Potential Edge Modifications Revealed By Cruise Critic Editor

vtcruising

Two people (staff) at le Grande Bistro said that there are no plans to discontinue  lunches. There will be a brunch once per 7-day cruise, so on this TA we'll have two brunches. Lunch was $20 pp, included the entire menu (except beverages) and was very filling.

Edited by Silkroad

12 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

Two people (staff) at le Grande Bistro said that there are no plans to discontinue  lunches. There will be a brunch once per 7-day cruise, so on this TA we'll have two brunches. Lunch was $20 pp, included the entire menu (except beverages) and was very filling.

That's great news... food looks exquisite and  I am sure quite tasty.

Happy Anniversary,....Enjoy the Celebration!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

So happy to hear that. It sounded like they were discontinuing the lunch because of lack of diners. It was packed when we were on. Is lunch going to be every day except the brunch day? Are they doing breakfast every day that there isn't a brunch?

I also had the Coq Au Vin and thought it was delicious!  You really have to plan accordingly, when you eat lunch there - we had dinner late and ordered lighter items.

We loved Paris when we went a few years ago and the Bistro does a pretty good job of making you feel you are there, though we liked the ocean view seats. 🙂  The croissants aren't quite as buttery and flaky as the real deal, but pretty darn close!

Happy Anniversary!! 👩‍❤️‍👨

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

So happy to hear that. It sounded like they were discontinuing the lunch because of lack of diners. It was packed when we were on. Is lunch going to be every day except the brunch day? Are they doing breakfast every day that there isn't a brunch?

I also had the Coq Au Vin and thought it was delicious!  You really have to plan accordingly, when you eat lunch there - we had dinner late and ordered lighter items.

We loved Paris when we went a few years ago and the Bistro does a pretty good job of making you feel you are there, though we liked the ocean view seats. 🙂  The croissants aren't quite as buttery and flaky as the real deal, but pretty darn close!

Happy Anniversary!! 👩‍❤️‍👨

We arrived early because we wanted a window table, and people seemed to arrive in a steady stream. It wasn't packed,  but it certainly wasn't empty. We thought it an excellent value for a break from the much larger OVC.

There will be lunch or brunch every day. As I mentioned,  we'll have two brunches on this 15-day cruise. One staff member confirmed that breakfast is no longer served,  but I'll double check. There are pastries available for purchase, but I'm not sure if they're takeaway only.

Haha one thing that disturbed the ambiance was the quite LOUD daily trivia being held in the Grand Plaza. Good grief! Ulysses S. Grant, wherever he may be, heard that trivia announcement loud and clear! Ahh well, in Paris it would have been taxi horns and buzzing mopeds lol.

Thanks for the anniversary wishes:-)

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

Just finished lunch at Le Grande Bistro. OMG I ate too much. I had the daily special (Coq au Vin) and DH had the trout. Attaching photos of our mains, both of which were very good. We spent part of our honeymoon "á Paris" and we're celebrating our anniversary on this cruise:-)

No better way to celebrate an anniversary than in Paris or “Paris by the Sea”.  Happy anniversary, the coq au vin looks divine!🥂

Edited by Oville
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

We arrived early because we wanted a window table, and people seemed to arrive in a steady stream. It wasn't packed,  but it certainly wasn't empty. We thought it an excellent value for a break from the much larger OVC.

There will be lunch or brunch every day. As I mentioned,  we'll have two brunches on this 15-day cruise. One staff member confirmed that breakfast is no longer served,  but I'll double check. There are pastries available for purchase, but I'm not sure if they're takeaway only.

Haha one thing that disturbed the ambiance was the quite LOUD daily trivia being held in the Grand Plaza. Good grief! Ulysses S. Grant, wherever he may be, heard that trivia announcement loud and clear! Ahh well, in Paris it would have been taxi horns and buzzing mopeds lol.

Thanks for the anniversary wishes:-)

So funny about the GP trivia. We had the trivia during one of our lunches in LGB, but it was Michael Reddon (guitarist/singer) doing live music trivia so very enjoyable!! He would play/sing a clip from a song and people would have to guess - we played along during lunch. Maybe they should do that always during lunch time. A very cool experience!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2019 at 8:36 PM, hcat said:

Katie..

Enjoy your Kentucky Derby Party....so much fun!

