1 Drinker 1 Not

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering what does everyone do when you have 1 person in a room that wants the deluxe drink package but the other does not drink at all. We have never purchased the Deluxe drink package before so to my surprise when I went to purchase it for my Dad I found out that both legal age people have to purchase the same package. Yes, I did not know this! LOL! My mom only drinks coke and water. She may take 2 sips of her sail away strawberry daiquiri that she gets on day 1 and wastes the rest of it. However, my dad drinks and wants the package. What are some ideas that people do when it is seems like a waste for one person? Should he get the package anyway or just save up and buy drinks on the ship as he goes?  

We have done this as my wife is not an alcohol drinker.  You have to give an excuse and a supervisor will need to authorized the override.  You will need to buy the unlimited non-alcohol drinks package for your spouse.  I did the math and this worked out cost wise as she drinks specialty coffee and I do enjoy the fresh squeezed OJ in the morning.

2 minutes ago, gatour said:

We have done this as my wife is not an alcohol drinker.  You have to give an excuse and a supervisor will need to authorized the override.  You will need to buy the unlimited non-alcohol drinks package for your spouse.  I did the math and this worked out cost wise as she drinks specialty coffee and I do enjoy the fresh squeezed OJ in the morning.

When you call, do you only get the regular selling price or are they able to give you the discount price on the website?

1 hour ago, gatour said:

I am a non drinker. DW is. I had already booked the refreshment package for myself.I called, explained my situation. Booked the  deluxe drink package for DW. Did not need a supervisor to override. I did not understand your point about you enjoying fresh squeezed OJ.

1 hour ago, molsonschooner said:

I am a non drinker. DW is. I had already booked the refreshment package for myself.I called, explained my situation. Booked the  deluxe drink package for DW. Did not need a supervisor to override. I did not understand your point about you enjoying fresh squeezed OJ.

I am not normally an OJ drinker at home, but on a cruise I like to have OJ with breakfast (actually prefer grapefruit juice, but that has been hard to find at breakfast on cruise ships for years).  While the OJ that is available for free is drinkable it is not the best.  The fresh squeezed OJ is around 3 or 4 dollars a glass, so I just added that cost into my cost equation.

7 hours ago, cb at sea said:

If you wait until your'e ON the ship, they will work with you.  They will require both of you to purchase a package in advance, however.  So, just wait.  Might just be cost-effective to simply buy as you go.

One of our table mates did this last year on Navigator. He obviously had to pay the higher on board price though, and not sure if it is consistent across the fleet that you can do this

On 4/27/2019 at 11:20 PM, JusGetinStarted said:

Hi Everyone,

I was just wondering what does everyone do when you have 1 person in a room that wants the deluxe drink package but the other does not drink at all. We have never purchased the Deluxe drink package before so to my surprise when I went to purchase it for my Dad I found out that both legal age people have to purchase the same package. Yes, I did not know this! LOL! My mom only drinks coke and water. She may take 2 sips of her sail away strawberry daiquiri that she gets on day 1 and wastes the rest of it. However, my dad drinks and wants the package. What are some ideas that people do when it is seems like a waste for one person? Should he get the package anyway or just save up and buy drinks on the ship as he goes?  

Tell your dad he should first look at the cruise itinerary and weigh in the package for what it's worth. If he's going to be gone off the ship on port visits, tell him to add up the hours and worthiness of the package. He might realize it's cheaper to just buy individual drinks.

20 hours ago, gatour said:

What excuse did you make?  Is letting them know you drink a lot and your spouse doesn't enough??

Lisa N.

3 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Make one up, like you will be pregnant.

LMAO.  Well Im' going to drink.  He's not.  So I don't think that will work LOL  But yeah we'll make up something about medicines interacting I guess.

Thanks

Lisa

• Like 1