Traveling during a Quince Cruise - Bad idea?

I am heavily considering traveling on the August 3rd Symphony sailing. 

However, looking in the roll call thread, I see this is a Quince Cruise. 

Is this a bad idea? Will areas be blocked off for the group (such as the Solarium or prime seats)? 

5 minutes ago, ryguy2008 said:

I am heavily considering traveling on the August 3rd Symphony sailing. 

However, looking in the roll call thread, I see this is a Quince Cruise. 

Is this a bad idea? Will areas be blocked off for the group (such as the Solarium or prime seats)? 

Well, I just went to your Roll Call and read the posts.

I would not book that cruise.

• Like 1

They didn’t bother me but I know our vacation could have being better without them. Half were traveling from Colombia and the other have were Colombians living here. I know Spanish and I knew what they were saying but the majority of passengers were lost. My luggage was lost at the end of the cruise but  2 days later I got a call from royal. My luggage was shipped home free of charge. Since that day I pay close attention to roll call, google the date and never leave my luggage outside on the last night. 

I was not  happy camper on my cruise, there was a large group staying on my deck, partying going on into the wee hours of the morning.  Areas were closed off, a lot of line cutting, and a free for all at the elevators.

5 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I went out and looked at the roll call too and I agree.  15 families celebrating a Quinceanera ?  Run!  That said, it might be hard to avoid out of Miami in the summer.  Can you wait a month until school is back in?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

I learned the term Quince on our first and almost last Royal cruise. Empress out of SJ. 

FWIW, 15 families doesn't sound like that many on a big ship like Symphony 

I agree it may seem like 15 isn't a lot, but I'm Cuban, so trust me when I tell you that when they say family they mean ALL the family....immediate, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends....and most Latin families tend to be on the larger side.  Could be 10, could be 100.  You could be fine, you could also end up with the cabin next to their block of cabins and never get a moment's peace.  They will not be hurting for unlimited drink package sales on that cruise.  Given a choice I wouldn't chance it, but that's just me.

Edited by custompcsys
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

This is fairly close to sailing, so unless you have another option that doesn't cause issues with flights and added costs, I'd keep an open mind.  We've been on an Oasis Class Sailing with those celebrating these 2x.  One time it mainly seemed to be individual families not an organized group (only knew from seeing girls dressed up and taking pictures on Formal Night) and the other time they did close the Solarium upper deck in the evening one time with a LARGE cake and party.  We are pretty picky and none of this bothered us or interrupted our vacation at all, but I guess each group could be different.  Wonder if you could try to figure out the group name or the travel agent organizing and get a sense of how many people are involved in the group?  Closing down the Solarium upper deck one night was so not a big deal, but I've heard when large companies book sometimes they'll rent out the Boardwalk for a night or something like that.  Hard to know without more information and it is a fairly soon.  We are on the week before!

• Like 1

I rather enjoyed my time on one of our cruises that was a "Quince" cruise.

All those beautiful young ladies all dressed up. The doting fathers.

Of course the language coming from some of the young ladies complaining about their shoes and the dresses would have made a sailor blush.....

I enjoyed my brief introduction to a new culture. I had never experienced or heard of this tradition.

• Like 1

ugh.

I'm on that cruise.  It turned me off at first.  At that time, there were only a few posts on the roll call and I haven't checked in since.  I too had never heard of a quince cruise

We've made final payment and flights are booked - so we are stuck.

I remember a few years ago on FOTS we were sailing with the Danny Partridge Fan Club and our whole roll call was concerned they would take over the ship.  They were barely noticed.  We'd see them and their private event around the ship but nothing impacted our holiday.

Hoping the same for this.  Our first cruise without actively participating in a roll call thread or a meet/greet.

Edited by Queen of Oakville

8 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

...I remember a few years ago on FOTS we were sailing with the Danny Partridge Fan Club and our whole roll call was concerned they would take over the ship.  They were barely noticed.  We'd see them and their private event around the ship but nothing impacted our holiday....

