Really conflicted- would you get a balcony?

zeppgirl

My family of 4 (two adults, 2 preteens) is doing an Eastern Caribbean cruise.  I am about to book but really conflicted on what room type to get.  We will be doing connecting rooms no matter what, but I am debating between ocean view, Central Park balcony, or Central Park interior.  The Central Park balcony faces out to Central Park, which is a calm, quiet area outside but no views of the ocean.  The interior room has a regular sized window facing out to Central park (so you get the natural lighting), but no balcony.  Here's the pricing:

Central Park Interior $5,500

Central Park balcony $7,500

Ocean View $8,500

I'm very tempted to do the interior and to use to money we save for excursions and other activities, but I hesitate because I do love having my own space and reading/having coffee outside- just not sure it's worth a few thousand dollars.  What do you all think?  Please help me decide!

There are so many outdoor public areas, if you're ok with the interior, it will sure be a HUGE savings!  Plus, you still get natural light.  The kids won't give a fig about a balcony...and I'd want a OV balcony, if I'm paying for a balcony....

It really comes down to your preferences!

Personal decision and how you use your stateroom, but we went with the Central Park Interior as the additional cost wasn't worth it.  We wouldn't spend an extra 3K for a window to the ocean when you can just go elsewhere to view the ocean.  The balcony on central Park would be nice , but again, 2K for us, seems like a lot.

Again, I think it's personal preference.  We just came back from our first cruise and we stayed in a family mini suite (2 adults, 2 teens).  We loved having the balcony and the room worked for us.  However; I just booked another cruise and this time we are going with Family Ocean View.  I'm okay with not having a balcony.  If I were booking 2 rooms, I would definitely go with the Central Park Interior and maybe splurge on some excursions or specialty dining.  On a ship with outside spaces, you may find that you aren't spending much time in the room anyway.

• Like 1

I would save the money and spend it on other things.  There are many places on a ship where you can relax, read, or just have a quiet place to lounge.  I have cruised with interiors and with balconies.  I will book a balcony when the prices are low and an interior when the prices are high.  I would not pay that much more for a balcony or ocean view.  It really is a personal decision though. Some people would rather spend the money on their cabin.

I'm not familiar with the RCI ships, but just how 'natural' is the light from Central Park?  Is it open to the sky?  Is is covered by a skylight, or is it artificial 'natural' light?  How much would your pre-teens use their balcony?  Are they old enough to be out on their own while you enjoy your balcony?  Will they be in the kids club while you enjoy the balcony?   EM

Edited by Essiesmom

• 3 weeks later...

We had a room similar to RC Central Park room on Princess ship, it’s like a Central Park ocean view.   The whole seven days cruise we only open our curtains for about two hours to watch the parade since you know there are people facing you on the other side and that makes us very uncomfortable. 

For us (not necessarily for you!) natural light is what matters, the windows across the way wouldn't bother us, and that's a lot of money to spend elsewhere, especially with kids for whom you may be making lifelong memories! 

I don't know anything about the central park rooms as I've not sailed on Royal.  But I can say that for me a balcony, and fresh air in the cabin is essential.  The cruise I booked in an ocean view room (window at the back of the ship, people walking by on the deck / no privacy)  was a disappointment.  I had read good reviews on the cabin but having the bit of light & feeling like people could look in the cabin if I didn't shut the curtains just didn't work for me.    Being able to walk out to a deck just isn't the same.   I almost didn't feel like I was on a cruise, my friend who cruised with me couldn't believe I felt that way but I did.  In the past I only booked inside cabins, but once I got used to the balconies it changed everything.  

But that's a balcony overlooking the ocean.    I don't think I'd go for a balcony upcharge that overlooked a park area inside the ship.

Edited by CanWeGoYet?

• 1 month later...

We normally travel in a balcony room; however, in your case, I'd go with the Central Park interior.  My reasoning?  Central Park Balcony is likely to be loud, because there's an "echo" effect in there, since it's not actually outside.  The kids won't want to be in the room long enough for any of you to really enjoy the ocean view.  IMHO, I think you could spend that money in a lot better ways.  Happy traveling.