Shame on Carnival as thousands stand on the pier

Squadleader

5 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

I am now confused.  (Happens easily.)

The original departure was planned for 6pm?  That's 2 hrs later than typical (4pm, right?).  So...was check-in delayed by 2 hrs also?  i..e folks were told to start showing up at 1pm or whatever is 2 hrs later than typical?  Or did Carnival drop the ball, and although the departure was late, they still expected people to board at the regular time?

Or was "6:00" above a typo?

I'm sorry if I confused you (or anyone) I saw a boarding pass on twitter and it said final boarding was scheduled for 3:00 pm. I believe that is typically an hour before sail away. So, you're right sail away would have been 4:00 pm. I read multiple accounts that the ship sailed away at 6:30 pm with embarkation beginning somewhere (again according to twitter) between 4:00 and 4:15. I just looked at "Steven Vaz" on twitters post of his boarding pass arrival appointment 1:00-1:30 final boarding 3:00. He was on the ship at least by 4:41 pm.

1 hour ago, Doggielover68 said:

Just took a look at the temperatures from that day. It was in the 80s. That's practically long pants weather where I am from (mid atlantic).

Mid eighties, partly cloudy and with a breeze of 16 mph - actually very comfortable conditions. 

Also as has been stated several times, people had the option of free transportation to Bayside Plaza; no need to stand for hours on line.

This reminds of a thread on the NCL forum several months ago where boarding was delayed (Venice?) due to late arrival of the ship because of a medical emergency.  The OP of that thread arrived early (supposedly she and her mother were disabled) and refused to take a seat in another area where they could sit comfortably. Instead she insisted on standing close to what she thought was the front of the line and then started a thread about how she and her mother were mistreated because they stood (voluntarily) for several hours. 

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, JaxsMama said:

I cruised on the Breeze in 2015 behind the same charter. Our boarding was delayed hours and hours and hours. I've also read accounts of the same thing happening other years. The cruise before the charter reported the lido being closed down early on their last day at sea to set up the stage.  Carnival knew the next cruise would be delayed.  How could they not?  They should at least schedule the following cruise a late departure time so people know when booking and can decide for themselves. Maybe even make the cruise before the charter a 6 night so they have time to set up.

Back in 2015 (way back 3 years ago...really not trying to imply that...) I do not think they were giving out later and specific check in times (not boarding times),  so I can understand some of the time lag, but not for now.  

17 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

I'm sorry if I confused you (or anyone) I saw a boarding pass on twitter and it said final boarding was scheduled for 3:00 pm. I believe that is typically an hour before sail away. So, you're right sail away would have been 4:00 pm. I read multiple accounts that the ship sailed away at 6:30 pm with embarkation beginning somewhere (again according to twitter) between 4:00 and 4:15. I just looked at "Steven Vaz" on twitters post of his boarding pass arrival appointment 1:00-1:30 final boarding 3:00. He was on the ship at least by 4:41 pm.

So according to what you post, most check in times (except the normal priorities - Weddings, Diamond, Plats and FTTF) prob would not start boarding till after noon (at the earliest) and people who had a check in time of 1 to 1:30 got on at 4:41, not great, but doing the math (square root of Pi divided by the radius time 5 factorial...carry the three) I am really still having problems with the 6 hours to get on....  Last thing is I am starting to think the op does not like me....😟

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Squadleader said:

I watched the video. Several interesting points:

1. Carnival did send out notifications to passengers in the morning about the delay in boarding.

2. Free transportation was provided to Bayside along with vouchers for meals at the plaza.

3. Passengers decided not to take advantage of the transportation and free meals but instead decided to wait in line. Carnival did provide water for those waiting.

4. Contrary to postings on social media, there was no injuries,  medical emergencies, or transport to hospitals due to heat exhaustion among the passengers waiting outside.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Homosassa said:

1. Carnival did send out notifications to passengers in the morning about the delay in boarding.

2. Free transportation was provided to Bayside along with vouchers for meals at the plaza.

3. Passengers decided not to take advantage of the transportation and free meals but instead decided to wait in line. Carnival did provide water for those waiting.

4. Contrary to postings on social media, there was no injuries,  medical emergencies, or transport to hospitals due to heat exhaustion among the passengers waiting outside.

I just watched the video and they do not say what time a notification went out.  I highly doubt it went out before people left their hotel rooms.  But the point the OP made is that, based on previous cruises, Carnival knew or should have known there would be a delay getting the equipment off of the ship and should have had some kind of notification when people booked the cruise.  I agree with the OP.  Since this is not the first time it happened, it's a pattern.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

I just watched the video and they do not say what time a notification went out.  I highly doubt it went out before people left their hotel rooms.  But the point the OP made is that, based on previous cruises, Carnival knew or should have known there would be a delay getting the equipment off of the ship and should have had some kind of notification when people booked the cruise.  I agree with the OP.  Since this is not the first time it happened, it's a pattern.

Whenever I see a supposition based upon highly doubt I get concerned.  Whenever we got the email about a delayed sailing it is the day before.  At time of booking is to silly to respond to.....   check out the other points..... love threads like this, made my day.  

