That should teach him...$10,000 fee

Elaine5715

http://crew-center.com/10000-fine-man-who-jumped-intentionally-carnival-fascination

$10.000 Fine for the Man Who Jumped Intentionally from Carnival Fascination

May 27, 2019
carnival-fascination-rescues-passanger-w

The man who jumped intentionally from the cruise ship Carnival Fascination on May 19, will have to pay $10.000 for the rescue, reports Tu Noticia PR. According to the news website, the passenger who jumped overboard was from Puerto Rico and was on a Honeymoon cruise. The cruise ship had left Barbados sailing to Puerto Rico when the man jumped from Deck 10 with the excuse that he was "celebrating his honeymoon".

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, RWolver672 said:

Can a company legally fine someone and legally force them to pay it?  A court fine will find you in jail if you refuse to pay it but what recourse would a Cruise Line have it not paid?   

They can certainly charge his CC or bill him, whether they can collect is another question.  Banning for life by all cruise lines seems much more appropriate.  A shame they do not have other recourse.

9 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

They can certainly charge his CC or bill him, whether they can collect is another question.  Banning for life by all cruise lines seems much more appropriate.  A shame they do not have other recourse.

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

The article does imply that he is banned from ever sailing any of he World's Leading Cruise Lines brands:

"Carnival Cruise Line has a strict policy for such a stupid and reckless behavior, especially when a person puts his own life at risk he/she are banned from ever sailing onboard Carnival cruise ships and their brands. However, this is the first time a passenger is charged for the rescue by a cruise line."

I applaud the levying of the fine and hope that they are able to collect it from him.  In this age of idiocy for the sake of social media views / followers / likes, there is more and more of this stupid, reckless, selfish behaviour that ends up costing others to rescue/ put the "Look At Me" idiots back together.  I've felt for a very long time that all of these kinds of rescues (not just cruise ship related) should be charged to the perpetrators.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Hopefully he will be banned for life from all cruise lines for his own safety.Wonder if his wife realized she married such a dummy

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Just now, ShakyBeef said:

Yes, they most definitely do.

Good then I hope this person is on it.  Does it apply to all cruise lines or does each family of lines have their own list? (I'm just asking out of curiosity, if you happen to know). 

2 minutes ago, purplephenom said:

Good then I hope this person is on it.  Does it apply to all cruise lines or does each family of lines have their own list? (I'm just asking out of curiosity, if you happen to know). 

I do not know if cruise lines share their no-cruise lists with their competitors, but I would hope they do.  I'm curious on that matter, too.  The no-cruise list does cover all lines owned by any umbrella company, though.  So, in this case, if he is on the list, he can not cruise on any of Carnival Corp.'s lines (World's Leading Cruise Lines).

• Like 1

I just wonder how they came up with the figure $10,,000. That seems arbitrary.

And it would not surprise me that they will not be able to collect if they charge his credit card since what are the odds that he has a credit limit that high. And I see no other real way to collect as they are not a government entity that can enforce fines.

And of course banning him for life is a no brainer. One would hope the lines other than the ones owned by Carnival join in that. It would seem to be in the best interest of all the lines to share this type of information.

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

. And I see no other real way to collect as they are not a government entity that can enforce fines.

There are countless ways to collect ranging from debt collection services to actually filing the debt in civil court for a judgement which gives the power to garnish wages.

• Like 1

I don't believe Carnival fined him, as there is no legal means to do so.  However, I've just seen another instance where the USCG fined a person for jumping off a cruise ship, and it was for "intentionally interfering with the safe operation of a ship".

• Like 2