Fly in Day of Cruise in Rome

Mrswynn1920

It’s smart to fly in at least one day before the cruise. Possible flight problems, rerouting, strikes (air controller or flight attendants), weather and more - and also possible delayed luggage.

Rome is an extremely nice city - take the opportunity to spend three days in Rome.

Is it smart to fly in the day of your cruise? Absolutely not. 

First, all the potential flight and baggage issues.

Secondly,  getting on the ship jet lagged is not going to make the first couple days of your cruise the best they can be.

Lastly,  you are bypassing one of the most magnificent cities in the world. Even a few hours the day before your cruise, and the morning of your cruise looking around will probably hook you.

I very definitely wouldn't. Last time we flew into Rome, our flight was 2 hours late. The time before that, we were late *and* they lost our luggage and it took over 24 hours for them to find it and get it back to us.

And, as noted by others, you want to give yourself some time to recover from jetlag and enjoy one of the world's most incredible cities. If you can't get to Rome sooner than the day of the cruise, consider dropping the cruise and just spending the vacation in Rome instead!

Absolutely not. 

Besides all the possible delays, cancellations, etc, your body will greatly thank you if you have some time to acclimate to the time change before you get on the ship.

We sailed from Civitavecchia back in November. We flew in 2 nights prior to to the cruise (not including the overnight flight). We were zombies on our first day in Rome. Wife was grouchy and we were making every effort possible not to fall asleep too early. Day 2 was MUCH better. We enjoyed breakfast, toured the Vatican, the Trevi Fountain and the Colosseum, and had a relaxing dinner near the hotel. By Day 3 we were fully acclimated and ready to go on our cruise! We boarded the ship rested, refreshed, and ready to enjoy our vacation! 

I would never fly in the day of the cruise.  We usually go to Rome 4 or 5 days prior to our cruise to enjoy everything Rome has to offer.

However, that said, my neighbours flew to Rome and arrived the day of the cruise and they had no problems.   We thought they were crazy, but it worked for them.

While I have flown in day of cruise when sailing domestically, I would never do so when crossing the pond.  To many potential places for problems.  Also you are leaving from Rome and you can always justify another 2 or 3 days there.  Even if you have been before I am sure you have not seen it all.  If this is your first time to Rome then extra days are all the better.