Delivery fee

TIMJRTAMPA

On Bottled Water , NCL ( The Nickle and Dime Line ) is the largest abuser in associated costs.

Even now RECL :NYSE on the new and Rebuilds are charging per iten in the BBQ too.

On Carnival CCL :NYSE LSE yoiur not allowed to bring aboard bottled water anymore GRATIS.

Cans of water you may .

Here in the most competitive markets in the world, the lowest Bottled Water cost is from a Rochester, Monroe County , NY firm. Five cents a bottle and no deposits in NJ here.

Soda Pop we wait till the sales and coupons cost is about 10-11 cents per can 12 oz.,No Deposits

I too recently make a purchase for our room and noticed the delivery charge.  Sixteen dollars to deliver it one floor.  It does not say it is a gratuity but does say it is a delivery charge.  Maybe we should start going and having the amount from the delivery charge reduced from our gratuities.  I know that some of you will say that it’s not fair to do this but many feel that it is not fair to charge the delivery fee.   Carnival got your attention with the delivery fee and you will get their attention with the removal of gratuities to match the fees and then a decision will have to be made from carnival.  Until someone feels uncomfortable they will keep charging more than what they should.

2 hours ago, dfencecoach said:

I too recently make a purchase for our room and noticed the delivery charge.  Sixteen dollars to deliver it one floor.  It does not say it is a gratuity but does say it is a delivery charge.  Maybe we should start going and having the amount from the delivery charge reduced from our gratuities.  I know that some of you will say that it’s not fair to do this but many feel that it is not fair to charge the delivery fee.   Carnival got your attention with the delivery fee and you will get their attention with the removal of gratuities to match the fees and then a decision will have to be made from carnival.  Until someone feels uncomfortable they will keep charging more than what they should.

Removing gratuities in the amount of the delivery fee is not "sticking it" to Carnival, it's "sticking it" to those who would have received the gratuities.  You do you, but I don't think this is the way to get the message across.  Simply not placing any orders at all would be a better way to accomplish that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dfencecoach said:

By not placing orders carnival is still going to get their money for the week. However a few complaints from employees and carnival may look at revising their policy. 

I'm not sure how the employees would be able to associate the two aspects, unless you told them outright: "I'm removing your tips because of outrageous delivery fees for something that has nothing to do with you!  You should complain to your boss!"  Yeah, that's probably not going to happen...

Personally, I would simply not get things delivered if I was that wound up about it.  I'm no longer interested in getting angry over things that I probably cannot change.  I don't tilt at windmills any more, for example...

• Like 2

Delivery fee: remove tips.  No table clothes: remove tips.  No straws: remove tips

Is there any chance you are just looking for another reason to remove your tips? The delivery fee is not the fault of all of the behind the scenes people and others that count on that income.

It is a Carnival policy, complain to them do not take it out on employees.

• Like 3

If you bought something for your room (soda, wine etc.) while on a cruise there was always a gratuity added.

Nobody never really complained about that. 

Is it because they call it a delivery fee instead of gratuity?

I always wondered why they never charged this before pre cruise. I guess they caught on to this extra money maker.

It won't change my buying habits but I will wait till I'm onboard now since it will be the same price.  

I only bought pre cruise to save the gratuity/deliver fee  

4 hours ago, dfencecoach said:

By not placing orders carnival is still going to get their money for the week. However a few complaints from employees and carnival may look at revising their policy. 

The analysts will notice a downtick in Fun Shops orders, but they will not notice a few random complaints from employees that people are removing grats because of the delivery fee.  The assumption will always be that grats are removed because of service issues.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bases5 said:

A few weeks ago I purchased items for our stateroom on the CCL website for our cruise in September.  Alcohol and bottled water.  They charged me delivery fees of $32.31 and tax of $12.25.  It was a bit of sticker shock, but we do enjoy the convenience.  That $32.31 was exactly 18%.  Sounds like the delivery fee is definitely the gratuity.  I am guessing that same fee would be charged if the items were ordered once onboard from room service as opposed to pre-ordering online.  For me, paying for it a few months in advance lessens the pain of our S&S account tally at the end of the cruise!

16 minutes ago, Bases5 said:

If you bought something for your room (soda, wine etc.) while on a cruise there was always a gratuity added.

Nobody never really complained about that. 

I always wondered why they never charged this before pre cruise. I guess they caught on to this extra money maker.

It won't change my buying habits but I will wait till I'm onboard now since it will be the same price.  

I only bought pre cruise to save the gratuity/deliver fee  

This is exactly my problem. They call it a delivery fee.  I’ve always been the type of person who believes you should be straight forward.  I could deal with it better if they called it a gratuity.  Just to let everyone know I’m a platinum member and have never removed my gratuities and have often added to them.  

The Delivery Fee is right there...  they are not hiding it...  it's your choice whether to place the order or not.  If you place the order, then clearly you are OK with the delivery fee -- not happy about it -- but OK with it as you have agreed to it. I feel the same about shipping and taxes when I purchase items online -- not happy about it -- but OK with it.

