Shame on Carnival as thousands stand on the pier

Squadleader

3 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

Carnival knew there was going to be an hours-long embarkation delay and didn't disclose it. That's fraud, a crime.

We heard you. No need to keep repeating the same line over and over again.

• Like 1

The White Star Line didn't know the Titanic was going to sink (although they were negligent of course) that is labeled an unforeseen accident. But had they known the ship was going to sink, and allowed 1,500 people to buy tickets and drown, that would be murder, a crime. 

Carnival knew there was going to be an hours-long embarkation delay and didn't disclose it. That's fraud, a crime.

You assume much.
It was an inconvenience, not fraud, and not a crime. Passengers were duly compensated.

• Like 2

TNcruising02

That's the whole point, Carnival couldn't disclose the delay because if they did, it proves they knew in advance. Then the delay is not unforeseen, which is the excuse clause in the cruise contract they are trying to hide behind.

The April 14th cruise was a scratch and dent cruise that Carnival wanted to sell at full price. That's what happened here. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

The White Star Line didn't know the Titanic was going to sink (although they were negligent of course) that is labeled an unforeseen accident. But had they known the ship was going to sink, and allowed 1,500 people to buy tickets and drown, that would be murder, a crime. 

Can you point to where they knew this was going to happen?

7 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

LOL, now it is equal to the Titanic...

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Squadleader said:

TNcruising02

That's the whole point, Carnival couldn't disclose the delay because if they did, it proves they knew in advance. Then the delay is not unforeseen, which is the excuse clause in the cruise contract they are trying to hide behind.

The April 14th cruise was a scratch and dent cruise that Carnival wanted to sell at full price. That's what happened here. 

Wow. 🙄

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

TNcruising02

Scratch and dent cruise....good one.  One more question, none answered so far, were you on the cruise?

• Like 1

...The April 14th cruise was a scratch and dent cruise that Carnival wanted to sell at full price. That's what happened here. 

All the other stuff aside...You truly believe that if Carnival had changed boarding from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm and Sail Away to 6:30 instead of 5:00 that:

1) Carnival would have charged a different price?

2) People wouldn't have picked this cruise?

I wander how many guests took advantage of the "Great Vacation Guarantee"?

• Like 1

Just now, JennyB1977 said:

All the other stuff aside...You truly believe that if Carnival had changed boarding from 12:00 pm to 4:00 pm and Sail Away to 6:30 instead of 5:00 that:

1) Carnival would have charged a different price?

2) People wouldn't have picked this cruise?

I wander how many guests took advantage of the "Great Vacation Guarantee"?

I’m still lost on the”six hours on the pier line”.....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, xDisconnections said:

For the previous charter, it didn’t gain as much publicity and people weren’t passing out while being rushed to hospitals because of several various factors including heat exhaustion.

Jason, any reference to a review or post where they were in line outside for 6 hours?

You're right Jenny, I agree with you, Carnival should have just made a booking note and that would have been cool.

What's not cool is letting you and your family come expecting to board at 11am. It was fact Carnival didn't disclose the fact it was going to several hours late that was the problem. Put the booking note in there and let the chips fall where they may. Carnival chose to conceal an important fact from the passengers they knew about.

Jenny if you and your family had been on that pier for six hours in the sun, knowing that Carnival knew this was going to happen months in advance, how would you feel?

15 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

TNcruising02

But the very least they could have done is text and email passengers at 10:00 am when it was obvious.  That is the least they could have done.  To let people arrive and spend hours and hours waiting for a delay they knew was going to happen is pretty bad, especially for the elderly and people with small children.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

You're right Jenny, I agree with you, Carnival should have just made a booking note and that would have been cool.

What's not cool is letting you and your family come expecting to board at 11am. It was fact Carnival didn't disclose the fact it was going to several hours late that was the problem. Put the booking note in there and let the chips fall where they may. Carnival chose to conceal an important fact from the passengers they knew about.