42 minutes ago, cscurlock said:

That's interesting because the first part states "Carnival" as the ship and employees etc. Which those people outside haven't encountered yet.      

You will never win a cruise contract discussion, it is written to protect the cruise line.  

Edited by jimbo5544

1 hour ago, Lottacruises said:

80 degrees standing in the sun for hours is hot. You will get sunburned. Enjoying a 80 degree day with variable shade and not standing on concrete with your luggage not so hot.

See point 2, actually see all of them.  

22 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Whenever I see a supposition based upon highly doubt I get concerned.  Whenever we got the email about a delayed sailing it is the day before.  At time of booking is to silly to respond to.....   check out the other points..... love threads like this, made my day.  

According to the video at the time of the newscast, it was earlier that day.

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

According to the video at the time of the newscast, it was earlier that day.

I gave up believing things I hear on the news long ago, but for the sake of discussion lets say it was earlier in the day.  Earliest check in is around noon, but the company sent out an email, still

offered to send them over to bayside, give them money for food and a 50 obc.  Now lets compare that to the “story” the op posted.  Any questions? 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I gave up believing things I hear on the news long ago, but for the sake of discussion lets say it was earlier in the day.  Earliest check in is around noon, but the company sent out an email, still

offered to send them over to bayside, give them money for food and a 50 obc.  Now lets compare that to the “story” the op posted.  Any questions? 

I think his point was that Carnival knew there would be long delays because in prior years there were long delays.  If that is the case, then it seems like Carnival should have anticipated it and scheduled appointment times to start three hours later for each group.  Since it wasn't a one time thing, it was a pattern.

As far as notification of the four hour delay, maybe someone who is on that cruise can chime in and say if they were notified at 8:00 am or noon, or whatever.  I have no idea.  I just know that if I was notified before I checked out of my hotel that I would possibly have to wait in the sun for four hours, then I would stay at the hotel and ask for a late departure.  Based on the long lines, it appears that the notification may not have come out until a bit later.  I don't know.  i am curious to find out.

Either way, I am glad for the OP because now I know not to book a cruise following the one that caused the delays since it's been happening since at least 2015.

4 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

How many is hours and hours and hours...an hour, 2 3, 5, 10?  Can you point me to another review, did you do one?  Can you point me to other accounts?  Carnival does (and has to us) sent emails on reasons not to arrive early, that is why I am having a tough time and get no replies from the Op.

Which most ignore anyways.  POM has staggered entry so there should have have only a few hundred there at 11am with others still arriving at 2 pm.  

4 hours ago, NightOne said:

Every single time I have shown up at a cruise terminal I see people there who have a boarding time listed on their boarding pass and they are there several hours before that time.

People don't listen. I would bet heavily that there were people with 1:30pm arrival times showing up at 10:30am. 😉

Leaving Miami in March at 7:30 am, people were arriving.

3 hours ago, Homosassa said:

This is the only thing I could find regarding medical:

"Miami-Dade Fire Rescue crews had also reportedly responded to treat at least a few passengers, according to WSVN. The nature of their illnesses was not disclosed."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/carnival-cruise-line-apologizes-after-delayed-boarding-leaves-passengers-cranky-requesting-medical-attention-from-waiting-in-the-heat/ar-BBVZJEU

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Buy the ticket

Maybe not. If you only buy the ticket, and show up at the port as an "incomplete" they give you a paper copy of the contract when they complete your information at heck in. You can be paid in full but not finished checking in and therefore not have even seen the contract.

Im pretty sure its one of the last things done online when completing your online check in.

53 minutes ago, Lottacruises said:

Maybe not. If you only buy the ticket, and show up at the port as an "incomplete" they give you a paper copy of the contract when they complete your information at heck in. You can be paid in full but not finished checking in and therefore not have even seen the contract.

Im pretty sure its one of the last things done online when completing your online check in.

It is if you do it online.  Again a minor point but either way (purchase online, agent or PVP) by giving payment it designates acceptance of the cruise contract.

• Like 3

Carnival should have notified passengers, the day prior or early that morning that embarkation would be delayed. That would have been the right thing to do. I do not believe, they would have or should have altered the price of the cruise basically because you pay per night for the cruise and passengers still got a 7 night cruise. They just left 2  1/2 hours late. I have left later for various reasons and didn't get $50 obc. I also would not have waited in line for 3-4 hours but that's me. Customer service wise, Carnival was wrong for not informing passengers but they did try and make good on it with the OBC, legally they did nothing wrong. 

This incident got a lot of media coverage here in Florida.  Not something I would want to experience.  My wife and I would have jumped on the bus to go to the mall and wait it out in air conditioned comfort.  I've never been "lucky" enough to get stuck on a charter cruise and I'll continue to research before booking to make sure I'm not.

We recently took a Magic cruise out of Miami and frankly, I was a bit paranoid about cruising out of Miami (never have) but it turned out to be the fastest check-in process.  Spent 20 minutes in line outside and once through security we were onboard the ship in minutes.  Carnival isn't going to do away with these charters but they could manage them better.  I understand it took a long time for them to get water out to the masses and even the busses to the mall appeared to be an afterthought.

• Like 2