Define formal attire please

No jackets, ties or gowns are required, even on "formal  night"....they don't care anymore.  Ever since luggage fees started, people stopped bring the fancy clothes.  You can go to the specialties in anything but shorts....(and even that might be allowed at times....I wouldn't chance it, but some do)

4 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

No jackets, ties or gowns are required, even on "formal  night"....they don't care anymore.  Ever since luggage fees started, people stopped bring the fancy clothes.  You can go to the specialties in anything but shorts....(and even that might be allowed at times....I wouldn't chance it, but some do)

On a related note, we had the UDP and had lunch in specialty restaurants.  I didn't realize until looking at my pictures post cruise, that I accidentally wore shorts and a tank top for the lunches!  Ooops!  No one said anything, so I didn’t even think about it...

Edited by vacationlover_mn

Wife and I just came off the Liberty. Can tell you formal attire is a thing of the past.

Formal nights you will see Baseball Caps, Shorts, Jeans and Leggings, and my favorite sighting , a Seahawk Jersey 

I wore slacks and a Sport Coat. Refuse to were a tie on vacation. Wife wore a sun dress.

Saw very few suits or ties. Really think almost anything goes. Fine with me, I enjoy my cruise and others enjoy theirs.

On Harmony and Allure in the last year, most men that I have seen have worn dress shirts with dress pants with or without a tie on the formal nights.  I have also seen men in khakis, golf shirts and sneakers.  

I don't think I saw more than a couple of suits and no tuxedos at all.  Casual is the way of cruising today, at least it seems that way on the main stream cruises.  We don't have dinner in the MDR, so I don't know if shorts are worn there or not.

I' m just basing what I've seen either in the specialty restaurants or walking around the ship.

if u have to ask

there is really little hope . . . . 

long pants and shirt with sleeves are a good beginning

on the other hand Cunard views 'formal' as at MINIMUM a dark suit with tie / a long dress for 

Cunard 'informal' calls for men in a jacket, but ties are optional . . . .

in CHOPS on OASIS I was fine in long pants and a long sleeved shirt ... may have been over dressed as compared to the rest . . . . I DID have closed shoes!!!!!

Edited by Capt_BJ