Boarding Time - Is it Suggested Only?

Ramjet1997

Received an email from our travel agent indicating that our boarding time is 2:30 for Caribbean Princess.  It is the LAST time for boarding.....do they adhere to this or is it a suggested time only?  We have always boarded on other cruise lines by noon.....this is our first cruise on Princess......Thanks in advance....

Edited by Ramjet1997

2 minutes ago, Ramjet1997 said:

Received an email from our travel agent indicating that our boarding time is 2:30 for Caribbean Princess.  It is the LAST time for boarding.....do they adhere to this or is it a suggested time only?  We have always boarded on other cruise lines by noon.....this is our first cruise on Princess......Thanks in advance....

Unless they have recently changed the procedures, just consider the boarding time as "recommended."  We usually ignore those times and head to the terminal early (by 11:00am) so we can board for lunch.  We have never been kept out of the terminal or held up because of the boarding times.

Hank

• Like 2

We boarded the Star last Thursday from San Pedro. Our scheduled boarding time was 1:30, but as we were in a suite, we knew that we would be boarding first. We got to the port around 11:20, checked in and were told that we could board immediately. In fact, there was nobody in the waiting area and anyone who had just checked in could immediately board. 

First time I've seen that happen. Usually we get to San Pedro around 11 to 11:30 and typically wait around 10 to 20 mins as a Platinum member.

• Like 1

The only issue with boarding early is that your cabin may not be ready. But you can still board and go for lunch.

Those of us who are Elites or in Suites can board any time and usually our cabins are done for us.

13 hours ago, Ramjet1997 said:

OP: Also ignore the crew members who will tell you "only the buffet is open for lunch".

One of the MDRs is usually open (infrequently it might be closed for a private function). 

Lunch in the MDR is much more pleasant than fighting the lines in the buffet.

Lunch in the MDR is only available from noon til 1:30.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

OP: Also ignore the crew members who will tell you "only the buffet is open for lunch".

One of the MDRs is usually open (infrequently it might be closed for a private function). 

This is good intel for a first time princess cruiser.  Many of the crew will lie right to your face about the MDR being open for lunch.  It kind of baffles me considering the generally high quality of service and courteous crew on princess.  I can understand not advertising it, or even not calling it out as an option if asked a vague question about what's open for lunch, but they'll straight up lie to a direct question about the MDR as well.  I know that's not always the case but sometimes it is; bit of a head scratcher.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, kate59 said:

Check the Patter in cabin. It is your daily news about opening and closing time on back of it. 

Good idea but with 1 pm becoming the standard for rooms being available it will be too late to have lunch in the MDR.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Doug R. said:

Good idea but with 1 pm becoming the standard for rooms being available it will be too late to have lunch in the MDR.

You can get a copy of the Patter at the Passenger Services Desk, if cabins aren't open. OR just walk to each MDR until you find the one that's open.

3 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

You can get a copy of the Patter at the Passenger Services Desk, if cabins aren't open. OR just walk to each MDR until you find the one that's open.

It's true that it should be on the patter but interesting example yesterday on the CB. In the "Live From" from yesterday's embarkation day the poster pointed out that the usual DR was open, but the day's patter did not show the DR to be open, and of course passenger services said no DR's were open.  This may have been a unique example given the CB was just going back into service after being in Freeport for repairs for the past month...it was not your usual turn-around day so who knows what happened with the patter.  The lesson to take away is your best bet is just to go walk to the MDR's and see if they're open.  Seems neither human nor document resources are 100% reliable on the topic.

8 hours ago, JF - retired RRT said:

I'll reiterate one point here and correct another.  I'll correct that dining times have changed.  Expect the MDR to be open for lunch on embarkation day and sea days from 11:30 - 1:00.  Very rarely will there not be lunch in an MDR on embarkation day.  On most ships the open dining room will be on deck 6 midship.  It will close at 1:00 on the dot which may affect your target arrival time at the pier, others have given you sound advice as to boarding process so I'll not comment on that point.

I'll reiterate the point that you absolutely must not ask any crew member which dining room is open for lunch on embarkation day.  For reasons I'll never understand they have been instructed to pretend they are ignorant and will deny that any MDR is open, you will be directed to the Horizon Court buffet.  Why Princess does this I'll never know but it's been true on every cruise, and on every ship for years.

3 minutes ago, jondfk said:

I'll reiterate one point here and correct another.  I'll correct that dining times have changed.  Expect the MDR to be open for lunch on embarkation day and sea days from 11:30 - 1:00.  Very rarely will there not be lunch in an MDR on embarkation day.  On most ships the open dining room will be on deck 6 midship.  

Not all of the ships. I said noon because I was just on the Pacific Princess on Sunday (BVE) and the MDR did not open until noon.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Not all of the ships. I said noon because I was just on the Pacific Princess on Sunday (BVE) and the MDR did not open until noon.

OP was asking about Caribbean and, at least when we last sailed her, she had converted to the earlier schedule.  Same on Ruby last fall and on Grand both February and April of this year.  But hey, we Princess loyals know consistency is rare.  I would still strongly suggest OP plan to reach the dining room before 1:00 or risk being disappointed. 

Edited by jondfk
typo

17 minutes ago, jondfk said:

I'll reiterate the point that you absolutely must not ask any crew member which dining room is open for lunch on embarkation day.  For reasons I'll never understand they have been instructed to pretend they are ignorant and will deny that any MDR is open, you will be directed to the Horizon Court buffet.  Why Princess does this I'll never know but it's been true on every cruise, and on every ship for years.

My last cruise, Ruby P, Dec 2018, as the crew was telling me that the cabin would not be available until 1:30 p.m. (or was it 1:00??), they also told me in response to a direct question ("which dining rom is open now for lunch?") that the 6th deck, midships MDR was open for lunch.  No misdirection, no lies.    

I have had crew members tell me the MDR is open for lunch on boarding day.  However most cruises they have told me that no MDR is open.  I always ask to see what they will say knowing that the MDR is open for lunch.  

We just sailed on the Coral RT to Alaska. Despite the fact that it is early in the season, and three ships were in port the day we left, it only took an hour and fifteen minutes from the time we parked our car at Canada Place to boarding the ship at 11:45. Our room was ready, so we stashed our valuables and headed down to lunch in the dining room. The salmon I had for lunch was cooked perfectly! After the multiple lineups in the boarding process, it is much more pleasant to be served a nice meal in the DR rather than fight the crowds in the buffet.

• 1 month later...
49 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Are you sure that applies to all grades of cabins and all grades of Captain's Circle membership?

For those who arrive and check in before boarding starts, Elite Captain's Circle/Full Suite/Club Class Mini Suite passengers will be assigned the first boarding groups. Platinum the next. Everyone else the ones after that.

Once boarding has started there will still be separate lines for Elite/Suite and Platinum which may or may not move faster that the "everyone else" line. As soon as you clear the line you can head directly to the gangway.

But everyone, even if on their first Princess cruise, is free to arrive at the pier as early as they want. The suggested check-in times based on cabin decks are utter nonsense. Which is why the earlier responses on both old threads you have bumped say to just show up when you wish--those with Priority will still be sorted out at check-in, but those without are absolutely not relegated to Princess' "schedule".