Anything in Downtown Miami or Brickell will do. Popular ones: 

Intercontinental 

W Miami 

JW Marriott Marquis 

Hampton Inn Brickell 

East Miami. 

Four Seasons 

JW Marriott 

The list goes on. Close to the port, in a great area to walk around and grab meals too.

2 hours ago, Pattyhoo said:

We love the Intercontinental Miami! Right on the bay with great views of the cruise ships. There are quite a few nice restaurants within walking distance. (And near a CVS drugstore too)

Agree. We always stay at the Intercontinental in a bay view room .... not city view.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2019 at 12:57 PM, phillyguy31 said:

Stayed at the Holiday Inn POM Bay view, great view good price. Walking distance to restaurants

I have to second Holiday Inn POM. We had a bay view room & loved it. Plus right across the street is Bayside Marketplace, with plenty of shops and restaurants. 

Are there any recommendations for a resort type hotel?  We were thinking about spending a couple of days either before or after our cruise on the beach.  We are willing to think out of the box if some one has a unique place they like to stay.

8 hours ago, Lazz said:

Are there any recommendations for a resort type hotel?  We were thinking about spending a couple of days either before or after our cruise on the beach.  We are willing to think out of the box if some one has a unique place they like to stay.

Look at Miami Beach or there's a Margaritaville resort in Hollywood, just north of Miami

Dates and budget and who is travel will help the suggestions to be closer to your target. Flying into MIA or FLL?

I cannot think of many Miami or Miami Beach hotels that do not have a pool.  The pool at the Doubletree near the port is fabulous!  I would not suggest any hotel near the MIA airport unless you are arriving late and just want a room.

Blue Lagoon area is out near the airport - you will not be close to any local dining or nightlife unless you spend $15+ each way for an Uber.  If  you want to see and experience some of Miami you are better off choosing a downtown hotel, IMHO.

February is peak tourist, so prices will be high.  Book something ASAP and then keep shopping!

Miami has a viable elevated rail and people mover system, which offers some help in getting around.

The MetroMover elevated rail runs from the airport to downtown, and on to Brickell. It does not serve the Port. The people mover is a pair of overlapping autonomous vehicle lines which offer access to the east side of the Metro. The lines pass many downtown hotels.

the Metro-rail from the airport to downtown runs frequently, and originates at the rental car center. It should NOT be confused with Tri-Rail. Tri-Rail operates from the same location North to Fort Lauderdale airport station and West Palm Beach.

I've stayed at the Intercontinental and really enjoyed it.  Our room wasn't ready when we arrived, so they stored our luggage while we walked around the area.  They called us when our room was ready.
It's in a great location. Our room was huge. We did not use the pool.  It is within walking distance of stores and restaurants.  I would definitely stay there again.

5 hours ago, Cienfuegos said:

Miami has a viable elevated rail and people mover system, which offers some help in getting around.

The MetroMover elevated rail runs from the airport to downtown, and on to Brickell. It does not serve the Port. The people mover is a pair of overlapping autonomous vehicle lines which offer access to the east side of the Metro. The lines pass many downtown hotels.

the Metro-rail from the airport to downtown runs frequently, and originates at the rental car center. It should NOT be confused with Tri-Rail. Tri-Rail operates from the same location North to Fort Lauderdale airport station and West Palm Beach.

The Metromover (people mover) is a great way to get around but it should be noted that it doesn't go to the airport. 

https://www8.miamidade.gov/global/transportation/metromover.page

I wouldn't stay in the Blue Lagoon area as JohninDC said unless you are simply coming in late at night.

The Intercontinental, East Hotel, Hyatt Centric, SLS, Four Seasons, W, Mandarin Oriental, The Conrad, JW Marriott and Marriott Marquis are all amazing hotels in the Brickell area. All of them have great pools  and are 4 stars and above.  All close to the port and within walking distance to great restaurants and shopping.

The Hampton Inn Brickell is a great hotel but there pool is very small and only has a few seats around it. 

28 minutes ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

The Metromover (people mover) is a great way to get around but it should be noted that it doesn't go to the airport. 

https://www8.miamidade.gov/global/transportation/metromover.page

Thank you for that correction.  In my effort to keep the description as simple as possible, I missed that point. The MetroRail runs from the airport to downtown, and on to Kendall and other southern suburbs

On 4/15/2019 at 9:15 AM, Flymia said:

Anything in Downtown Miami or Brickell will do. Popular ones: 

Intercontinental 

W Miami 

JW Marriott Marquis 

Hampton Inn Brickell 

East Miami. 

Four Seasons 

JW Marriott 

The list goes on. Close to the port, in a great area to walk around and grab meals too.

This list is pretty perfect.

This is my list of hotels for Miami.

In the end it comes down to your budget.

We spend about one week in Miami each year before a cruise.

Not knowing your price point that you want to spend on a room I will give you several selections; some of which have been mentioned.

