Platinum question

esper10

We turned platinum and we will be cruising the royal princess. We would like to go to the happy hours. What is the discount of the drinks for beer and wine. We don’t drink much a wine now and than was just wondering if the disconnect is worth it. Also do many people go? Is it more of a social thing?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, esper10 said:

We turned platinum and we will be cruising the royal princess. We would like to go to the happy hours. What is the discount of the drinks for beer and wine. We don’t drink much a wine now and than was just wondering if the disconnect is worth it. Also do many people go? Is it more of a social thing?

There is no Happy Hour anymore. But, if you mean the Platinum/Elite gathering, then the only discount on drinks are on a set number of cocktails, think 6, and it's $1-2 discount.

Edited by newport dave
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The P/E/S get together has changed the drinks they used to offer and now offer some "unusual" drinks. The only one I find any good at all is the Mayan Mule - a Moscow Mule made with Tequila. Perhaps you will like one of the others. There are snacky foods to eat. One caveat: When it say "onion rings" it means slices of red onion - not battered and deep fried onion rings.

I know many people here tend to put it down (as it used to be better) but as a new Platinum cruiser I encourage you to attend and make your own decision. There should be a card delivered to your cabin with a listing of what will be offered each night. Also, Enjoy your new free Internet minutes benefit. 🙂

• Like 6

1 hour ago, esper10 said:

No discounts, just a list of about 8-10 pre-approved discounted concoctions.  

We like the deep blue sea martini. Most drinks are not so great.  

• Haha 1

As someone who prefers to dine late (whether fixed or ATD) I find the P/E/S lounge a good place to kick back and relax while half or more of the ship is jockeying their way to early dinner. True the drink specials have gotten progressively less "special" in the years since this perk came about. But the different daily appetizer, along with the garnishes of breads, dried fruits and crudites, does hit the spot to hold one over for that seemingly long interval between Afternoon Tea and Dinner :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

We enjoy going, not every day but often.  We also tend to eat later so it's nice to have a snack.  We don't pay attention to drink specials as the hubby only drinks crown and I'm a wine or vodka gal.  I like the social aspect, it's fun meeting people from around the world

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Thrak said:

The P/E/S get together has changed the drinks they used to offer and now offer some "unusual" drinks. The only one I find any good at all is the Mayan Mule - a Moscow Mule made with Tequila. Perhaps you will like one of the others. There are snacky foods to eat. One caveat: When it say "onion rings" it means slices of red onion - not battered and deep fried onion rings.

I know many people here tend to put it down (as it used to be better) but as a new Platinum cruiser I encourage you to attend and make your own decision. There should be a card delivered to your cabin with a listing of what will be offered each night. Also, Enjoy your new free Internet minutes benefit. 🙂

We enjoy going- esp if the venue is nice like skywalkers

Such an enjoyable view!Try it!

17 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

We are not very social so the $1-2 discount does not attract us.

Internet minutes and disembarkation lounge are more useful for us.

Enjoy!

You don't have to socialize if you don't want to... ☺️

You also don't have to order a drink if you don't want to.

DH and I enjoyed it because it was quieter than some parts of the ship....and we just sat by ourselves.

It is also nice when it is on the ships that have a Skywalkers as it is a nice view if it happens to be while leaving a port.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Reina del Mar said:

We are not very social so the $1-2 discount does not attract us.

Internet minutes and disembarkation lounge are more useful for us.

Enjoy!

2 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

DH and I enjoyed it because it was quieter than some parts of the ship....and we just sat by ourselves.

It is also nice when it is on the ships that have a Skywalkers as it is a nice view if it happens to be while leaving a port.

From my observation on the Regal in January, the others in the lounge did not look all that sociable, and in fact some looked downright miserable.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, dreaminofcruisin said:

We're happy with our peaceful balcony view where we can enjoy a glass of wine.   

Each to their own !

On 5/9/2019 at 2:19 AM, fishywood said:

I find the P/E/S lounge a good place to kick back and relax while half or more of the ship is jockeying their way to early dinner. True the drink specials have gotten progressively less "special" in the years since this perk came about.

from another thread

5BC96262-A84B-4F57-8101-8C8D45BE9CDC.thu

I have never ordered any of the "special" drinks. They just don't appeal to me. So I just order a glass of wine. Sometimes, but not often, I have some of the hors 'd. 

I just like to enjoy the view especially from Skywalkers

• Like 1

I've been to this on the Grand and the Emerald and it's a nice change of pace for a before dinner cocktail.  Where is it held on the Coral? 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Doug R. said:

From my observation on the Regal in January, the others in the lounge did not look all that sociable, and in fact some looked downright miserable.

Unfortunately we experienced the same thing on the Grand last month. How can people be so blah on a cruise to/from Hawaii? Don’t understand. 

3 hours ago, kubies said:

I've been to this on the Grand and the Emerald and it's a nice change of pace for a before dinner cocktail.  Where is it held on the Coral? 

On the Coral it is held in Explorers Lounge.

Edited by Timbles

18 hours ago, caribill said:

from another thread

I no longer like any of the offerings on their special drink menu.  So, when I go, I just order a beer off the regular bar menu....no special pricing but they are about the same cost as what is on the special drinks menu.  Sometimes, there is a fun crowd up there (over there on the Royal), sometimes, not so much.  We do enjoy the little snacks from time to time, too.  I wasn't as fond of the venue on the Royal .... just not as much of a view like the ships that have Skywalkers.  

On 5/9/2019 at 12:48 AM, Thrak said:

I think it is a nice thing.  It's just a place to relax before dinner with some light apps and a few drink specials.  We don't do it every night but most of them.   We tend to run into some of the "new friends" we have met through cruise critic and M & G during the get together.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:44 AM, caribill said:

from another thread

OK I will grant you that with the demise of the BOGO-1 happy hour (cf. this odd thread) and the recent increases in drink prices two-for-$13 is more or less the best "special" onboard--and they can even be two different drinks from this list

But unless you can find the drink menu in the lounge with the more specific description of each cocktail you won't realize how much of a downmarket version of the standard recipe you are getting. (As for Tito's if they find themselves overstocked I believe it would make a fine varnish stripper ☠️)