2 bags per person question

linky99

When Carnival says "2 bags per person for a 7 day cruise" do you interpret this as 2 checked bags (carryons not included in this count), or checked and carryons total. We are having trouble limiting ourselves to 1 bag checked and 1 bag carryon per person considering we are bringing beverages, etc. I can do 2 checked per person and 1 carry on each - do you think that will fly?

Sailing in 3 days, so appreciate your replies!

I'm sure you can check 4 bags and carry on whatever you need.  I've never worried about limiting how many bags I carry, but I do try to only take what is needed.  I've never seen anything that said that you could only take 2 bags each, but that doesn't mean it's not out there.  Just make sure to tip the porters well when you drop your bags off.

26 minutes ago, CoW mAn said:

Where does it say this?

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1373/~/embarkation---luggage-information

Embarkation - Luggage Information

To help you plan, we suggest you limit your luggage to a maximum of one bag per person, if traveling on cruises of 3-5 days duration, and no more than two bags per person, for cruises of 6 days or longer. In addition, you must personally carry-on any boarding documentation (passports, Visas, I.D), valuables, medications and items which require special handling.

Edited by Steve551

3 hours ago, linky99 said:

When Carnival says "2 bags per person for a 7 day cruise" do you interpret this as 2 checked bags (carryons not included in this count), or checked and carryons total. We are having trouble limiting ourselves to 1 bag checked and 1 bag carryon per person considering we are bringing beverages, etc. I can do 2 checked per person and 1 carry on each - do you think that will fly?

First off, it's only a suggestion as Steve551 highlighted.  Second, I interpret it as checked in luggage.  It's putting a limit on the luggage that they have to handle.  They don't really care what you handle.

• Like 1

Usual rule applies!

Carry less stuff that you think you'll need.
Carry more money than you think you'll need.

I simply can't imagine how She or I would fill two suitcases...

in addition to a carry-on? LOL!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, linky99 said:

It's not an enforceable rule, merely a suggestion. Keep in mind, there's not a lot of storage space in each cabin for multiple bags, whether checked or carry on or whatever combination. Most people typically store their luggage under the bed. If you haven't already done so, go to Youtube and look for videos that show cabins on your ship. Those will give you some idea of how much room you'll have for storing your luggage. 

• Like 1

First, I think they are saying 2 checked bags per person. Second, cruises aren’t like airports where you bring your bags and turn them in as you check in. As your car/taxi/shuttle pulls up and empties your bags into the curb, the porters run out and stack them on large carts that carry many bags. I have never seen them pay attention to whose bag is whose or how many you have. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Steve551 said:

To help you plan, we suggest you limit your luggage to a maximum of one bag per person, if traveling on cruises of 3-5 days duration, and no more than two bags per person, for cruises of 6 days or longer. In addition, you must personally carry-on any boarding documentation (passports, Visas, I.D), valuables, medications and items which require special handling.

the fact that it says "in addition" indicates to me that you are allowed to carry on a bag as well as check 2. But as was said before, 2 is a suggestion.....like speed limits, red lights, and stop signs 😂 j/k.

Because there is no need for big formal gowns and suits. You are most likely bringing to much stuff if you need more than 2 bags for a 7 day cruise.  Now my FIL who is a massive "luggage enthusiast" will bring 2 checked bags and a carry on and not wear 1/2 of what he brings. I remember one cruise he had 5 brown belts I was like why would you bring 5 belts period but the same color.  Drives me cray cray but give me a drink and let my hubby and kids (teens) lug the bags

• Like 1

Why would you need more than two checked bags on a 7 day cruise? I'm not trying to be judgey, but I don't think you re not going to need as much as you think.  You don't  have to pack your soft drinks. I've seen people strap them to their carry on. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, linky99 said:

Beverages  should be carried on not placed in checked luggage.  One checked bag does us for at least a 10 day trip.  That's  not one a piece  that's one shared plus a carry on each.  The only time we check 2 bags anywhere is if we take the dive gear.

• Like 1

We just cruised a 7 day over spring break and took 3 checked bags for my daughter and I.  We had to use the extra for all the snorkel gear, but we did not wear half of the things we brought and could have easily done one large checked bag each.  We both had a carry on and backpacks.   We had formal wear and dresses for each night, which we ended up not using because we only went to the dining room 3 of the 7 nights.  It's hard to not overpack so if you want to take 2 suitcases each don't worry.  Just tip the porters 🙂  

• Like 1

Thank you all for your replies. One thing, I am most definitely taking more than I/we need. I'm a hoarder packer. Can't help it. Thanks for your concern though! Appreciate the clarity on the amount of luggage "suggested." 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve551 said:

I remember seeing that before our first cruise last October and asked here about it.  As others have pointed out it's  not a hard limit.  It's a suggestion.   I think they put this out there to cut down on people going nuts and bringing several bags.  You probably could bring 2 checked bags each and 1 carry-on each, but as other's mentioned you might find that 2 bags and a carry-on each will be more luggage than you need. And if your flying it's extra money for baggage that you likely wouldn't need.  

