Why I Will Never Again Sail With X

mldiluna

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

The OP was asked if she was ok, and all indications are that she said yes and continued on her way.  If that's not what happened, she hasn't been back to clarify.  If that IS what happened, what were the staff supposed to do?  Insist that she potentially miss her excursion and go to medical even though she said she was fine?  Can you imagine the outrage if that happened every single time someone slipped and fell?  If they gave you no option to decide if you were ok and made every single person who tripped on their own feet go to medical whether they wanted to or not? 

When someone slips and falls, this is a MAJOR event, and should be treated like this by a cruise line, especially when it happens on their property and is their fault.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

When someone slips and falls, this is a MAJOR event, and should be treated like this by a cruise line, especially when it happens on their property and is their fault.

Are you saying the crew should have forced her to go the medical center even though she indicated she was fine?

2 minutes ago, rhblake said:

Are you saying the crew should have forced her to go the medical center even though she indicated she was fine?

No. They should have quickly got her information and followed up after the excursion if she believed she could continue. And that's for the company's benefit, not hers. An initial report wouldn't have to be disruptive to the customer, unless they were clearly injured. I'm confident they have procedures for that sort of thing.

3 minutes ago, markeb said:

No. They should have quickly got her information and followed up after the excursion if she believed she could continue. And that's for the company's benefit, not hers. An initial report wouldn't have to be disruptive to the customer, unless they were clearly injured. I'm confident they have procedures for that sort of thing.

Exactly. And most importantly, show more empathy and care. 

They have a duty to log an accident regardless, often injuries only show themselves the following hours or the next day. We don’t have a choice in the matter at work but you still can’t force someone to accept medical attention just be supportive and offer it.

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Agree. Exactly why I asked the OP if she reported it to Celebrity when  returning home. I know I would have, especially when she claims GS acted uninterested in her opinion.  IMO the OP is a fault for not getting the accident fully documented and been seen by the ships doctor while on board immediately and if she didn't do a follow up when returning home then she's just whining here on CC. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

I took the OP's post to mean that the CS rep did take the report, but the OP simply wasn't happy with the rep's response (Is that it?).  If she wanted a different response, she should have spoken up and asked for whatever it was that she wanted.  (medical care?  speak to an officer?  onboard credit?  other?)  If the rep listened to her but didn't actually take a report, that wasn't clear to me.

T

2 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

I took the OP's post to mean that the CS rep did take the report, but the OP simply wasn't happy with the rep's response (Is that it?).  If she wanted a different response, she should have spoken up and asked for whatever it was that she wanted.  (medical care?  speak to an officer?  onboard credit?  other?)  If the rep listened to her but didn't actually take a report, that wasn't clear to me.

The OP was asked if she was ok, and all indications are that she said yes and continued on her way.  If that's not what happened, she hasn't been back to clarify.  If that IS what happened, what were the staff supposed to do?  Insist that she potentially miss her excursion and go to medical even though she said she was fine?  Can you imagine the outrage if that happened every single time someone slipped and fell?  If they gave you no option to decide if you were ok and made every single person who tripped on their own feet go to medical whether they wanted to or not? 

single time someone slipped and fell?  If they gave you no option to decide if you were ok and made every single person who tripped on their own feet go to medical whether they wanted to or not? 

Exactly why I asked the OP if she reported it to Celebrity when  returning home. I know I would have, especially when she claims GS acted uninterested (in her opinion).  IMO the OP is a fault for not getting the accident fully documented and been seen by the ships doctor while on board immediately and if she didn't do a follow up when returning home then she's just whining here on CC. 

1 hour ago, markeb said:

If she was hurt as bad as she has led us to believe why would she have gone on the shore excursion. She should have immediately went to the ships doctor to be examined and also filled out an accident report. That's all on her and not the crew. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 7

I'm sorry for any injury, and hope for a full recovery.

I find it odd that the first half of the original post is about the food, fatty meats, lack of hummus, and stale bread.  If I am making a judgement on whether to sail a cruise line or not, you can be assured that it would be entirely about the lack of care she says that she experienced around her slipping. Hummus versus pureed carrots wouldn't enter the equation.  

