Traveling during a Quince Cruise - Bad idea?

1 hour ago, ryguy2008 said:

Thanks everyone. My travel agent called Royal Caribbean and they couldn't find any large groups specifically identified as "Quincenera". This week works best for me for many reasons.

Hoping that booking this won't be a huge mistake.

RC is never going to tell you something like  that.  They just don't.

Words of advice:

Avoid the Royal Promenade.  These groups tend to walk en masse, straight across, blocking anyone else's ability to go past, around or through them.

Avoid the elevators.  Period.

Take ear plugs.

Take Valium.

Seriously, perhaps look into the UDP.  

Do you have a balcony cabin?  That would give you  some relief from what will be an insanely overrun pool deck.  If you like lying in the sun by the pool, plan to be on the deck above instead.  

• Like 4

We were on a cruise on the Allure last July. I think there were about 15 girls with their families doing the Quincenera trip. They had a private event in the ice rink area one night, but otherwise didn't affect our trip at all. The girls were lovely. The only problem I had was this was the first trip in 10 cruises that I did not pack a gown for formal night. Felt a little underdressed in my cocktail dress with all the amazing gowns and tuxes for those families. 

4 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

Had no idea what a Quince cruise was. Now I know what Quince is.

Interesting. I just read all the posts on that roll call as I was interested in what you read that would turn you off from booking that cruise. I didn't read anything alarming. 

3 hours ago, custompcsys said:

This:

"Yes my daughter and niece are both turning 15. a travel agency from Miami arranges everything for us and about 15 other families and their friends."

One or two wouldn't be alarming.  15 is alarming.  Picture a 3-night Carnival weekend cruise out of Miami.

Yes, this, this, a thousand times this. As another poster said, each group could contain up to 100 people.  That could  be 1500 people, all partying like, well, 15 year olds.  😉 

bwahahaha Merion Mom, …. I'm really not sure how you feel about this subject 😉

I wish I had asked here when I first looked at the roll call.  For the poster who called Royal Caribbean - all I did was google the sailing date and ship name and Quince Cruise and came across the travel agent who was planning this event.  If you are really worried - call the travel agent and find out how many people are part of their charter.

Me, I'm stuck.

1 hour ago, Merion_Mom said:

RC is never going to tell you something like  that.  They just don't.

Words of advice:

Avoid the Royal Promenade.  These groups tend to walk en masse, straight across, blocking anyone else's ability to go past, around or through them.

Avoid the elevators.  Period.

Take ear plugs.

Take Valium.

Seriously, perhaps look into the UDP.  

Do you have a balcony cabin?  That would give you  some relief from what will be an insanely overrun pool deck.  If you like lying in the sun by the pool, plan to be on the deck above instead.  

I can vouch for the arm in arm walking down the Promenade. The tend to lock elbows.

The hot tubs will be insane as well. 👙👙

Edited by John&LaLa

8 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

I learned the term Quince on our first and almost last Royal cruise. Empress out of SJ. 

FWIW, 15 families doesn't sound like that many on a big ship like Symphony 

For a quince, each family is likely to be numbered in the mid double digits.  20-50 per family, all of whom travel in packs at all times.  

21 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

I wish I had asked here when I first looked at the roll call.  For the poster who called Royal Caribbean - all I did was google the sailing date and ship name and Quince Cruise and came across the travel agent who was planning this event.  If you are really worried - call the travel agent and find out how many people are part of their charter.

Me, I'm stuck.

Try a few of my coping strategies.

Hey, if you are lucky, these 15 families will all be some of the sweetest, kindest, most considerate groups ever booked on the ship!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spookwife said:

For a quince, each family is likely to be numbered in the mid double digits.  20-50 per family, all of whom travel in packs at all times.  

I get it. My Empress cruise had around 30 girls on a ship one quarter the size. That was rough

23 minutes ago, Queen of Oakville said:

Me, I'm stuck.

Interesting. The sailing before is actually also a "Quince cruise" (as is the next Symphony sailing this month).

I'm looking at a Central Park balcony.

12 minutes ago, ryguy2008 said:

Interesting. The sailing before is actually also a "Quince cruise" (as is the next Symphony sailing this month).

I'm looking at a Central Park balcony.

If you are lucky, they will think that Central Park is boring, and find other places to hang out.  🙂  

• Like 1

Really surprised at the reaction of many of you posters.  I taught in Miami for 24 years and many of my students had religious/cultural events.  Never heard any negative reports from my students.  They all seemed to have wonderful family parties.  I would most likely be a party crasher and join the celebration.  Those of you who are booked on this cruise, I hope you have an enjoyable cruise.  I always loved learning and being involved in celebrations of other cultures.  Grew up in Western PA in the country where everyone was of same religion and ethnic background so moving to Miami after college was a wonderful learning experience for me.

• Like 4

Just now, Snit13 said:

Really surprised at the reaction of many of you posters.  I taught in Miami for 24 years and many of my students had religious/cultural events.  Never heard any negative reports from my students.  They all seemed to have wonderful family parties.  I would most likely be a party crasher and join the celebration.  Those of you who are booked on this cruise, I hope you have an enjoyable cruise.  I always loved learning and being involved in celebrations of other cultures.  Grew up in Western PA in the country where everyone was of same religion and ethnic background so moving to Miami after college was a wonderful learning experience for me.

I wouldn't expect the party attendees to have negative experiences.  The problems come for the people that aren't a part of the party.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, truffles2 said:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned how the groups congregate/sit on the stairs, thereby blocking their use by other cruisers......

A nice loud, "EXCUSE ME!" and walking on through tends to fix that.

My parents spent many years as "winter Texans" near Mission. We visited one year and took a bus tour to Monterey. The tour guide was from Mexico. He described his daughter's quince in depth. He said is was more important, bigger and more expensive than a wedding.

We were on one of these cruises a few years ago. The things I remember mostly:

The NOISE - they scream and screech at each other and all at full volume

Formal Night - They really really dressed up (although some of the dresses didn't contain a great deal of fabric!)

The line at Guest Relations on the final night. Apparently they all pay their bills in cash, each separate from the others and there was a line of over a hundred girls and family members at GR that night.

Thankfully they didn't impact our cruise greatly but I would imagine if you were on a corridor with a big group of them it would make a difference. If I had a choice I wouldn't cruise with them

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Try a few of my coping strategies.

Hey, if you are lucky, these 15 families will all be some of the sweetest, kindest, most considerate groups ever booked on the ship!

As already mentioned...bwa..hah..hah...hah...hah!!   Good one...dream on!  😄 

14 hours ago, Snit13 said:

As an other example: Young adults in college.  Different way they control themselves once those same young adults get to college spring break at the beaches.  Just an example, and yes...have been on a Quince cruise.  Will never book another one again.  Hopefully these same "ladies" don't act like that at home like they did on the cruise I booked.  😮   

Thank you for your service as a teacher.  

Edited by island lady