Park West Auctions-Peter Max

Plato123

22 minutes ago, wpgcycler said:

Do they peddle this apparent rubbish on Alaskan cruises as well or do they offer somewhat more relevant and authentic works such as Inuit and/or Haida prints, sculpture and carvings?

They peddle the normal rubbish. 

• Haha 1

Auctions at sea, we all love them don’t we. I’m just amazed there are still people going to these things given the amount of coverage given over the last few years. I can understand people wanting something nice on their wall ( The Max art is horrible in my view anyway) but you can go to any decent gallery and purchase safely in your own area. How much of this has nothing to do with the love of art and more about greed and making money on a purchase ?

• Like 1

15 hours ago, hcat said:

I wonder if LLP and R  Fain have read the article..or are otherwise aware.  I do not believe they would want to be part of  these alleged shady practices on their ships

I'm sure they carefully have insulated themselves and their cruise lines from liability. X and Royal are profiting or Park wouldn't be on board all of their ships.

44 minutes ago, wpgcycler said:

Do they peddle this apparent rubbish on Alaskan cruises as well or do they offer somewhat more relevant and authentic works such as Inuit and/or Haida prints, sculpture and carvings?

You'll see similar offerings on all itineraries. The selection on board won't reflect local types of art/sculpture/carvings.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, yorky said:

you can go to any decent gallery and purchase safely in your own area.

Exactly. But this is one reason I ask about offerings which are more local to the area. In my travels, I haven't seen a lot of galleries offering Northern, Arctic or West Coast Aboriginal art outside of Canada or the US Northwest. Would make for some very interesting lectures too.

2 minutes ago, GerScot said:

On our recent Fjords cruise they were always well attended when I passed on my way to the Martini bar. Think it must be the cheap sparkling wine that entices folk

I think the "champagne"😉 may be a draw. I thought it was only people new to cruising who may be impressed with it. But that NY Times article said there are people who actually cruise to collect works of Peter Max. Like lambs to the slaughter. What will Max's work be worth when people are left wondering who really painted it due to the debacle Max's son has created? And to purposely dupe cruise goers? What a disgrace. 

4 minutes ago, bermadu22 said:

I think the "champagne"😉 may be a draw. I thought it was only people new to cruising who may be impressed with it. But that NY Times article said there are people who actually cruise to collect works of Peter Max. Like lambs to the slaughter. What will Max's work be worth when people are left wondering who really painted it due to the debacle Max's son has created? And to purposely dupe cruise goers? What a disgrace. 

That "Champagne" was my clue the whole thing was a scam way back on my first cruise. Decided to check it out (because of the offer of the Champagne), was poured cheap sparkling wine instead of Champagne. If they are scamming people on the beverage, I figured the "art" was probably an even bigger scam. Lingered a a few minutes out of curiosity and left shortly afterwards. Never been back to one since. 

I attended for the free drink + I was curious about what people were actually paying.  I knew in advance that they were not a place for serious collectors but thought there might be something that I'd like for decorative purposes (there was but not at those prices).  There was also the possibility of winning something for free.  It was interesting to watch but you could tell it was preying on unsophisticated buyers.  I understand that cruise line management like the revenue stream but don't understand why they'd want their customers to be taken advantage of like that.

2 hours ago, wpgcycler said:

That would be nice...even if they had a show of local art one afternoon on board...probably against contract with Park West

We have acquired  some very nice inexpensive locally produced small prints, oils and sculptures, etc  in various ports..Sometimes  hard to find them..( alot of stuff in the ports are made in China!).. 

Our vacation home is where we display these items....reminds us of our travels!

• Like 1

I'd never given much thought to any of this as my instincts suggested this was probably not such a great deal. I had NO idea however, how sleazy this business is. The interwebs are littered with horror stories about cruise ship auctions - with Park West featuring prominently. Shocking - as well as disappointing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2016-12-14/ever-bought-artwork-on-a-cruise-prepare-to-be-seasick

22 minutes ago, hcat said:

That would be nice...even if they had a show of local art one afternoon on board...probably against contract with Park West

We have acquired  some very nice inexpensive locally produced small prints, oils and sculptures, etc  in various ports..Sometimes  hard to find them..( alot of stuff in the ports are made in China!).. 

Yes, it's important to either learn enough to know what to look for, buy from a reputable gallery or buy from one of the 2 distributors - only 1 step between you and the artist... e.g.  http://www.northernimages.ca/

Art is valued at whatever someone will pay for it.  If someone values it then its worth more.  Its all simple sales and demand.  Gallerys can be just as bad.  The best way is to get lucky at auctions and or yard sales etc. 

47 minutes ago, wpgcycler said:

Yes, it's important to either learn enough to know what to look for, buy from a reputable gallery or buy from one of the 2 distributors - only 1 step between you and the artist... e.g.  http://www.northernimages.ca/

Very nice items..would love to see some pieces in the EDGE and APEX art collections.

1 hour ago, hcat said:

We have done the same, got some lovely local paintings in San Juan and local sculptures in other ports over the years.