But there does seem to be a common thread between the two.  Her lack of voice at the time of each incident.  If I wanted hummus, I would ask. If the bread was stale, I would ask in the moment for a correction. (We just left Summit, and mentioned great bread that we'd had on a prior cruise.  We were served that bread every night thereafter!)

She is injured in a fall, but doesn't complain right away, but takes the time to be annoyed by a crew member's question of "Are you okay?"

She goes on her excursion anyway? 

This entire post reads as a complaint that, despite her unwillingness to address issues in the moment, she expected something more.  Compensation?  A refund of the cruise?  Who knows what she wanted, because she doesn't seem to ask. 

Guest services was disinterested?  Crew members "turned away" from her accident?  No one can help solve problems unless you actually participate in the process.  The waiter doesn't know that the bread is stale until you tell him.  If you get up and walk away from a fall, no one knows you are injured. 

Problems CAN be solved, but oftentimes, that includes speaking up, and persistence.  

I am usually not this cynical, but with all the nitpicking about food first, it  doesn't seem as though she wanted to like this cruise.  I am sure the Celebrity are relieved that she won't be returning.  I am.

Flame away or not.  

Edited by Blazerboy
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

OP  -  I am so sorry to read about your fall. I hope that you are doing well now. Falls like that can have long-lasting effects. 

After reading about your fall, it will remind me to be extremely careful if we have to do tendering. I've had two hip replacements, so a fall could really be horrible. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, davekathy said:

If she was hurt as bad as she has led us to believe why would she have gone on the shore excursion. She should have immediately went to the ships doctor to be examined and also filled out an accident report. That's all on her and not the crew. 

You fall. You're shaken up. There's immediate pain, but you can get up, and you're embarrassed. OK, I dodged that one, it's not so bad.  2-3 hours later, the bruise develops and the minor muscle and ligament tearing gets inflamed. The minor hemorrhage coalesces into a bruise over  half your side. And now the swelling and edema (delayed effects) impede function. And it hurts. That's kind of how soft tissue injuries progress. It's how baseball players go back into the field after being dinged, last half an inning, and end up on the 10-day IL...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, markeb said:

You fall. You're shaken up. There's immediate pain, but you can get up, and you're embarrassed. OK, I dodged that one, it's not so bad.  2-3 hours later, the bruise develops and the minor muscle and ligament tearing gets inflamed. The minor hemorrhage coalesces into a bruise over  half your side. And now the swelling and edema (delayed effects) impede function. And it hurts. That's kind of how soft tissue injuries progress. It's how baseball players go back into the field after being dinged, last half an inning, and end up on the 10-day IL...

Which is why at the school where I teach, we are encouraged to write up ANY slip/fall or accident, even if we don't think there was any damage within 24 hours of the event. If we choose not to fill the paperwork out and later we are treated for residual effects, we have no recourse with worker's comp or anything because there is no proof that anything happened at that time. No matter how embarrassing it is or what it casts you, if there is a CHANCE you were injured (and come on, if you were holding on to BOTH hand rails and fell you KNOW that you likely pulled something) you should take the time to do the paperwork and not expect them to believe you later.

• Thanks 1

As far as the food, I am not going to take responsibility for what is taking place in the kitchen.  With over 2,000 people on board, and similar complaints going as far back as the last departure from Argentina, I can't imagine how this falls on one passenger.

In hind sight, yes I believe getting on the tender was a mistake.  My wife never confirmed that she was "ok", only "I guess so..."  Shipboard medical treatment was never suggested, in my mind I was trying to figure out if we should get medical treatment on land, or continue with the excursion.  We ended up doing both, and aside from the initial sting, the aching began an hour or two in.

There were only two groups of people boarding the tender.  The other family was told to wait above, while they wiped up the moisture with towels.  This family gave us their name and cabin # as witnesses, and were extremely sympathetic.