We were on a 4 day Bahama cruise on the Victory and we both checked one bag, and our carry-ons.  We realized soon we'd overpacked, which is so easy to do.  We each had a checked bag and one small carry-on.  The night before the cruise we were pulling things out of our luggage for the cruise to just leave in the car.  I've heard people say pack what you think you'll need then remove half of it.  One thing to remember is you'll often be in swim wear and, even though on a 7 day you likely have more than one elegant night you can always pack to wear a variation of the same outfit and nothing says you have to attend both nights.  We're booked for an 8 day and are considering packing what we did for the 4 day cruise for our 8 day cruise.  

• Like 1

My first cruise to Alaska was hampered by the WORLD'S BIGGEST suitcase I took. That was hard because of the drastic temp change but we really did over pack.

think simple - limit your colors and buid your warddrobe around basic colors that you can change accessories for (accessories take less room.)

I find I change clothes a LOT and I often pack less underwear than I need! So I try to take more of those after having to do laundry once. However, doing your laundry or using the wash and fold service can be helpful. I planned for that on our last trip on The Victory.

I'm already planning my outfits for my Nov cruise 🙂

I am trying to limit my packing because I did self assist on last cruise and loved getting off ship early.  I never thought I would say that but it beats sitting around waiting and then standing in lines.

For one of our cruises, our friends from another state missed their flight, but their luggage didn't.

Since we drove down, we ended up going to Huston Hobby to pick up their luggage, while they were flying in later to Bush Intl.

We put all our bag tags on the biggest pieces and planned to carry on the rest...however I think the porter helped us with more tags and took 5/6 full size pieces of luggage, without batting an eye. (like most people we tip per bag, so I'm guessing the porters are like - the more the merrier)

It is not my clothing that is taking up all the space. It's all the random crap I learned on this forum for the room. Towel clips, bring your own cups, bring a over the door shoe hanger, make sure to bring your own meds, bring Poopouri for the bathroom, bring hand soap, ....

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

We manage a 7 night cruise with a medium suitcase & carry on for each of us.  This next trip, we are dressing up both elegant nights, so we may end up with a garment bag as well.  I'm hoping not, though, because I don't like to check my luggage.  I have a great fear that it will end up in the water, get left at the pier or get delivered to someone else's cabin & they won't notice it or won't bother to turn it in to guest services.  

One thing to keep in mind is you can send laundry to be done or use the self serve laundry room on board.  This way, you can pack way less.  Every cruise there is usually some time period where we are just chilling in the cabin - taking a break from the activity & watching a movie.  That's when I typically would throw in a load of clothes.  Just have to be sure to keep track of time so you don't leave your clothes in the washer & dryer past the end of the cycle.  

6 hours ago, linky99 said:

Thank you all for your replies. One thing, I am most definitely taking more than I/we need. I'm a hoarder packer. Can't help it. Thanks for your concern though! Appreciate the clarity on the amount of luggage "suggested." 

Lol....this is me.  I try to cut down on what we take, but it is a struggle.  Since we no longer dress up in the evenings, it has helped quite a bit.  I get the usual "How many different colored flip flops do you own?" and "You really bring your own pillow?  Actually, we have been cruising for 20 years and I have a packing list that I tweak all the time. After all, you can't run out to grab something at Walmart in the middle of the ocean!  Bottom line is that you can check as many bags as you wish.  The "suggestion" is to try to cut down on the amount of luggage they have to handle.  Enjoy your cruise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RoperDK said:

Lol....this is me.  I try to cut down on what we take, but it is a struggle.  Since we no longer dress up in the evenings, it has helped quite a bit.  I get the usual "How many different colored flip flops do you own?" and "You really bring your own pillow?  Actually, we have been cruising for 20 years and I have a packing list that I tweak all the time. After all, you can't run out to grab something at Walmart in the middle of the ocean!  Bottom line is that you can check as many bags as you wish.  The "suggestion" is to try to cut down on the amount of luggage they have to handle.  Enjoy your cruise!

On one cruise we went on we let our daughters pack their own bags........one bag was nothing but shoes.

• Haha 2