No longer a Cuba Cruise, do I ask for my $$ Back?

SGilly

We're at an impasse-not sure what to do. Given the option to sail at half price and a future cruise discount OR cancelling the cruise. I'm curious, which choice are you taking and why?

Good question! Mostly taking valuable time off from work to not do what we planned.  We live in Florida near beautiful beaches, so sailing to the Bahamas doesn't have the draw that Cuba did. The other side is simply taking time off to sit on the ship & enjoy the experience...alot to be said for that...but then we go back to taking time off again and not having the learning experience that we were looking for!! ARGH!!!

• Haha 1

If it was my choice, I'd still take the cruise... but that's because, for me, its all about the ship more than the ports... and what a deal, 50% refund and 50% off a cruise of your choice at a later date...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, SGilly said:

Good question! Mostly taking valuable time off from work to not do what we planned.  We live in Florida near beautiful beaches, so sailing to the Bahamas doesn't have the draw that Cuba did. The other side is simply taking time off to sit on the ship & enjoy the experience...alot to be said for that...but then we go back to taking time off again and not having the learning experience that we were looking for!! ARGH!!!

I always error to the side of taking time off. At 56 my time off is far more important than going to work. You have to do what makes you happy, you only live once

• Like 4

I don’t know that any of us can make your mind up for you.

Personally, I’m always up for a cruise.

Anytime I can get someone to cook for me, clean for me, fetch me drinks, watch some great entertainment.....etc.....I’m all for it.

Only you can decide if any of that’s worth it for you, though.

• Like 4

We were also supposed to be on a Cuba cruise. We never even considered cancelling, because for the 50% refund and the future cruise credit, along with finally just getting to take a vacation, that was what we really wanted. I think it's a personal opinion and choice, but for us there was never a question about going. We are just happy to relax and get away from every day love for a few days.

• Like 3

I'd go as well.  No way would I cancel a cruise just b/c they changed a port. I understand about the educational/learning experience, however, eventually, everyone will be able to travel to Cuba.  This will still be a nice break away from everyday life as long you "make it so".  Enjoy

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SGilly said:

We're at an impasse-not sure what to do. Given the option to sail at half price and a future cruise discount OR cancelling the cruise. I'm curious, which choice are you taking and why?

To me it is an easy choice with the discount and FCC you are in effect getting a free cruise except for the port charges.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mhester47 said:

We canceled.  My cruise was far in the future and the port swapped was one we've been to many times.  I'm rolling the dice to see if Cuba gets put back as quickly as it got removed.

Good luck, I think that best case it will be two years before it is back.

• Like 1

It's 50% back now and that same amount as a credit towards another cruise before the end of 2020. So you can go on another (inexpensive) cruise for not a whole lot of money!

3 hours ago, C cruise said:

If it was my choice, I'd still take the cruise... but that's because, for me, its all about the ship more than the ports... and what a deal, 50% refund and 50% off a cruise of your choice at a later date...

The 1st part is right . Take the cruise and your fare ill be refunded 50% ..... the 2nd part, 50% off a future cruise isn't.

The 50% Future Cruise Credit off a cruise at a later date is a discount applied based on 50% of the fare paid for the cancelled Cuba cruise.

So if you paid $600 per person for the Cuba cruise, the Future Cruise Credit is $300 per person.

The way you worded this makes it sound like one could book a $1298 per person balcony and pay only $649 per person. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

Good luck, I think that best case it will be two years before it is back.

That, plus I bet the next time travel restrictions are relaxed, cruise lines will want some sort of guarantee that they won’t be screwed over with 24 hours notice again.  Especially before they start to schedule regular travel again

• Like 1

If you take the cruise and receive a 50% discount now, and take another cruise by the end of next year you will in fact get a free cruise: this cruise with the deviation from Cuba. 

I understand that you chose this cruise specifically to visit Cuba and understand your disappointment. If saving your time off for some other purpose than taking a free Bahama cruise I can understand that also but only you can make such value judgements. For us it would be a no-brainer. We cruise regularly so the free cruise fits us just fine.

• Like 2

If you were hoping to have a learning experience, you're not going to find that on many other cruises unless you go on the more expensive lines.

If you really like cruising then take the offer for discounts. If you want an enriching vacation, find a way to do that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AdGuyMG said:

The 1st part is right . Take the cruise and your fare ill be refunded 50% ..... the 2nd part, 50% off a future cruise isn't.

The 50% Future Cruise Credit off a cruise at a later date is a discount applied based on 50% of the fare paid for the cancelled Cuba cruise.

So if you paid $600 per person for the Cuba cruise, the Future Cruise Credit is $300 per person.

The way you worded this makes it sound like one could book a $1298 per person balcony and pay only $649 per person. 

that isn't the way it was worded...I still think its 50% on this one and another 50% on a future cruise