I called Celebrity yesterday, after talking to several retired Navy and Coast Guard veterans, looking at the Naval ships in Honolulu, and looking up tender steps on other cruise lines.  What do I want?  I would like to see these steps sanded down, primed, and repainted.  There are too many chips and pores, allowing for water to gather.  Definitely need anti skid strips, like everyone else uses.  Guest service said they would forward the step condition to Eclipse.

We can get flamed for poor decision making within 30 seconds, fair enough.  It is too late to go back.  Celebrity has had more than 30 seconds to allow their tender steps to reach this condition, and is something they can proactively fix moving forward.

20190428_190241(1).jpg

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

As far as the food, I am not going to take responsibility for what is taking place in the kitchen.  With over 2,000 people on board, and similar complaints going as far back as the last departure from Argentina, I can't imagine how this falls on one passenger.

How many do you believe it falls on? Were over 2000 complaining?

Just off Eclipse and waiting for my room in Vancouver to be eady. I was also on the cruise that the OP was on. The food was vastly improved on the last cruise. For me the first cruise was wonderful except for some rude people in the Theater. I've noticed more people getting full value from their beverage package and it translates to loud and rude behavior.I viewed the staff as very attentive and they constantly asked for comments, positive or negative.i think that the food was improved b cause of comments made on the OP's cruise. Captain Leo, who is leaving today and HD Dan are more than approachable. We all don't experience the same events and can have completely different reactions. I'd return to Eclipse in a minute!

Edited by Orator
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, markeb said:

Agree. Been there, done that. But based only on what the OP stated in her post what her injuries were I would have immediately went to the ships doctor first before even thinking of going to GS. IMO there's a whole lot more to this story then what the OP is leading us to believe. 😈I still would like to know from the OP if she did a follow up to Celebrity concerning her accident. 

Edited by davekathy
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My DH & I were on HAL last year. A 

man in his early 20's was screaming because he twisted his knee by tripping or falling down on the stairs. We only saw the aftermath. The crew who were around didn't sound very sympathetic. I was surprised. One worker in a bored tone asked "do you want help."  The person did say yes.

I actually am sympathetic to the OP for continuing the excursion even if knowing there was an injury (apparently non-debilitating). Hialakula at sunrise is supposed to be a spectacular sight. On land, if you want to enter the park early enough you have to make reservations some number of months in advance.

We had reservations to drive up when we were in Maui on our last trip to see our kids/grandkids in Dec 2017. We had to cancel, though, when the winds up there were blowing at 45 with gusts up to 60. This old guy wasn't ready for an hour of the hairpin-turn-in-the-dark death-grip.

But even if the excursion was worth taking "no matter what", I would have thought the OP would report it back on board unless, perhaps, the clinic's attention on land was thought sufficient. If only to ensure proper insurance coverage if it worsened.

We go back for 3 weeks in June/July, and I hope we get up there this time. Daytime, though!

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

How many do you believe it falls on? Were over 2000 complaining?

If Celebrity is willing to have a press release, blaming nearly 2 months of food decline on Celebrity Eclipse on all of their passengers, or just me, I'll back them.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

If Celebrity is willing to have a press release, blaming nearly 2 months of food decline on Celebrity Eclipse on all of their passengers, or just me, I'll back them.

For whatever that's worth...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wpgcycler said:

For whatever that's worth...

Quite a bit apparently, as it has already been suggested that we should have fought for changes in the kitchen.  You seem to think it falls on the whole ship of passengers.  Plenty of blame to go around, but we can at least take a sigh of relief that X is in the clear.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Stateroom_Sailor said:

Quite a bit apparently, as it has already been suggested that we should have fought for changes in the kitchen.  You seem to think it falls on the whole ship of passengers.  Plenty of blame to go around evidently.

No one asked you to fight.  Just to politely request something that you enjoyed, rather than suffer in silence with something you didn't like.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Blazerboy said:

No one asked you to fight.  Just to politely request something that you enjoyed, rather than suffer in silence with something you didn't like.

Would you say that the same principle applies for yelp restaurant reviews?