Jenny if you and your family had been on that pier for six hours in the sun, knowing that Carnival knew this was going to happen months in advance, how would you feel?

The only thing really clear in this thread is how bad YOU feel but, apparently, not bad enough to really do something about it.

Why squander this opportunity by rambling on in a thread?

I cruised on the Breeze in 2015 behind the same charter. Our boarding was delayed hours and hours and hours. I've also read accounts of the same thing happening other years. The cruise before the charter reported the lido being closed down early on their last day at sea to set up the stage.  Carnival knew the next cruise would be delayed.  How could they not?  They should at least schedule the following cruise a late departure time so people know when booking and can decide for themselves. Maybe even make the cruise before the charter a 6 night so they have time to set up.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

NightOne, the next time you spend your hard earned money for what you think is a normal cruise, are you Ok with standing on the pier for six hours?

I've got news for you about contracts, lots of clauses in contracts aren't enforceable. My lawyer always told me the law is whatever that judge says it is that day. 

The entire crux of what happened here is that Carnival knew, or should have known this embarkation was going to be hours late. It was not unforeseen, just the opposite.

I don't agree with handholding either, but I do not think it's fair to sell thousands of unsuspecting passengers a cruise Carnival knows is going to have a six-hour wait on the pier as its beginning. 

If Carnival told you that you would avoid the cruise or expect to buy it at a discount because you and everyone else knows, that's not at all a normal embarkation. 

Carnival purposely withheld that information from their customers and my guess is it would be easy to prove. No judge in the world would condone Carnival purposely withholding information as important as that from a customer. Clauses that are an affront to the law, in that one party is using a contract to commit in this case fraud, can be struck down. The law cannot be used as a shield to commit an unlawful act. 

Carnival withheld important information from it's customers that Carnival knew of at the time of booking. Carnival benefited financially from that withholding. The customers did not get what they bargained for, a normal cruise. They were defrauded.

After all this wrangling, why doesn't Carnival do what's right and disclose this kind of thing to customers? That's the right thing to do. 

Anyone of us who booked that cruise would not have expected to be treated as those passengers were treated. 

I make it through 8+ hours every day at work so I would do 6 hours on a "pier' (was not a pier) in a heartbeat.

EVERY single thing you say that Carnival "knew/withheld/purposely did/yada yada yada" is 100% pure speculation on your part. You know ZERO about what they did or did not know at the time. You have no knowledge of the specifics of what went on behind the scenes.

Carnival gave around $200,000 in OBC that didn't have to so I think that was pretty decent of them.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, JaxsMama said:

I cruised on the Breeze in 2015 behind the same charter. Our boarding was delayed hours and hours and hours. I've also read accounts of the same thing happening other years. The cruise before the charter reported the lido being closed down early on their last day at sea to set up the stage.  Carnival knew the next cruise would be delayed.  How could they not?  They should at least schedule the following cruise a late departure time so people know when booking and can decide for themselves. Maybe even make the cruise before the charter a 6 night so they have time to set up.

How many is hours and hours and hours...an hour, 2 3, 5, 10?  Can you point me to another review, did you do one?  Can you point me to other accounts?  Carnival does (and has to us) sent emails on reasons not to arrive early, that is why I am having a tough time and get no replies from the Op.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

Since you asked....First some facts. I am a seasoned traveler. I am ALWAYS prepared for "stuff". If I had arrived at the pier at 11am (probably not because I don't usually plan to arrive until 12-1 because I HATE the mad rush and crowds) and the line wasn't moving I would have found a place in the shade to sit and read. I don't give a fig about my place in line. The last one on the ship is GUEST WHAT...ON THE SHIP. When they made the announcement (looking back through twitter it appears about 2pm)regarding going to the mall (which also included a meal credit), I may or may not have gone. Depends on how hungry, bored, etc. I was. If I had children with me, I would have had snacks, drinks, books, and games. Kids need to learn stuff happens and they need to learn the coping skills. My carry on always has a change of clothes (so I can change and hang at the pool if my room isn't ready)visor and sunscreen. There also was the option to get an uber/taxi/etc. and go somewhere else. At best be back by three as mandated on the boarding passes. At worst, come back at three and wait again.