They are all within about one mile of each other.

Close to the Port:

Intercontinental

Marriott Marquis (about six years old)

Epic Hotel (priciest of the ones I am mentioning). Avoid a room on a lower floor as you may hear quite a bit of noise from a nearby bridge.

Holiday Inn (some like it but I would recommend the other two)

Hyatt (I like the location better of the first three even though it is close by)

These hotels are about five minutes from the port.  Near restaurants and CVS Pharmacy which is good to pick up last minute items and near a Whole Foods.  

Just a couple of minutes further from the port

Mandarin Oriental (priciest of the ones mentioned).  Private man made beach.

About 10 minutes from the port or maybe 15 depending on traffic but relatively close so no worries.

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

East Miami (relative new hotel so doesn't get mentioned much and is near the new Brickell Centre.  More on Brickell in a moment.)

And then just another few minutes away 

Four Seasons (like Mandarin a bit pricier then most I've listed) but in a very quiet location.

Hampton Inn (a lot of value here.  It is not a full service hotel but it is a nice Hampton and includes breakfast)

The last group of hotels I have mentioned starting with Mandarin Oriental and ending with Hampton Inn are near lots of restaurants.

There is Mary Brickell Village and right near there are lots of restaurants (for Italian I like Perricone's) and also near two CVS Pharmacies (JW Marriott right next to a 24 hour one) and near Publix (there are two in the area) where you can pick up lots of last minute items.

Then there is the new Brickell Centre which opened in 2016.  Lots of stores and restaurants.

I have stayed at some of these hotels and have been inside each and everyone.

Again, they represent a wide range of price points.

Keith

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Keith1010 said:

This is my list of hotels for Miami.

In the end it comes down to your budget.

We spend about one week in Miami each year before a cruise.

Not knowing your price point that you want to spend on a room I will give you several selections; some of which have been mentioned.

They are all within about one mile of each other.

Close to the Port:

Intercontinental

Marriott Marquis (about six years old)

Epic Hotel (priciest of the ones I am mentioning). Avoid a room on a lower floor as you may hear quite a bit of noise from a nearby bridge.

Holiday Inn (some like it but I would recommend the other two)

Hyatt (I like the location better of the first three even though it is close by)

These hotels are about five minutes from the port.  Near restaurants and CVS Pharmacy which is good to pick up last minute items and near a Whole Foods.  

Just a couple of minutes further from the port

Mandarin Oriental (priciest of the ones mentioned).  Private man made beach.

About 10 minutes from the port or maybe 15 depending on traffic but relatively close so no worries.

JW Marriott

Conrad Hilton

East Miami (relative new hotel so doesn't get mentioned much and is near the new Brickell Centre.  More on Brickell in a moment.)

And then just another few minutes away 

Four Seasons (like Mandarin a bit pricier then most I've listed) but in a very quiet location.

Hampton Inn (a lot of value here.  It is not a full service hotel but it is a nice Hampton and includes breakfast)

The last group of hotels I have mentioned starting with Mandarin Oriental and ending with Hampton Inn are near lots of restaurants.

There is Mary Brickell Village and right near there are lots of restaurants (for Italian I like Perricone's) and also near two CVS Pharmacies (JW Marriott right next to a 24 hour one) and near Publix (there are two in the area) where you can pick up lots of last minute items.

Then there is the new Brickell Centre which opened in 2016.  Lots of stores and restaurants.

I have stayed at some of these hotels and have been inside each and everyone.

Again, they represent a wide range of price points.

Keith

Keith, Perricones is no longer standing!! 😞   All us local were so sad the last few weeks.  So sad to watch it be torn down the last few weeks.

For now, Perricones is renting a space over by American Social and doing delivery or take out. Steve bought a new building and they will be opening again up on Coral Way on the other side of I-95.  Food will be the same but the atmosphere will be very different and some of the long time employees, have left.

A Citizen M Hotel will be built on that property so that will be another hotel for cruisers in the future. 

You should add the Hyatt Centric to your hotel list.  It's a great hotel and perfectly located.  In the Panorama Tower next to the JW Marriott.

The SLS Hotel is another one here.

Edited by Host CJSKIDS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

Keith, Perricones is no longer standing!! 😞   All us local were so sad the last few weeks.  So sad to watch it be torn down the last few weeks.

For now, Perricones is renting a space over by American Social and doing delivery or take out. Steve bought a new building and they will be opening again up on Coral Way on the other side of I-95.  Food will be the same but the atmosphere will be very different and some of the long time employees, have left.

A Citizen M Hotel will be built on that property so that will be another hotel for cruisers in the future. 

You should add the Hyatt Centric to your hotel list.  It's a great hotel and perfectly located.  In the Panorama Tower next to the JW Marriott.

The SLS Hotel is another one here.

Oh, very sad.  We will be back in Miami early next year and it will be strange not to dine at Perricones.  I will update the list  with the  additional hotel suggestions.

Keith