Help! Hotels full in FtL on February 1

msteries

I just booked a cruise on the Koningsdam that departs FT Lauderdale on Feb. 2, 2020.  Turns out that the Superbowl is in Miami area that weekend.  My old favorite, the Hilton Marina FtL is already full on the 1st.  Any suggestions?

We booked a cruise leaving on February 1 a few weeks ago (Princess ... don't tell anyone 😉) and were still able to get into the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Boulevard.  Have stayed there a few times and it is really a nice location.

• Like 1

Be prepared for sticker shock. I just checked the Choice Hotels site for what they might have available. Several of their brands have rooms currently, however the Roadway Inn that I paid about $125 for is $529 or so

Prices are always higher when there is a superbowl in Florida.

The couple of times we needed to find a hotel over super bowl, we were able to use Hilton points and got what we wanted -- Embassy Suites.  No rise in the points during that time.

OP -- sounds like you may have to spend some dollars on taxis and book further up the coast.

11 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

We booked a cruise leaving on February 1 a few weeks ago (Princess ... don't tell anyone 😉) and were still able to get into the Riverside Hotel on Las Olas Boulevard.  Have stayed there a few times and it is really a nice location.

I love the Riverside, but could not get thru on the website.  One room in the Hilton Beach at $560!!

11 minutes ago, msteries said:

I love the Riverside, but could not get thru on the website.  One room in the Hilton Beach at $560!!

The Riverside is still showing rooms available on "Booking.com"   Good luck!

You could try areas a bit out of FLL -.If you have not booked airfare yet, look into flying into West Palm Beach airport. There are a number of hotels in the area including several Hilton brand properties.It would be a bit of a drive to the pier,but hotel rates there may be a bit more reasonable. 

1 hour ago, Tampa Girl said:

Stay further up the coast and rent a car or Uber in the day of sailing.

My thoughts too. The significant savings in hotel costs would more than offset the cost of a car rental or Uber.

It will be expensive but you could use HAL’s precruise options or use their Flight ease so you are assured of HAL getting you to the ship on time.  I have one coming up in the heart of holiday season. I will use flight ease 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

It will be expensive but you could use HAL’s precruise options or use their Flight ease so you are assured of HAL getting you to the ship on time.  I have one coming up in the heart of holiday season. I will use flight ease 

No, they will do their best get you there. They can't guarantee. No one can.

• Like 1

Just now, CruiserBruce said:

No, they will do their best get you there. They can't guarantee. No one can.

Yes but they will get you to the ship if possible. Fly by yourself and are late, you are on your own.  I use it only when I fly same dat

1 minute ago, Mary229 said:

Yes but they will get you to the ship if possible. Fly by yourself and are late, you are on your own.  I use it only when I fly same dat

We used to only fly in same day if it's a West Coast cruise, as we live on the West Coast. Now, we are flying into Seattle on Saturday for a Monday cruise. We control our travel.

Comfort Suite and Cambria Suite at Dania Beach is completely sold out.  The closest thing I saw was south of West Palm Beach.  About a 2 hour drive.  I think there was a hotel in Boca with rooms going for $1000.  Going to be interesting when people wait to the last minute to make reservations.  I'm guessing there will be 6 or 7 ships in port that day.  I would imagine air reservations may become a problem, too at some point.  The other factor is what traffic is going to be like in that area.  Could be closures and detours in place, too.

• Like 1

Have you checked to see what the options are through the cruiseline?  They have 2 hotels in Fort Lauderdale that they use, they’ll also get you to the ship!  They will also fill up.

Edited by oaktreerb

8 hours ago, rothbury said:

Comfort Suite and Cambria Suite at Dania Beach is completely sold out.  The closest thing I saw was south of West Palm Beach.  About a 2 hour drive.  I think there was a hotel in Boca with rooms going for $1000.  Going to be interesting when people wait to the last minute to make reservations.  I'm guessing there will be 6 or 7 ships in port that day.  I would imagine air reservations may become a problem, too at some point.  The other factor is what traffic is going to be like in that area.  Could be closures and detours in place, too.

I don’t have good air connections out of Dayton OH and will start looking for flights in September.  Think I should buy earlier?  Superbowl changes everything.

• Like 1

Book the cruise before and do a B2B.  Have a friend on the Regal TA who found air s expensive to FLL that they booked the cruise the previous week, too.  They are doing the same thing with Sky Princess TA:  airfare so expensive home from FLL that they booked a Carnival cruise at the end.  EM

Southwest is not yet selling flights for February 2020.  They'll release through January 5 on May 23, so I presume February dates will be on sale in late June or early July (they tend to release dates every six weeks or so). 

All of that to say that flying from Columbus or Cincinnati on Southwest might be worth the drive if you're not seeing reasonable rates on the other airlines from Dayton.