Select Dining Reservations Question

Tigrou

Could anyone please tell me when I will be able to make Select Dining reservations online.  Will it be as soon as I have PIF or does it not become available until a certain number of days pre-cruise?

I've tried searching for this information but without success.  Would be grateful for any help and advice as previously I've only done traditional dining.

Thank you.

Specialty dining reservations are hidden on the pages where you reserve specialty restaurants.  Go to the page as if you want to book a specialty restaurant and scroll  down to select dining.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you.  However, when I look on CP at specialty restaurants there's no mention of select dining, and if I try to book specialty it says not available now, try again on board.

I don't cruise until October 2020 so didn't expect to be able to book yet, just wanted to find out when.

2 hours ago, Tigrou said:

Thank you.  However, when I look on CP at specialty restaurants there's no mention of select dining, and if I try to book specialty it says not available now, try again on board.

I don't cruise until October 2020 so didn't expect to be able to book yet, just wanted to find out when.

t - if available to book now, it will be under 'Specialty Dining' then look on the page (usually towards the top) "Plan All Cruise Dining".

If not there, check back regularly in order to do so. I believe up to nine (9) months in advance and will vary based on sailing.

bon appetite and bon voyage

19 minutes ago, bubbachief said:

Why not just call the Captains Club and have them schedule your reservations. Much easier.

Only easier if one wants to do it when it is convenient for them, rather that be at night or odd hours during the day etc...

Yes, it could be easier to call, yet not always convenient.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Kate117 said:

Do reservations help with wait time for select dining? Would be nice to know the buffet menu before choosing MDR or the buffet.

We have found that they do.   There are usually two lines to enter the select dining section of the MDR -- one for people with reservations, and the other for folks who don''t have them.   But I think the actual experience may well vary with the time you are trying to get in. 

• Thanks 1

In your Cruise Planner, click on "Dining and Beverages", then "Celebrity Select Dining" (see below).  But with that said, this is Celebrity's website we are talking about.  It takes a lot of time to do each day and on my presently anticipated cruise, it has disappeared twice.  So do it, and print it!  "It" ends up in your "calendar" and/or "cart".  That is what I would print and save.  Otherwise, call Celebrity and have them do it and send you a confirmation.

Good Luck!

test.thumb.png.ba15361b7bad7fe3dfcf0753c551ba35.png

Count us as long time Select Dining fans (or its cousins on other cruise lines).  I cannot even recall the last time we had Fixed Dining but it is at least 10 years ago.   We love the flexibility of Select and we often enjoy sharing large tables and meeting lots of new cruisers.  The one thing we seldom to never do is make reservations!  Why?  How do I know at noon what time we want to dine later that evening.  If we make some new friends (or meet old friends) at a bar before dinner we might want to continue our conversation well beyond when we would normally dine.  or...perhaps DW might say, "I don't want a cocktail now...lets just go to dinner."      Does this mean we must wait a long time to be seated?  Generally no, because we tend to dine after 7:45 when there is less demand.  And since we are willing to share larger tables we will often be seated within a couple of minutes while those who have various demands (such as a 2 top or a specific waiter) are waiting off to the side or get a beeper.

One other issue.  As a general rule you cannot make Select reservations from 6:45 - 8:00.

Hank

I made a reservation in Select Dining for every night of our 15 day TA cruise online.   When we boarded, our first stop was the MDR to confirm it with the matre'd who was so rude we walked away.  Back later for dinner, went to another side and the lady found our reservation with out any problem.  It worked great the whole cruise.

3 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Count us as long time Select Dining fans (or its cousins on other cruise lines........

One other issue.  As a general rule you cannot make Select reservations from 6:45 - 8:00.

Hank

Like you we are big fans of Select Dining, but we prefer to book a set time for the whole cruise. Then on the day or day ahead if we need to we change it. Never had a problem yet.

