The HAL Juneau season begins with Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam May 6, 2019

Scrapnana

Welcome to the new Alaska season!  As usual, we can expect HAL ships in Juneau on Monday-Friday except for a couple of Sunday arrivals of Maasdam before she leaves for the far east and then Australia.

Here is a map of the docks in Juneau.  

40008976470_d485287bb2_o.jpg

The best location for our viewing is the AS (Alaska Steamship) dock because that is closest to the PTZtv webcam which is located in the Hangar on the Wharf Restaurant.

In most cases we tend to watch the sail-in rather than the sail-out because of the times when the ships usually leave (except for night owls like me or those of you on the west coast).  Also, keep in mind that the ships often show up on the webcam much earlier than the time they are scheduled in port.

For our first HAL sighting we will have the Signature Sisters - Nieuw Amsterdam and Eurodam.  Both will be in port from 1300-2200.  Nieuw Amsterdam will be at the CT dock and Eurodam at the AS dock.

Also in port is Norwegian Joy at the AJ dock from 1430-2300.

Unfortunately, the visitors are not going to have the nicest of days.  The forecast is for periods of rain (90% chance) with a high of 47F/8C and a low of 43F/6C.  Sunrise is at 4:53 am and sunset at 8:56pm.

The PTZtv webcam can be found at https://www.juneauharborwebcam.com/.  There are also various webcams of the Juneau area here.

Next up:  Oosterdam on Tuesday.

Question for those with PTZ premium.  Are you able to get any of the webcams?  I get a message about joining although it already shows me logged in.  I tried logging out and then logging back in but still no webcams.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If one's ship docks at position E, you could not be more conveniently located in Juneau.  Position D is good as well.

Princess opened the Alaska season in Juneau this year with Ruby Princess, Star Princess, and Island Princess all having made port calls.

43 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

We have been getting a short advertisement before the webcam comes on.  We don’t have premium so the ad seems to be the price we pay for viewing.

Yes.  But, I don't find it to be bothersome.  In fact, some of the ads have been interesting, such as the ANA ads.  If/when I ever fly to Japan, I will give ANA consideration.  These ads provide revenue, I am sure, for the Company that allows us to use the free web cams.  And, I think, when one clicks on one of the ads, the Company receives an additional fee.  

Not sure what I'll do the next few days.  1PM is 11PM my time and 10PM is 8AM tomorrow so I'm a possible in either case.  By Thursday I'll be back on ship's internet.

Roy

1 hour ago, Happily@Sea said:

Kathi, on premium I am getting them just fine. Normal set-up when opening the web site.

I hope to be here.

I don’t know what is wrong with mine.  I need to contact them and see what’s up.

25 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Can't wait to see the Westerdam when it arrives! 

I believe the Noordam gets there before the Westerdam. The Noordam leaves for her first Alaska cruise from Vancouver next Sunday and will be in Juneau Wednesday the 15th. The Westerdam leaves for her first Alaska cruise on the 19th from Vancouver and will be in Juneau on the 22nd.

4 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

"Rain drops keep falling on my lens"

It's E-dam, followed by Nieuw A, both in Frederick Sound, followed by the Joy, still in Chatham Strait

I am curios.  How do you know where the are at the moment?  Is there a hidden camera which gibes you  have access?

Edited by Himself

1 minute ago, Himself said:

I am curios.  How do you know where the are at the moment?  Is there a hidden camera which gibes you  have access?

I'm in direct contact with both bridges........................

Image result for The Honeymooners space helmet

3 minutes ago, Himself said:

All kiddin' aside, go to the AIS panel below the webcam pic and make it smaller until you see the ships (blue arrows) :classic_wink: