious it didn't have some of the new things introduced in recent years - it did not detract.  It is a great size, and never felt too crowded.We will be on the Connie shortly in November 2019, and looking forward to enjoying it. As long as they aren't allowed to be "run down", we would certainly consider sailing them. 

• Haha 1

Only been on Summit for the M class but fondly remember Zenith and Horizon from 25 years ago.  Silhouette twice and did love it.  We are booked on the Infinity later this year and looking forward to it.  

I think the M class ships fill a niche for people who want a smaller ship and more ships gives X more itinerary choices.

I'd imagine that M class will be around for another 8 to 12 years based on the investment that's just been made in their revolution program. I'd imagine that once they roll out a brand new class of ship post E class then they'll be phased out. 

Unless of course passenger numbers and fares make it worth while keeping them. But with so much expansion from other lines with more modern ships I think they'll be replaced. 

Don't forget that the M-Class are gas turbine powered which seemed like a good idea at the time.  Since the price of fuel has gone up considerably, I doubt there are as many cruise lines (or subsidiaries) willing to take them on unless the cost of acquisition was reduced.  Also many of the lines that took the Century class are taking new builds.  I don't see the demise of Summit and Millennium any time soon.  Infinity and Connie may be more attractive if purchased before they revolution. Hopefully X can maintain the level of service with the new Edge classes coming on line.  I recall there was a brief dip as they introduced the Solstice class.  

Wish they would  turn one of them into a true spa ship. " CELEBRITY  SPA at SEA"...with a true  mineral jetted T pool,  a great thermal suite, pools, gym, yoga classes, meditation,  tranquil music,  top notch healthy spa cuisine etc,  Bet they could fill it with spa cruisers, birthdays,  wedding showers etc

Alas, X never steals my great ideas!

Edited by hcat

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Wish they would  turn one of them into a true spa ship. " CELEBRITY  SPA at SEA"...with a true  mineral jetted T pool,  a great thermal suite, pools, gym, yoga classes, meditation,  tranquil music,  top notch healthy spa cuisine etc,  Bet they could fill it with spa cruisers, birthdays,  wedding showers etc

Alas, X never steals my great ideas!

That would keep me away from the ship , giving you more room 

My original thought was that they could possibly turn one of them into a "Charter Only" ship,

and have that be the only ship for charter.

That would solve the problem of cancelling reservations when they wanted to charter out a ship.

On 4/12/2019 at 4:51 PM, NantahalaCruiser said:

On 4/12/2019 at 6:02 PM, STLCRUISIN said:

It's all about the money and the generation of revenue... Sorry to hear about the sauna and the picture window. It was just beautiful. Someone else made a comment about the food.  We loved when Michel Roux was there -- it was the best... Hope to take Millennium again sometime... Happy Cruising!!!