Shame on Carnival as thousands stand on the pier

Squadleader

8 hours ago, emm126 said:

Customer service wise,

Carnival was wrong for not informing passengers

but they did try and make good on it with the OBC,

- legally they did nothing wrong. 

That last bit? Yesterday I came across an interesting saying...

It was LAWFUL but AWFUL

• Like 2

OK, so the ship departed at 6:30pm?  Is that what I have read here?

If the ship was normally supposed to depart at 4pm, then that is a 2.5 hr delay.

Delayed start of boarding may be unfortunate, but even on a "normal" sailing there is a risk that your "12noon" check-in window means you don't get on board until 2pm.

Normal check-out time from a hotel is 11am.  The very earliest check-in time is what, 11:30am typically? And most pax would have check-in times after noon, some up to 2:30pm.  I would imagine Carnival sent out notifications at around 11am about delayed boarding.  It would be really nice to have some factual information about the actual timeline of events.  Most folks should have had ample warning of the delay.

But if everyone rushes the pier at 9am in the hopes of beating the check-in line and as a result had to wait until mid-afternoon, well, you get what you deserve sometimes.

Yeah, sounds like people are looking to make a bigger issue out of this than it was.

I agree that if this is a typical pattern for the charter then Carnival should probably "do something" to warn the previous and following cruise passengers, but I'm not sure what would ever placate the majority while not being completely redonkulous.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, emm126 said:

Carnival should have notified passengers, the day prior or early that morning that embarkation would be delayed. That would have been the right thing to do. I do not believe, they would have or should have altered the price of the cruise basically because you pay per night for the cruise and passengers still got a 7 night cruise. They just left 2  1/2 hours late. I have left later for various reasons and didn't get $50 obc. I also would not have waited in line for 3-4 hours but that's me. Customer service wise, Carnival was wrong for not informing passengers but they did try and make good on it with the OBC, legally they did nothing wrong. 

Go read post #105 in this thread.

2 hours ago, Keys2Heaven said:

Go read post #105 in this thread.

Sorry but I don't see where they told passengers  that morning not to come early or what time to come. I stand by my opinion. 

18 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Which most ignore anyways.  POM has staggered entry so there should have have only a few hundred there at 11am with others still arriving at 2 pm.  

You guys notice the frequency the op comes back to drop another bomb then leaves and responds to posts?  

• Like 1

Sorry Jimbo, I think we've covered this pretty good by now. I know you're looking for some action but I think most of the fun is over now. At this point, the only way this moves forward is if someone on the April 14th sailing makes an issue out of it because they're the ones who experienced it. 

Carnival screwed over the passengers on the April 14th sailing, either intentionally or through sheer "we don't care" enough to warn people about something they knew was going to happen months in advance. 

You don't think Carnival had a duty to warn people or disclose it, I do, that about sums it up.

It was an interesting topic and gave us all something to think about. Maybe the April 14th passengers will take a crack at holding Carnival accountable, I hope so, we'd all benefit if they did.

• Like 1

The OP is really nothing more than someone stirring up utter nonsense you uses words and sentences plucked from a dictionary and newspaper. There WAS a letter distributed advising about a delayed embarkation. Now  if you really want to place blame for the amount of people standing outside, ask your fellow guests who show up, hmm lets say 2 hours prior to their check in time. So perhaps Carnival could have had a bit more compassion with respect to the heat etc in reality it is your fellow guests who simply do not follow the policies and go into business for themselves.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

Sorry Jimbo, I think we've covered this pretty good by now. I know you're looking for some action but I think most of the fun is over now. At this point, the only way this moves forward is if someone on the April 14th sailing makes an issue out of it because they're the ones who experienced it. 

Carnival screwed over the passengers on the April 14th sailing, either intentionally or through sheer "we don't care" enough to warn people about something they knew was going to happen months in advance. 

You don't think Carnival had a duty to warn people or disclose it, I do, that about sums it up.

It was an interesting topic and gave us all something to think about. Maybe the April 14th passengers will take a crack at holding Carnival accountable, I hope so, we'd all benefit if they did.

Ok......

34 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

No class action suit even possible. Read the cruise contract.

There's a name for posts like this, but they always end up having my hand slapped when called out.

You've ignored facts, which you can do. But posting your opinions contrary to the facts presented, makes your opinions even less relevant.

The only thing that this thread made me think about is that some people just love to complain and do nothing.

Edited by Keys2Heaven

12 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

There's a name for posts like this, but they always end up having my hand slapped when called out.

You've ignored facts, which you can do. But posting your opinions contrary to the facts presented, makes your opinions even less relevant.

The only thing that this thread made me think about is that some people just love to complain and do nothing.

One last stir attempt before disappearing

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Keys2Heaven said:

dup post

Edited by jimbo5544

1 hour ago, JennyB1977 said:

FYI...3/28/2020-4/5/2020 --  I have posted this information in the cruise immediately before (due to posts saying the last evening the lido has been roped off for "set up") and in the roll call immediately after. 

Capture.PNG

So tempted to book to take a shot at the $50 OBC windfall bonus.

Edited by sfaaa

On 4/18/2019 at 11:30 AM, Squadleader said:

What makes this case different is Carnival knew this was going to happen the moment Tom Joyner chartered the ship. 

Carnival used the get out of jail card that covers unforseen circumstances, to knowingly sell the April 14 cruise as normal, when they were fully aware it was not going to be normal. 