We always book for 7:30 and never had any problems making reservation for this time in the past. Do you know if this Is this a new rule regarding time exclusions you mention?

if so we will need to rethink our plans.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zanderblue said:

Like you we are big fans of Select Dining, but we prefer to book a set time for the whole cruise. Then on the day or day ahead if we need to we change it. Never had a problem yet.

We always book for 7:30 and never had any problems making reservation for this time in the past. Do you know if this Is this a new rule regarding time exclusions you mention?

The only reason to "rethink" your plans is on the day of dining, if you need or want to.

. There is a limit to the number of people they take reservations from. A main feature of Select dining is the ability to arrive 'anytime'. They must have seats available.  On our last cruise our friends were told that all reserved seats were booked so just showed up at the time they wanted and got seated.

7 hours ago, zanderblue said:

Since we have not generally made reservations we really do not know about the policy history.  But, in the past, we have been on cruises where they did restrict reservation times so as to avoid a problem at peak times.  But as the result of reading this thread we went into our own cruise account for an upcoming Summit cruise (this Sunday) to see about making reservations.  We noticed that we can make reservations for any time on any night except for those hours between 6:45 and 8:00.  Whether this is just for the Summit or this particular cruise we cannot say.

Hank

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Since we have not generally made reservations we really do not know about the policy history.  But, in the past, we have been on cruises where they did restrict reservation times so as to avoid a problem at peak times.  But as the result of reading this thread we went into our own cruise account for an upcoming Summit cruise (this Sunday) to see about making reservations.  We noticed that we can make reservations for any time on any night except for those hours between 6:45 and 8:00.  Whether this is just for the Summit or this particular cruise we cannot say.

Hank

likely that all of the prebooking allowance is used. just arrive at the door

4 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

likely that all of the prebooking allowance is used. just arrive at the door

Like we posted, it is not an issue for us since we do not want to be constrained by advance reservations.  We have always just showed-up at the door when we wanted to dine and seldom had to wait more then a few short minutes.  On the "S" Class ships (where we have spent significant time) we have noticed that the folks who seem to have longer waits are those requesting 2-tops or a specific waiter.  It is pretty common to run into some of those folks at the Martini Bar where they drink away their waiting time (as they watch their beeper) :).  I once asked a couple if they were sure if their beeper would work considering the distance from the MDR .  They both laughed and said it no longer mattered (we think they had already had a few martinis).

Hank

We had select dining on Eclipse April 17 - 29 and made reservations through cruise planner for 7:00 each night, except for the first night.  The first night we decided to skip the MDR as usually hectic, went to Sushi on Five instead.  Our experience was there was one line, when I inquired about having reservations we were advised one line, just those with reservations have priority.  We rarely waited more than 5 - 10 minutes and that was mainly because we requested to not be seated in walkways.  We were always at a table for two, or four but not with anyone else. We went to specialty dining two other nights,  so let them know.  We did not have the same servers each night, seemed to be seated in three different sections, next or close to a window, so did have the same servers several times.  The tables are very close together so often enjoyed conversations with those next to us.  This was our second time with select or my time dining and for us it works.  Though we do make reservations, can easily change if desired.  I do think you loose some of the personalization of servers getting to know you and the fun of that, especially if good servers.  Though on our RCL we had asked for a window table and were seated at the same table, same servers most of the time.  Fixed dining found times either too early or too late and being assigned to a table for 6 or 8, with all the other dining options often only one other couple or no others and felt awkward. 

I just recently booked all of our times on our upcoming  Equinox cruise for 6:30.  Maybe it was user error...but I had to go completely through the check-out process each night individually, so 7 different transactions.  I found that to be quite a pain, but I did not notice if 6:45-8:00 were unavailable.   The DW likes to eat early, but not 1st seating early...We figured we would change any times once on board if we needed to do so. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, longtalltraveller said:

I have a 3 dinner package, any way to book those ahead of time as well? 

They usually will book you for the first night in a restaurant of their choosing, though I've been assured you can change it.  The other reservations have to be made on board.  You should do that as soon as you board, to get the times and places you prefer.  You should be able to do that at one time at any of the specialty venues.