Our life on the Edge, 28 April 2019 TA, some photos & video

Silkroad

How special that must have been, Marilyn!  This area needs at least three days to see and do it justice.  I have a friend who stayed for a week and said that she still could not do and see everything!  My DH has a friend with a family home in the area and still finds things to do and see with each visit...

Edited by Lastdance

I noticed an interesting discrepancy between the smoking areas listed in the Day 1 daily, and what I actually found on board. In addition to those two areas listed in the daily, there is an area on Deck 5, Port side (just as there is on the other X ships). I was happy to see the Deck 5 smoking area, because I couldn't believe that Celebrity would force their paying customers to trek all the way to deck 15 every time they wanted to smoke. I'm not a smoker myself, but I'm one of those who believe that until such a time that Corporate declares Celebrity ships non-smoking vessels, smokers should have reasonably convenient & pleasant places to smoke. 

I love the mural that flows along the wall on deck 5. 

20190512_122554.jpg

20190512_122600.jpg

20190512_122551.jpg

Day 16 - Southampton

Because we had gone through a mandatory British immigration inspection on May 9th (forgot to mention this earlier, but it was arranged very well, and didn't take much time at all), disembarkation was a breeze.

We disembarked at our assigned time, found our luggage, and joined our friends to await private transport to LHR for our flights home. 

5 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

How special that must have been, Marilyn!  This area needs at least three days to see and do it justice.  I have a friend who stayed for a week and said that she still could not do and see everything!  My DH has a friend with a family home in the area and still finds things to do and see with each visit...

So lucky that they have a family home there - we definitely will go back.

26 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

I noticed an interesting discrepancy between the smoking areas listed in the Day 1 daily, and what I actually found on board. In addition to those two areas listed in the daily, there is an area on Deck 5, Port side (just as there is on the other X ships). I was happy to see the Deck 5 smoking area, because I couldn't believe that Celebrity would force their paying customers to trek all the way to deck 15 every time they wanted to smoke.

Interesting - that area was non-smoking on our cruises, except I had heard that there was smoking there on our first Press and Trade cruise Nov 25-27 and then was banned due to complaints. There were then complaints from CC guests who smoked on subsequent cruises because of the reasons you outlined.

Those murals are very cool - so bright and colorful.

Edited by vtcruising

Over the next day or two, I'll finish my review, including a summary of our final assessment of our cabin, the OVC, the cleanliness of the ship, the hand washing stations & hand cleaner dispensers, the live music, the Concierge & Captain's Club events & benefits, and anything else I haven't yet covered.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

Interesting - that area was non-smoking on our cruises, except I had heard that there was smoking there on our first Press and Trade cruise Nov 25-27 and then was banned due to complaints. There were then complaints from CC guests who smoked on subsequent cruises because of the reasons you outlined.

Those murals are very cool - so bright and colorful.

Approximately half the seating out there was non-smoking (and very popular), and the other half was smoking (also popular, especially that little half hidden area. My photos don't show the non-smoking area. We sat in the non-smoking area for a while, and didn't smell a whiff of smoke (though there were smokers on the other end). The smoking area is aft of the non-smoking area, which helps immensely. 

Though I passed through the smoking area in the sunset bar many times, I never noticed smoke. The only place I noticed smoke was rounding the forward area of the track (near the forward pool bar smoking area). I noticed it for perhaps five seconds on each lap around the track. No big deal at all.

My sister smokes. I wish she didn't, but it's her choice. She's as passionate about art & music as I am, and I would love to cruise with her on Edge. She would adore Mr. Edge, the Haunted Forest, the Enigmas (wooden people), the mural on deck 5, and all the other art on the ship. When I saw the smoking area on deck 5, I thought this was a place we could be together, where she could smoke, but I could still breathe.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 1

Almost forgot to mention that we only once noticed a sewer scent (deck 12, midship) and it was gone within a couple hours. We think it was a problem with a specific cabin, and it was obviously resolved very quickly. 

Edited by Silkroad

19 hours ago, Silkroad said:

OMG don't let them know there's a challenge! Next thing we know, they'll have three  (or four, if we have Hcat in Eden with us) of us wrapped in diaphanous fabric festooned with shiny moons and stars, and gliding about holding orbs aloft as we mutter incantations😂 After a couple Golden Margaritas, that would be very interesting😜 

Not me !  