Much as i hate to admit it, most of us old enough to be or have been a fan of Danny Partridge (or even remember who he was) are long past our days of drunken debauchery.  This group will be a tad younger 🙂

Edited by custompcsys
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, custompcsys said:

Much as i hate to admit it, most of us old enough to be or have been a fan of Danny Partridge (or even remember who he was) are long past our days of drunken debauchery.  This group will be a tad younger 🙂

Very true.  I also wouldn't think Danny Partridge even has that many fans.

I would avoid this cruise at all costs.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Had no idea what a Quince cruise was. Now I know what Quince is.

Interesting. I just read all the posts on that roll call as I was interested in what you read that would turn you off from booking that cruise. I didn't read anything alarming. 

Funny, …. I went back to the roll call.

I had commented on how slow the roll call was.  Someone else responded with "how can we improve it".  My response to that was something to the effect of "I can see where most people would open the thread and read about this being a Quince Cruise and be turned off by this.  I've been on roll calls before which were overrun by private groups and it takes away from the roll call."  I suggested to the OP that she find a private board - perhaps the book of faces where she could meet up with the other families on her quince cruise".    I guess my post was reported and deleted.

52 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

Interesting. I just read all the posts on that roll call as I was interested in what you read that would turn you off from booking that cruise. I didn't read anything alarming. 

This:

"Yes my daughter and niece are both turning 15. a travel agency from Miami arranges everything for us and about 15 other families and their friends."

One or two wouldn't be alarming.  15 is alarming.  Picture a 3-night Carnival weekend cruise out of Miami.

• Haha 1

For those that are committed and have to go--just keep an open mind.  I have been on those cruises on an Oasis Class ship.  We are VERY picky and would be bugged by even somewhat difficult behavior, and we had no problems.  2nd time was either on Harmony or Oasis (but think it was Harmony) and other than seeing large groups standing around with the huge dress bags the first day, the ONLY thing was that one night they closed the upper deck of Solarium for a party for a few hours.  It is a very big ship with lots of space---odds are you will be fine.

• Like 1

Where I live I see these events all the time in summer weekends.  I bet there is one going on in the state park close to my house.   They are just the Spanish version of the Sweet Sixteen party for girls, except one year younger and more dressy.  

These events are very visible for sure, but are not particularly noisy, nor are they prone to getting drunk or out of hand.  After all the girls are only 15 and the parents are most likely in their 40's or 50's, neither in the binge drinking age.  I doubt they will be unduly intrusive to anyone.  More like a large group wedding with a dry bar.  

Thanks everyone. My travel agent called Royal Caribbean and they couldn't find any large groups specifically identified as "Quincenera". This week works best for me for many reasons.

Hoping that booking this won't be a huge mistake.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Very true.  I also wouldn't think Danny Partridge even has that many fans.

I would avoid this cruise at all costs.

Yes, my immediate thought was, "how much trouble could four or five people that old cause".  And, yes, I'm old enough myself  to know who is is/was so not dissing "old people".

Run away as fast as you can.   The most badly behaved bunch of kids I’ve ever had the displeasure of dealing with.  Entitled, spoiled rotten, drunk and disrespectful are the BEST things I could say about them.  The families merely seemed to support the behaviours.   The apples didn’t fall far from the rotten trees.   It’s obvious that ALL quince kids aren’t bad, we were possibly just unfortunate.

• Like 4

We too cruised on Oasis with a large Quincenera group.  The group boarded with many, many rolling racks of dresses so we were a bit curious about how it would all go down, as there were obviously lots of families, but we experienced no problems.  At various spots we would see the groups taking pictures and at dinner one night they had a parade of the girls in their dresses though the MDR (at least on our level).  It was very pretty and we enjoyed seeing them dressed up!  No closing areas that we noticed and no drunken cuss fits.  I would not be concerned.  

• Like 2