On 5/3/2019 at 8:44 PM, vtcruising said:

I hope to see pictures of the hats! 🙂

You asked and so here they are.  I am beyond tired but such a nice night.  Hatcat, the really awful hot, muggy weather arrived here Friday, hence the hats found another place.😉

9B7EB1EA-FDE1-4C2A-B58C-006BBA9059CC.jpeg

ED44B45F-8A30-4934-9C2A-80BF33A4BE8A.jpeg

Edited by Oville
  • Like 5

Love the hats!

Hope you had a great party.

Trying to think of a way to do something like that for a party on board!  Need not be the derby... 

Race  itself was wierd.  Not a fan of Instant re play for fotball, baseball and races...but those are the rules these days!  

10 hours ago, Oville said:

You asked and so here they are.  I am beyond tired but such a nice night.  Hatcat, the really awful hot, muggy weather arrived here Friday, hence the hats found another place.😉

9B7EB1EA-FDE1-4C2A-B58C-006BBA9059CC.jpeg

ED44B45F-8A30-4934-9C2A-80BF33A4BE8A.jpeg

Very classy ladies!

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

Marilyn,  we toasted you with these. OMG Johannes (I think that's the correct spelling of his name) is the master of Golden Margaritas! Soooo gooood.

Cheers! Michelle

20190505_160625.jpg

Those look perfect!! I can almost taste them.  Hope Johannes is still there in January - he will be my very best friend. 😉

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 9:56 AM, hcat said:

Love the hats!

Hope you had a great party.

Trying to think of a way to do something like that for a party on board!  Need not be the derby... 

Race  itself was wierd.  Not a fan of Instant re play for fotball, baseball and races...but those are the rules these days!  

All had a good time.

Yes it was, my dinner got quite delayed.

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 7:51 AM, vtcruising said:

You guys look great! Nice hats! I think you should bring yours onboard for Chic night....😉

Thanks, you shamed me into coming up with a hat.  Thankfully I had some blue and yellow silk flowers in our guest room that nicely wrapped around a beach hat.  Now if the other ladies had clued me in on the dress code color of the night...

On 5/5/2019 at 6:51 AM, vtcruising said:

You guys look great! Nice hats! I think you should bring yours onboard for Chic night....😉

Can you imagine the dress code thread that would start🤣

• Haha 1

On 5/4/2019 at 10:45 AM, Silkroad said:

Okay, I just checked the dailies from my Jan cruise and we only had breakfast in LGB on the 2 sea days and no brunches offered, so not a big difference.  I imagine the brunch is probably has crepes and other breakfast items. This was our breakfast in there. My DH loved the croissant egg sandwich - the best ever - and my crepe was lovely. The bloody Mary's were nice as well!

image.png.ebfe9ff2bf452dc57e7f0058a3e59bc6.png

2 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Okay, I just checked the dailies from my Jan cruise and we only had breakfast in LGB on the 2 sea days and no brunches offered, so not a big difference.  I imagine the brunch is probably has crepes and other breakfast items. This was our breakfast in there. My DH loved the croissant egg sandwich - the best ever - and my crepe was lovely. The bloody Mary's were nice as well!

image.png.ebfe9ff2bf452dc57e7f0058a3e59bc6.png

I’m so annoyed that we never made it to breakfast but probably we ate in Blu on sea days.  Still trying to fit in/justify another Edge cruise before Apex but that is tough to do. Once we are back in New England it’s hard to get us out, leaving in 12 days, still chilly there but so looking forward to being back home.  Katie

Edited by Oville
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oville said:

I’m so annoyed that we never made it to breakfast but probably we ate in Blu on sea days.  Still trying to fit in/justify another Edge cruise before Apex but that is tough to do. Once we are back in New England it’s hard to get us out, leaving in 12 days, still chilly there but so looking forward to being back home.  Katie

It was 77 today!  It's time to start planting the garden. 🙂

It's funny, but that breakfast picture brought back fond memories of our last full day on the Edge. MisterBill was there too and ate next to us. It was a fun breakfast - good times... darn, I don't know if I can wait 251 more days!

12 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

It was 77 today!  It's time to start planting the garden. 🙂

It's funny, but that breakfast picture brought back fond memories of our last full day on the Edge. MisterBill was there too and ate next to us. It was a fun breakfast - good times... darn, I don't know if I can wait 251 more days!

I think at our house on the Cape today it was high 50s, we are very close to a “Weatherbug” station.  You so benefit this time of year being inland but of course if the wind shifts you’ve got the chilly lake.  All that said, our attraction to the Edge is there.  J said a couple of days ago our January 2020 Viking Ocean Cultural Cuba Cruise might be a bit to sedate for us after Edge😀😉

Edited by Oville
  • Haha 1