That's all I'm talking about, they knowingly defrauded all the passengers who booked the April 14th sailing, then tried to put that that fraud in the category of unforseen events.

Ok so full disclosure, I haven't read this entire thread yet, but when I got to this post, I wanted to ask the OP if they had read the personal account of the person here who WAS ON the cruise? I specifically read her comments that said 

1.  The gangway was inoperative for an hour
  2.  There were issues with the luggage.

While you could argue that Carnival was at fault for both of these things, I don't understand how a company like Carnival could have 'known this was going to happen the moment Tom Joyner chartered the ship'.

I've heard your speculation, but I haven't read anywhere except the first-hand account from a person on the cruise that precipitated the issue and nowhere have I heard that the delays in embarkation were in whole or in part caused by all of the extra equipment necessitated by the charter. Typically equipment, like luggage, food and other items, are loaded and unloaded at the bottom of the ship, not the level that passengers embark and disembark! So if there were delays to people boarding, it should have had nothing to do with the equipment.

So I'm going to respectfully question your statement that Carnival 'knowingly defrauded all the passengers who booked the April 14th cruise'. Getting people on and off the ship was delayed due to unforeseen circumstances and while I can understand why Carnival should be held accountable for that, I don't agree that it was done with 'malice aforethought' (sorry, not sure 100% what that means it just sounded good in this circumstance!).

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

I have never embarked thru Miami with Carnival, but I just wondered, is there not enough space inside to allow arriving passengers to wait in the cool? 

Miami does staggered check ins and have employed an enhanced process where the checkin process is smooth and you get your room keys outs your cabin door.If people follow the rules, it works like a charm and you are in and out.  

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Miami does staggered check ins and have employed an enhanced process where the checkin process is smooth and you get your room keys outs your cabin door.If people follow the rules, it works like a charm and you are in and out.  

Yes, I think they all do that now, but given the heat outside, why didn't they just open the doors and let a few hundred people sit inside?   

Shaded Lady, if you have time to read through the post (you're right, very long) you'll see there's a history of cruises after the Tom Joyner Charter being hours late with starting their embarking process. I can't speak to the exact reason for this, but from what I've read, most people attribute it to the stages, electronics, lights, and sound equipment from all the musical acts Tom Joyner has, which of course Carnival helped plan getting all that equipment on and off the ship. 

sfaaa makes an excellent point, and what I've been saying all along. 

All Carnival has to do is have a booking note on the April 5, 2020 sailing that embarkation will be delayed until 4pm and that all bookings will receive a $50 OBC.

That's a win-win for everyone. Thousands don't stand on the pier for hours, Carnival is honest with their customers, and the cruise sells out. 

Why some folks on here think it's perfectly fine for all those people to stand on the pier for hours when Carnival knows this happens with this particular charter, is something I don't understand.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

Shaded Lady, if you have time to read through the post (you're right, very long) you'll see there's a history of cruises after the Tom Joyner Charter being hours late with starting their embarking process. I can't speak to the exact reason for this, but from what I've read, most people attribute it to the stages, electronics, lights, and sound equipment from all the musical acts Tom Joyner has, which of course Carnival helped plan getting all that equipment on and off the ship. 

All Carnival has to do is have a booking note on the April 5, 2020 sailing that embarkation will be delayed until 4pm and that all bookings will receive a $50 OBC.

That's a win-win for everyone. Thousands don't stand on the pier for hours, Carnival is honest with their customers, and the cruise sells out. 

Why some folks on here think it's perfectly fine for all those people to stand on the pier for hours when Carnival knows this happens with this particular charter, is something I don't understand.

Exactly. Not knowing much about this situation I Googled and found complaints from multiple years about delays after this charter.  

10 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

Making your point directly to Carnival about what you feel, as an unaffected passenger (past and present), they should be doing is the best way to get a response you so desperately need.

Have you done this? Thinking you'll get a response from them here to your diatribe is foolish.  All you are getting is a preponderance of confused and contrary opinions to your own with little chance your continued regurgitations will alter anything.

Edited by StolidCruiser
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

Squadleader thank you for your reply. I have now read the entire thread, and yes, while some report that there appears to be a pattern of delayed embarkation after these charters, I also recall someone else said that Carnival has likely been trying to 'learn from their mistakes' and improve the process so the delays are minimized. It seems that with the other problems that were unforeseen, they missed the mark.

If it was a simple matter of a booking note, Carnival could have saved the cost of $50 pp OBC, pallets of water for those waiting in line, the cost of shuttles and food vouchers for those who took advantage of them... while perhaps not monumental by their standards, these costs were not insignificant. So that reinforces my thought that all of this was quite inadvertent, and not blatant or intentional on Carnival's part. Are they blameworthy? Perhaps. Conspiracy theories aside, I don't see their actions as deliberate, when there was an easy workaround.

As for those poor folks standing in line for however long it may have been, I will say that was their choice, especially when Carnival offered alternatives. Been there, done that... chose to stand for long times for different reasons in different circumstances- if I had a choice and I chose to stand there, it's on me, not on anyone else.

Bottom line, to everyone who posted here, this has been good, healthy debate, and assuredly, no one is wrong, we each just have our own opinion!

31 minutes ago, emdia43 said:

Yes, I think they all do that now, but given the heat outside, why didn't they just open the doors and let a few hundred people sit inside?   

More like in the thousands that would lead to a crowd control/fire regulation issue inside. Magic is a not a small ship.