This is simply what I would have done, since you asked.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Squadleader said:

Every single time I have shown up at a cruise terminal I see people there who have a boarding time listed on their boarding pass and they are there several hours before that time.

People don't listen. I would bet heavily that there were people with 1:30pm arrival times showing up at 10:30am. 😉

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Since you asked....First some facts. I am a seasoned traveler. I am ALWAYS prepared for "stuff". If I had arrived at the pier at 11am (probably not because I don't usually plan to arrive until 12-1 because I HATE the mad rush and crowds) and the line wasn't moving I would have found a place in the shade to sit and read. I don't give a fig about my place in line. The last one on the ship is GUEST WHAT...ON THE SHIP. When they made the announcement (looking back through twitter it appears about 2pm)regarding going to the mall (which also included a meal credit), I may or may not have gone. Depends on how hungry, bored, etc. I was. If I had children with me, I would have had snacks, drinks, books, and games. Kids need to learn stuff happens and they need to learn the coping skills. My carry on always has a change of clothes (so I can change and hang at the pool if my room isn't ready)visor and sunscreen. There also was the option to get an uber/taxi/etc. and go somewhere else. At best be back by three as mandated on the boarding passes. At worst, come back at three and wait again.

This is simply what I would have done, since you asked.

That is because you do something called planning ahead and preparing for things that could happen instead of blaming everyone else LOL🙂

👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

@Squadleader The original departure was 6:00. They departed at 6:30 and arrived at their first port as scheduled. How was anyone defrauded? They didn't lose a day. At MOST some people lost four hours sitting on a non-moving cruise ship. Guests were already compensated ($50) for that lost few hours.

I am now confused.  (Happens easily.)

The original departure was planned for 6pm?  That's 2 hrs later than typical (4pm, right?).  So...was check-in delayed by 2 hrs also?  i..e folks were told to start showing up at 1pm or whatever is 2 hrs later than typical?  Or did Carnival drop the ball, and although the departure was late, they still expected people to board at the regular time?

Or was "6:00" above a typo?

12 minutes ago, NightOne said:

Again, you don't KNOW this for a fact and have no way to prove it.

Exactly. While it may have been delayed in previous years, that doesn't mean they expect it to. I couldn't tell you how many times I have been stuck at work after the end of my scheduled shift due to things beyond my control. I'm sure that the crew is expected to finish on time for embarkation to be on schedule and I doubt any cruiseline would modify the schedule to give them more time. 

Day one of any cruise is always a crap shoot. It's the busiest day for the crew, it's a hectic travel day for the passengers. Everyone is in a bad mood for one reason or another and that's just how it always will be. You missed lunch, you got $50 to compensate you for it. Call it a day and move on with your life. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, jimbo5544 said:

How many is hours and hours and hours...an hour, 2 3, 5, 10?  Can you point me to another review, did you do one?  Can you point me to other accounts?  Carnival does (and has to us) sent emails on reasons not to arrive early, that is why I am having a tough time and get no replies from the Op.

We waited about 4 to 5 hours. I felt lucky as we were in the terminal with a seat and restroom because we had fttf and were inside before it filled up.  People outside had it way worse. I read other accounts on CC about it happening in Galveston, but I have no idea where. I did not do a review.  

Carnival really does need to reevaluate the way they handle these type of charters. I was on the sailing before THFV and they closed our water slides, pool, surrounding decks, and multiple elevators at 6:30 pm on our last sea day in order to build the stage for the next day.  We recieved no warning or explanation.  They just kicked everyone out, shut everything down, and put out signs saying, "sometimes fun takes a little more time to prepare".

• Like 1