Shame on Carnival as thousands stand on the pier

Squadleader

SwordBlazer you make a good point, we all know people do show up earlier than they're supposed to, it happens every single cruise. Carnival has learned to build that non-compliance into its system and usually, their embarkations are fine.

My point is they also need to start using all this great technology to forecast and warn passengers when a normal turnaround isn't possible, like say, the Tom Joyner charter with Janet Jackson and a complete rock and roll experience, with all the extra equipment that entails. 

But in this particular case from what I've read, the boarding didn't even start until 4pm, which means every single passenger and their luggage for the April 14 sailing was on the pier before the boarding even started. 

I can't emphasize enough that if this happened because the ship was delayed by a storm or mechanical failure, whatever, I agree that's not Carnivals fault. My contention is they knew or should have known months in advance based on experience and the extra work, that embarkation was going to be hours late. 

Again, I don't hate Carnival, but I do think they should learn from this situation and make sure it doesn't happen with this charter next year, or other charters before that.

This HAS happened before and Carnival did not learn from that experience. It's not unreasonable for us, their customers, to hold them accountable, so they won't just keep doing this over and over.

It's reasonable and even in Carnival's best interest to not let a boarding disaster like April 14, just keep recurring every year, when it's entirely avoidable. 

Edited by Squadleader
  • Like 1

I think there are some good points made here, on both sides but maybe the very same people making their opinion made, are the very same people who helped contribute to the issue. I was there, it was hot, and crowded, no argument there however, boarding did not start at 4pm. Simple math would indicate that if boarding started at 4 ship cant sail at 6 after boarding 4,000 plus guests in just under 2 hours. All around things could have been better but everyone had a hand in making this a problem. If someone had pictures of 4,000 + guest all standing outside, share it.

The pics show times between 12:30pm and 1:40. I agreed it was hot and super crowded outside but my other point is 

A- hundreds of guests, maybe a thousand showed up prior to their check in time

B- Boarding did not start at 4pm.

If someone can show pictures of the same crowd at 4pm, I will apologize and say I was wrong.

I was on the ship prior to 4pm. 

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

I think there are some good points made here, on both sides but maybe the very same people making their opinion made, are the very same people who helped contribute to the issue. I was there, it was hot, and crowded, no argument there however, boarding did not start at 4pm. Simple math would indicate that if boarding started at 4 ship cant sail at 6 after boarding 4,000 plus guests in just under 2 hours. All around things could have been better but everyone had a hand in making this a problem. If someone had pictures of 4,000 + guest all standing outside, share it.

I assume you are on this ship.  When did you receive an email that there was a delay?  
The reporting must be wrong if you are saying that you were on the ship at 4:00 pm.  It's not like people are making up these things. They are being reported.  So, the reporting must be wrong because it states that boarding started at 4:00 pm.  I don't think this is grounds for a case against Carnival, but since the delay happens year after year it seems like they should reschedule appointment times. That would have saved them $100,000 (or whatever) in vouchers.  Whoever is in charge of these things messed up.

"“We got an email like three, four days ago that said, ‘You need to be here on time. Don’t come early, just be here on time,'” said passenger Diane Felicissimo, “so we came here on time, but…”

"Passengers finally started boarding the ship at 4 p.m., but before that, the humidity and high temperatures had already taken their toll."
"
The frustrated vacationers said lack of communication was the key issue. They said they did not receive much information from the cruise line about the cause of the delay."
"The Magic sailed from PortMiami at 6:30 p.m."

"Miami-Dade Fire Rescue crews responded to tend to some passengers. Officials did not specify the nature of the medical calls."

https://wsvn.com/news/local/multiple-medical-calls-after-delay-in-boarding-carnival-ship-at-portmiami/

Edited by TNcruising02

39 minutes ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

The pics show times between 12:30pm and 1:40. I agreed it was hot and super crowded outside but my other point is 

A- hundreds of guests, maybe a thousand showed up prior to their check in time

B- Boarding did not start at 4pm.

If someone can show pictures of the same crowd at 4pm, I will apologize and say I was wrong.

I was on the ship prior to 4pm. 

Here's a link that shows a video posted of the crowd at 3:30 pm. (Scroll to Cady Lowery)

https://www.cruisehive.com/thousands-of-carnival-cruise-passengers-impacted-by-delayed-embarkation/31273

Edited by TNcruising02

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

I guess it's possible that entire crowd was on board in 30 minutes.  I was just trying to find something close to 4:00 because I was curious too.   

Well I sure was not there...the poster says he was there...lol, the rest are making it upas we go along...I think there is evidence they started boarding around 4, when everybody showed up is still in question.  Obviously, before the bashing began (wait..seems they started at the sometime) there could have been a better embark process and they did the best they could on working with it and compensating the cruisers.

10 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

If you want to choose to ignore the posts on the internet and quotes from people who were actually there, that's fine.  I don't care.  Many people were obviously upset, so it's clear something did happen and a lack of communication was involved.  I don't think Carnival is evil at all.  I have been on many cruises with them and have more planned.  But I am not going to pretend they are perfect and there is no room for improvement when there is clearly a problem.

I wish to apologize for my post in response to yours.  In the silliness, I mistook you for the OP which darkened my reply unfairly.  I am sorry for my poor form which should not have been directed at you.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Should I be insulted to have been mistaken for the OP?  That's ok.  I can hold my own.  haha!  I am ready to let this threat RIP anyway.  It's like Groundhog Day on every page.

I wasn't there and this didn't impact me.  I do appreciate knowing that certain cruises can impact boarding times for the next cruise or the pool and other public areas of the previous cruise.  I doubt Carnival will do anything differently next year.  I never thought people should take Carnival to court.  That's ridiculous.  Simply scheduling appointment times a bit later for certain cruises would solve the problem and cost Carnival zero dollars.

This thread has been entertaining, to say the least. 

I think you should as your posts were reasoned and balanced.  

It reminded me once again to bite my tongue on bitter words before they tumble out unchecked.  

Thank you for understanding.  Exit, stage left.

• Like 1