Oceanview Panoramic suite vs. JS vs Aft Balcony

I'm looking at three options on the same ship.  We would be sailing in early 2021 on Independence of the seas. It would be myself and DW and 11 yr old grandaughter

OVP on deck 12 and aft JS on deck 10 are essentially the same price, Aft balcony is a corner on deck 10 and I know that those corner suites are super desirable.

I'm assuming the OVP gets suite benefits.

What would you choose and why?

Edited by Tree_skier

We sail Adventure version in December.  

Deck 10 is under WJ😱

However, if you're sold on that big aft balcony, this cabin wont be a good fit. Personally,  I prefer view forward.

Edited by John&LaLa

If price is essentially the same....OVP.  That's what we're doing on the Adventure.  Nice to have the suite perks.  We are doing b2b2b....JS, OVP, JS....essentially same price for JS and OVP............the OVP opened up and we switched.....we don't mind having to move. ☺️

22 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

I'm looking at three options on the same ship.  We would be sailing in early 2021 on Independence of the seas. It would be myself and DW and 11 yr old grandaughter

OVP on deck 12 and aft JS on deck 10 are essentially the same price, Aft balcony is a corner on deck 10 and I know that those corner suites are super desirable.

I'm assuming the OVP gets suite benefits.

What would you choose and why?

Just to confirm, you are referring to the Ocean View Panoramic SUITE (1854 or 1804) that can hold 6 as opposed to the Spacious Ocean View Panoramic cabin that holds only 4...

I can only comment on the suite because that is the one that we have been in before.  We LOVED the cabin.  We had it prior to it being changed to a suite (much lower price and none of the suite benefits).  I would love the opportunity to sail in that cabin again.  1 1/2 washrooms, sleeps 6, SO MUCH space, incredible view.  I am the type of person who would not sit on a balcony since I am usually active around the ship and love the service eating in the dining rooms, so a balcony for me would not be money well spent (though I do realize many others live for their balconies).

With three in the room, that extra half bath can become really valuable.  Add that to the full suite perks that come with cat. VP and the incredible views that come with those rooms and it seems like a no-brainer.  There is even a reasonable argument for selecting a VP over a 1-bedroom GS, unless the veranda is really important to you.  The VP has a better view than most GS's and 1-bedroom GS's do not have the extra half bath.

8 minutes ago, actuarian said:

With three in the room, that extra half bath can become really valuable.  Add that to the full suite perks that come with cat. VP and the incredible views that come with those rooms and it seems like a no-brainer.  There is even a reasonable argument for selecting a VP over a 1-bedroom GS, unless the veranda is really important to you.  The VP has a better view than most GS's and 1-bedroom GS's do not have the extra half bath.

GS seems to have a much nicer main bathroom. Heck, based on video, the JS has a nicer bathroom 

Edited by John&LaLa

1 minute ago, John&LaLa said:

GS seems to have a much nicer main bathroom 

It does, but the OP are grandparents traveling with a granddaughter.  As a grandfather of two granddaughters myself, I would find that extra toilet in the extra half bath much more important than the nicer bathroom!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, actuarian said:

It does, but the OP are grandparents traveling with a granddaughter.  As a grandfather of two granddaughters myself, I would find that extra toilet in the extra half bath much more important than the nicer bathroom!

Your a grandad, you probably dont take baths. 

I take the OVP without hesitation due to the full suite benefits. And the view is breathtakingly beautiful. I never sit outside in the balcony as the heat is too much as I am from Sunny Singapore.  

Thanks for all the input everyone.  I have booked the OVP.  The full suite benefits and the larger room sold it for me.  The second commode was a significant factor as well. I got, what I thought was, a really good price. We sail on April 15 on Independence of the Seas, Cabin 1854.  DGD will turn 13 while on the cruise so since she is still 12 at the beginning of the cruise she still counts as a child.  I'm hoping that at some point to apply a KSF to the reservation and save a few more dollars. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Tree_skier said:

Thanks for all the input everyone.  I have booked the OVP.  The full suite benefits and the larger room sold it for me.  The second commode was a significant factor as well. I got, what I thought was, a really good price. We sail on April 15 on Independence of the Seas, Cabin 1854.  DGD will turn 13 while on the cruise so since she is still 12 at the beginning of the cruise she still counts as a child.  I'm hoping that at some point to apply a KSF to the reservation and save a few more dollars. 

A couple shots from 1804. Good choice!

CBD68B86-5D73-40E1-83FD-83F8FBED1CE2.jpeg

2AD7F21C-80F9-425B-9978-4C71C89F32A5.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Beachammo said:

We would miss the balcony....

The corner afts on deck 10 are not suites and should be priced as balcony cabins. 

Can't believe they would be priced the same as an OVP?

Lack of balcony brings price way down

16 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Lack of balcony brings price way down

They were priced pretty good last year but then when they "officially" got full suite status and the new releases came out pricing went up to the suite level at least on the Mariner sailings.  

4 nights Sept 2020 for the OVP is $1157 pp  

Edited by molly361

22 minutes ago, molly361 said:

They were priced pretty good last year but then when they "officially" got full suite status and the new releases came out pricing went up to the suite level at least on the Mariner sailings.  

4 nights Sept 2020 for the OVP is $1157 pp  

On cruises I've priced out they are on par with a JS and more than an ocean balcony.

Not having a balcony would be terrible for us two...But in the OP's case the larger cabin with extra half bath makes sense.

#GottaHearTheWake

20 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Our 6 night adventure is $971 pp with tips and $100 OBC.  Booked it in July last year.  I just wanted the big cabin, surprised I could get it for just the two of us.

I was surprised that you (we) could get in for 2 as well 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beachammo said:

We would miss the balcony....

The corner afts on deck 10 are not suites and should be priced as balcony cabins. 

Can't believe they would be priced the same as an OVP?

My bad... I must not have been clear in my OP.  The JS and the OVP were the same price.  The corner aft was $ 300 less.  Part of my decision was based on the fact that I have a corner aft booked on Adventure in Dec this year.  I like to mix things up a little.  Two years ago it was a standard balcony on MSC. Last year it was an aft balcony in Liberty. In April is was an inside cabin on Mariner. and coming up this December it is that aft corner (1688) on Adventure. Next year we have a club class mini suite booked on Princess in April and a Boardwalk Balcony on Allure in Dec. The OVP on Independence continues my tradition on not having any kind of tradition at all. I imagine, at some point I will settle on a 'preferred' cabin but right now I'm all about different experiences.

1 hour ago, John&LaLa said:

Our 6 night adventure is $971 pp with tips and $100 OBC.  Booked it in July last year.  I just wanted the big cabin, surprised I could get it for just the two of us.

Yeah, this cabin didn't show up in my search when I listed just two people.  When we decided to take Emily it appeared in the search.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1