Since they call it a delivery fee you can bet it isn’t paid over as a gratuity. 

Wht really balls me is that it is on each item, so if you order eg two bottles, it is one trip but a gigantic fee. Also since it is based on a percentage of cost of the purchased item, bears no relationship to the cost of the delivery service incurred by CCL. 

I abandoned my order last cruise when the fee got tacked on and will never order again. Given the ridiculous mark up on a bottle I would have willingly paid, they are losing profit with their fee strategy. 

The delivery charged should be capped at a certain limit, say $10.  I don't mind paying an extra fifty cents to have a 12 pack of water delivered to my cabin, but for the OP to get charged $50 for delivery isn't nickel and diming, it's over the top extortion!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, evandbob said:

The delivery charged should be capped at a certain limit, say $10.  I don't mind paying an extra fifty cents to have a 12 pack of water delivered to my cabin, but for the OP to get charged $50 for delivery isn't nickel and diming, it's over the top extortion!

Right?!? I would be cool with a flat rate delivery fee. I wouldn’t bat an eye at $10. Like I said if it wasn’t for the wife and kids I would have canceled it and they would have lost the sale. They have lost all future ones though I guarantee that! 

• Like 1

I agree  either cap a $ amount delivery fee or call it gratuities if they are charging 18%  

Like I said before   I will just get it after  the ship sails  and pay the 18% gratuities plus I will save sales tax.  

On 6/13/2019 at 5:17 AM, TIMJRTAMPA said:

Am I wrong to not expect a delivery fee on something delivered to our room?? Especially $50 damn dollars! 

Yes, you are wrong. That $49.50 is the 18% delivery fee which is added to every purchase from the Fun Shop and is clearly outlined on the Fun Shop FAQ, so it shouldn't be a surprise. You also had the option to cancel the pending order before placing it and agreeing to the purchase.

Edited by Sean_B

5 hours ago, momof3cruisers said:

I'm super curious who receives that 18% fee.

I would imagine it's no different than the other onboard gratuities; 18% for your room, 18% for the drinks, 18% for the Fun Shop delivery, etc.

Wait for the 18% on the pizza delivery, coming to a cruise ship near you.

11 hours ago, Sean_B said:

Yes, you are wrong. That $49.50 is the 18% delivery fee which is added to every purchase from the Fun Shop and is clearly outlined on the Fun Shop FAQ, so it shouldn't be a surprise. You also had the option to cancel the pending order before placing it and agreeing to the purchase.

Who in the actual hell says let me go read the small print before I order and item to see if they added a delivery fee?? Nobody, so yes it should be a surprise. Like I originally stated if my entire family hadn’t given me a list already I would have not placed the order. If your ok paying 18% for them to deliver an item a couple floors then you pay it. I won’t be paying it again. They should rename it 18% gratuity for the person bringing it to me but they don’t which leaves me to believe since they worded it a delivery charge they are pocketing free money. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TIMJRTAMPA said:

Who in the actual hell says let me go read the small print before I order and item to see if they added a delivery fee?? Nobody, so yes it should be a surprise. Like I originally stated if my entire family hadn’t given me a list already I would have not placed the order. If your ok paying 18% for them to deliver an item a couple floors then you pay it. I won’t be paying it again. They should rename it 18% gratuity for the person bringing it to me but they don’t which leaves me to believe since they worded it a delivery charge they are pocketing free money. 

I think $49 is an excessive delivery fee and I would never pay it. I don’t care who asked me to order it, I’d explain the crazy delivery fee and I’m sure they’d understand. If you’re as against the fee as you state here cancel it. It’s ok to say no to your kids.  Its actually good for them to experience disappointment and see they can feel better just as quickly. Just MHO. Have a great cruise whatever you decide with the delivery fee!

On 6/13/2019 at 3:17 AM, TIMJRTAMPA said:

So I just ordered some beverages and gifts to be delivered to our room on the first day and was kind of shocked the delivery fee was $50! I just ordered $275 worth of stuff. I think that is an absolute joke!! If my family hadn’t already picked stuff out I would not have ordered it and I guarantee I won’t ever again. 

Am I wrong to not expect a delivery fee on something delivered to our room?? Especially $50 damn dollars! 

418D1704-FD16-4331-8B28-7E2F212929C0.png

It's a flat 18% on everything you order and the charge is listed with the tax (if any) before you complete the payment process, so it shouldn't be a surprise.

I remember long ago, before it was advertised in the fun shops, and it was $45 for a liter of vodka. All I paid was $6-7 dollar tax. I had thought about ordering a bottle for my upcoming 31 days on the Splendor, but with tax and delivery charge now added, I am going to pass. As long as people continue to buy, they will continue to charge whatever they want. As others have said, I don’t mind paying a flat fee, like $10, but 18% per item is ridiculous. 

So if I go into the liquor shop and buy a couple bottles of liquor for the end of the cruise are they going to charge me for the delivery fee. If so, so much for the savings on the cheaper price of the liquor and what would be the incentive to buy it