Been there done that....would require more than Golden Margaritas....

but I'll definitely come to watch the  show  and cheer you on!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lastdance said:

Me either, but I do attend at a more respectable hour in the morning...my thermometer runs faster on sweat.  Furthermore, I am just a one drink girl, as alcohol puts me to sleep!  So, I am boring...

I am  usually the designated driver, block party wet blanket...not much of a drinker.. (type 2 diabetic and related liver issues )

I do splurge a bit while cruising but prefer the  Iglus!  But I will definitely try a Golden Margarita on EDEN!

Dh is a daily cigar smoker...much to my chagrin. 

He was very much okay with the area  just  a few steps up from the pool deck ..There were nice tables and chairs...great views offf the side of the ship and  not bad to sit there with him..

They are always changing and rearranging but hopefully he will still have this spot in Nov..  

We never went  up to The Sunset Bar ) or Rooftop area) other than on a walk through...It was very hot & sunny by day and windy all the time...not conducive to smoking!

32 minutes ago, hcat said:

And we will be sad to see this review end...Who is next up on EDGE?

This has been a great way to share your journey Silkroad - have been with you all the way :-)

Sadly, I can't see it being us up next as we are not on until August ---- getting closer now though and our on-line check is officially OPEN !!!! Can NOT wait to meet Mr Edge in 'person' :-)

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Disembarkation looms...

20190512_235347.jpg

20190512_235336a.jpg

On our Edge  cruise,  we decided not to attempt walking off as we have been doing for the last few years. Too much luggage,  too long a walk  going downward with our rollies....and too many folks now doing it now,  plus suite guests go first!

We found it very  interesting that AQ Class had no waiting space other than BLU for breakfast, yet Concierge Class  was invited to Normandie.  We never received any   inquiry about our post cruise arrangements,  and  all  of AQ Class deck 9 ( other than suites) were given the same very high disembark no.  We immed went to GR and were given a much earlier number with  our meeting place in the theater. We opted for that location over E + meeting  place on Deck 3  at Tuscan. 

Easy getting to the theater and once called we zipped right off the ship.... we will do that in Nov as well if we can,  luggage was easy to find...YAY!

14 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Almost forgot to mention that we only once noticed a sewer scent (deck 12, midship) and it was gone within a couple hours. We think it was a problem with a specific cabin, and it was obviously resolved very quickly. 

We smelled sewer strongly in the hallway near our stateroom (8314) when we embarked.   When we came back after exploring the ship it was gone.   Only smelled it one other day (same area) when we were docked, can’t remember the port.    Didn’t smell anything anywhere else on the ship. 

Joe

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, hcat said:

Dh is a daily cigar smoker...much to my chagrin. 

He was very much okay with the area  just  a few steps up from the pool deck ..There were nice tables and chairs...great views offf the side of the ship and  not bad to sit there with him..

They are always changing and rearranging but hopefully he will still have this spot in Nov..  

We never went  up to The Sunset Bar ) or Rooftop area) other than on a walk through...It was very hot & sunny by day and windy all the time...not conducive to smoking!

I think your DH will find his favorite spot unchanged🙂 During my research on smoking areas, I spoke with two very congenial people there. I also met a couple of nice people in the smoking area at the Sunset Bar.

20190512_114404a.jpg

20190512_114449a.jpg

20190512_115045a.jpg

20190512_115231.jpg

We found the white "charging box" more useful than we had imagined, both because of the USB ports, and because DH had the brilliant idea to leave our most frequently used charging cables stored inside the box when not in use. You can see our (unplugged) Samsung & Fitbit cables in one of the photos. 

20190508_103249.jpg

20190508_103219.jpg

• Like 1

Celebrity had various staff members handing offering single red roses to the ladies on Mother's Day, which we thought was a lovely gesture. Naturally, I used an empty wind bottle as a vase😂 

We did find a use for the large, white Hoppen vase, which has a label stating one shouldn't put water in it🤣 We stored rolled up papers, such as laundry receipts, in it until they could be discarded.

20190513_065542a.jpg