What would you do? Cancel or go?

BullyLvr

So myself, hubby, daughter and grandson are booked in adjoining mini-suites on the 16 June sailing on Bliss, RT Alaska from Seattle. We’re traveling with my brother in law and his family. We are all very excited.  Until.....

Yesterday I broke my left arm badly and will have surgery this Friday, one week from when we fly.  My surgeon says it’s not too complicated of a fix, but I’ll have some hardware. Hopefully all will go well, and I’ll be in much less (or no) pain, but will be in a short arm cast. Today I cancelled my Thermal Spa Pass.  Figured I wouldn’t want to take additional chances of the cast getting wet in the pool or sauna so no use spending the money.  I can lounge in the Observation lounge I guess. But I’m seriously considering canceling the trip. We have insurance and cruise fare would be reimbursed. Flying AA and will be charged $125pp and have 1 year to rebook flights.  I’m just afraid I’ll be miserable.  This will be my 3rd time to Alaska. We don’t have any excursions planned I’d need to cancel, like zip-lining. Hubby says he’ll do whatever I think best.  I’m just kind of afraid. One week after surgery seems a bit too soon. My plan today is wait until a couple days after surgery to see how it goes.  What do you guys and gals think?  How would you feel if this was you?

Hard to know until it's you in that position, but I'd probably go ahead and go.  On one of our prior Alaska sailings, we noticed a lady with a cast on her last lounging on one of the lounge chairs during the sail away.  We got to talking with them, and she'd broken her leg or ankle, or something like that.  They debated the same thing, and decided to go anyway.  It's been long enough ago that I forget if she was on crutches or not, but her husband helped her get around some in a wheel chair.  We got to be friends with them and spent quite a bit of time playing cards with them on the Sea days.

I think she did cancel a couple of her excursions, but I'm pretty sure she still went whale watching.  If she could do that with a broken leg (or ankle), which inhibits her getting around, you can do it with a cast on your arm.

• Like 1

That's why God gave you two arms .... As long as you have one, your hearing, and vision there isn't enough reason to cancel a cruise for everyone. Sucks but you'll be fine even in a cast ........

Edited by tallnthensome
  • Like 2

I would go. A short arm cast will not hinder you relaxing, spending time with family or enjoying the scenery.

Hubby had surgery 10 days before a cruise to remove benign tumours in his neck and it was a really nice way for him to continue to heal and relax. 

Also since you have already been to Alaska you will not feel pressured to try and see it all.

• Like 2

We traveled 7 weeks after hubby's hip replacement surgery, 9 days in New Orleans & 10 day cruise, lots of people thought we were crazy but Surgeon said yes, take aspirin for blood clots and take it easy.

one week feels quick but how long is your recovery expected to be?

if the surgeon says yes, I would say it's a beautiful place to recover

You say you will be miserable.  IMHO I think you would be more miserable home with a broken arm regretting cancelling your cruise  At least the vacation will take your mind off things and what a great way to start healing.

I vote not to cancel

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, perditax said:

Not to be glib, but if you can tolerate decent pain meds, that should help you relax.

(Assuming the “war on opioids” hasn’t stopped paid meds even for major surgery, no idea at this point.)

Yeah they’re making me pretty nauseous.  Even with taking Zofran. But, hoping the pain will be less after surgery.  Thanks all.  I’m just feeling pretty lousy.  Hopefully much better by the 16th. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, david_sobe said:

You say you will be miserable.  IMHO I think you would be more miserable home with a broken arm regretting cancelling your cruise  At least the vacation will take your mind off things and what a great way to start healing.

I vote not to cancel

You’re probably right!  As hubby said, no cleaning, no cooking, and we do have the drink package. I’m just feeling like  having a pity party I guess. I’m sure I’ll be fine.

• Like 2

I would continue with the cruise if I were in your place.  You’ll have people to help carry your luggage and any other things you need to carry.  Just relax and continue your recovery on the ship.  That’s all contingent on the surgeon giving the go-ahead after the surgery is complete.  If he/she recommends cancelling, I would definitely cancel.

Edited by nwcruiselover

I would definitely say go (with doctor’s permission of course).  Cruises are a great way to relax, and relaxing is a great way to heal faster.  Plus, as others have said in this thread, you don’t want to be at home feeling perfectly fine, but regretting cancelling a great vacation.  Just my two cents 

I say go. I just went on a cruise Jan 17th after a tendon repair in my ankle on Dec. 31. I bought a wheelchair and it was great. I didn't get to do the excursions I wanted. Not because Dr. said no but because the excursion people said no last minute. I had way more fun hobbling around on the ship than I would have here at home.

I would go for sure. I know you may still have pain... significant or not, but, you won't be expected to do anything except relax. This could very easily help with your recovery since there'll be less strain on your overall body.  Sincerely hope you're well enough to travel and enjoy as much as possible with your loved ones. 

Good luck and speedy recovery. 

3 hours ago, tallnthensome said:

That's why God gave you two arms .... As long as you have one, your hearing, and vision there isn't enough reason to cancel a cruise for everyone. Sucks but you'll be fine even in a cast ........

Agreed !  

I'm having vascular surgery tomorrow morning, on the Joy the 22nd. Actually scheduled surgery after booking the trip.  Was on the Bliss during spring break, came home and caught a wretched case of the flu...wished during my 5 days of misery I was on the ship being taken care of.

7 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

Totally unnecessary attitude.  Get a grip. I've had to make the same choice so I know it's not an easy choice. How about you? 

Sorry wasn’t sure how else to put it. I should have said I wouldn’t want to pooch a great vacation for my large group family with the indecision. My impression from the post was that she goes or nobody goes. If that’s wrong I apologize.  

Just now, GratefulRIC said:

Sorry wasn’t sure how else to put it. I should have said I wouldn’t want to pooch a great vacation for my large group family with the indecision. My impression from the post was that she goes or nobody goes. If that’s wrong I apologize.  

Great way to put it. I think she was willing to let others go but was unsure if she'd be able to enjoy. I went on a 6 week road trip which included a 7 day cruise after breaking both ulna and radius bones in my wrist so I know it it's not an easy choice.  For me, it worked out well since I was healed within 5 weeks, well prior to expectations.  You can't always have the same results though and it can be very difficult and painful. 

Sorry didn't mean to be harsh but pain is pain just like love is love. 

You don’t have to decide immediately, you will still lose the entire fare :< but you said you have insurance.  Wait till the last minute to decide to see how you feel.  Also check your insurance, it may cover your airfare too just in case...

Personally, I’d go if the dr. OKs it.

Broke right wrist 2017, first 3 days after surgery were the worse, also had hardware put in.   did cancel a land vacation to Mexico, since I would not be able to get in water and couldn't do anything about packing, but I am right handed!    the worse only required a very few pain pills.  I suggest give 3 days after surgery to decide, won't make any difference wise for insurance??  Hope not.  Hoping for your speedy recovery,