Florida/Bahamas from NY cruise questions

meglet

Thanks for any advice you may be able to give

1. I know weather is changeable, but about how long does it take before it's "shorts" weather at sea sailing in the middle of June?

2. Is there anything in walking distance of the port to do in Port Canaveral?  This would be primarily a relaxing cruise and we just want to get off for a while for a change of scenery.  Just 2 older adults sailing.

3. Never sailed from NYC before.  Would be bus-ing it from Boston.  Any tips/tricks about the port?  Would be sailing in a suite, so once we get inside the terminal building, it would probably be familiar enough.  

Thank you!

☺️

26 minutes ago, meglet said:

1. I know weather is changeable, but about how long does it take before it's "shorts" weather at sea sailing in the middle of June?

2. Is there anything in walking distance of the port to do in Port Canaveral?  This would be primarily a relaxing cruise and we just want to get off for a while for a change of scenery.  Just 2 older adults sailing.

3. Never sailed from NYC before.  Would be bus-ing it from Boston.  Any tips/tricks about the port?  Would be sailing in a suite, so once we get inside the terminal building, it would probably be familiar enough.  

Thank you!

Big Pet Peeve of mind, you cannot walk out of Port Canaveral, (However if you sail on Royal you can) so the cheapest way to get out is the $15 round trip shuttle to ron jon surf shop.  If you wanted to pull the olde billy baroo, you could take the hertz rental car shuttle, from there catch the public bus ($1.50) to Sheppard beach park (bathrooms/life guard/changing area) then do the same on the way back.  (not that I would ever do such a thing, 😎).   Also Jetty Park is close very close to the port but once again you cant walk there, it is impossible to get out of the port without paying unless you do the olde billy baroo

image.gif

Edited by Newleno

Now THAT'S an expression I've never heard before.  So I wonder if many people get off the ship.  If there's nothing to do in Port Canaveral, I would be quite happy with a less crowded ship and the possibility of getting in the pool without 500 of my nearest and dearest.

2 minutes ago, meglet said:

Now THAT'S an expression I've never heard before.  So I wonder if many people get off the ship.  If there's nothing to do in Port Canaveral, I would be quite happy with a less crowded ship and the possibility of getting in the pool without 500 of my nearest and dearest.

Done this itinerary many times. Don't count on smaller crowds. Many people stay onboard. It's one of the worst NCL ports. 

12 minutes ago, meglet said:

There is a lot to do is just cost money, i mean a lot to do.

Also when we cruise out of nyc, we bus to penn station then we walk down 34 th street to the river and walk up north to the pier.

also Sometimes it is cool on the ships at sea (especially at sea) regardless of the time of year,  so be prepared

Edited by Newleno

35 minutes ago, meglet said:

Thank you!

1 - I have sailed from NYC in many different months.  Generally in the spring and fall you can expect shorts weather by the afternoon on the second day (first full day of sailing) unless there is a cool wind coming in. You are generally off the coast of North Carolina then.  A cool wind can affect the second day, too, when you are off the coast of northern Florida. I've had great warm weather on the second day after a cold April 1 departure from NYC once.  I agree with prior poster that June should be great barring bad weather.

2. Take the bus to Cocoa beach as described and walk the area if the weather is nice. Many people do stay on the ship. You can return at any time.

3. If your bus is going to the Pier, nothing could be easier.  If going to the Port Authority, just find the taxi stand outside and you are a very short 10 minute ride to the pier drop off.  The Manhattan pier has 3 levels.  There are two large elevators.  No matter where you are dropped off, go to Level 1 (street level), where you drop your tagged luggage.  Then return to level 2 to enter the building for security screen, picture and check in.  Level 3 is the parking level.  When you return, luggage and immigration are on level 1 and they exit you out the doors at street level and out to 12th ave for all pickups and taxis.

3 hours ago, meglet said:

Caddyshack.

We've been down at this port several times too.  Actually, there is a lot to do including KSC and then all the parks in Orlando.  The problem is NCL moved their arrival times years ago from early a.m. to mid-day (yes, with later departure times) but it puts a crimp on what you can do.

When getting on in NYC with a suite, it has varied a bit, but try to enter on the right side, locate someone with a Haven sign/clipboard, prove to them several times you are in a suite, they'll zig you to the left a bit farther back for some more checking, and then they'll zig you farther back to the right for the lounge.

Edited by dexddd

7 hours ago, meglet said:

Thank you!

June will be shorts for the whole cruise. We just did the cruise at the end of March and had shorts on by the first sea day. 

Nothing at all in PC. You need to drop some cash to get out. 

There is dedicated suites check towards the back of the terminal. 

Here’s a live post from our cruise. 

9 hours ago, meglet said:

Thank you!

Its June in NYC, it will probably be hot and humid. Its not like your leaving from Nova Scotia Lol