Ever have awful Table mates?

It is one thing to be cautious about germs.  It is quite another to be obsessed.  Lecturing people in public toilets about their hand washing or lack thereof falls well into the second category. 

Edited by K32682
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, K32682 said:

It is one thing to be cautious about germs.  It is quite another to be obsessed.  Lecturing people in public toilets about their hand washing or lack thereof falls well into the second category. 

If a pax stayed in the bathroom all day, then I would agree with you.  But we're talking about a 30 second interaction.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Anubi said:

On our last cruise we  brought wipes with hydrogen peroxide and wiped down everything in the cabin as soon as we arrived.  They are recommended for noro as they actually kill the virus.   

Anubi would you mind sharing the brand name of the wipes? (Hydrogen peroxide) 

Edited by zitsky

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

If a pax stayed in the bathroom all day, then I would agree with you.  But we're talking about a 30 second interaction.

But what about all those other people who are in those toilets who might not wash their hands without anyone there to reproach them for their gruesomely unsanitary behavior?  They and their hands will be circulating among us, touching things, shaking hands, touching you, sitting at the same table, passing the salt shaker, relentlessly spreading their nasty germs to everyone.  Whatever will you do?  

2 hours ago, K32682 said:

Next time that happens to you, offer them an opportunity for a one finger visual inspection.

1 hour ago, mom says said:

Next time that happens to you, offer them an opportunity for a one finger visual inspection.

Not going to happen to me.  I wash my hands at least most of the time. LOL. 

32 minutes ago, Mike981 said:

Well we're almost at 30 pages and once again it has turned into a hygiene discussion.

I get your point.  Do you have something to contribute to bring it back on topic?  A story maybe?

OK,  to get back to the topic- much has centered around choice of discussion topics suitable for the table and what makes for an awful table mate  in that respect. Or hygiene issues. But what about table manners? I'm thinking of the ones who eat with their mouth open, talk with their mouths full, slurp their soup or beverages. I don't think this would be enough for me to leave the table mid meal; but I do believe I would be asking for a table change when I left the MDR that night. I used to be amazed at how many diners exhibited poor table manners, but little surprises me any more.

2 minutes ago, mom says said:

OK,  to get back to the topic- much has centered around choice of discussion topics suitable for the table and what makes for an awful table mate  in that respect. Or hygiene issues. But what about table manners? I'm thinking of the ones who eat with their mouth open, talk with their mouths full, slurp their soup or beverages. I don't think this would be enough for me to leave the table mid meal; but I do believe I would be asking for a table change when I left the MDR that night. I used to be amazed at how many diners exhibited poor table manners, but little surprises me any more.

Confrontational, tell them they're a pig.

Civilized, change tables... as you've said.

5 hours ago, zitsky said:

Anubi would you mind sharing the brand name of the wipes? (Hydrogen peroxide) 

They are Clorox and in Canada the only place they are available is Staples.  Not sure in the US but they are out there!!  

1 hour ago, mom says said:

What may be offensive table manners to one person might be entirely acceptable due to cultural differences.  Slurping soup is quite accepted in Japan as are eating with the hands (right only) in India, burping at the table in certain Middle Eastern countries, dropping a used napkin on the floor (Spain,) eating asparagus with your hand (UK and Europe.)  Equally possible is that you may be transgressing the accepted table manners of another country by eating with fork (Thailand,) salting your food (Portugal,) putting your hands in your lap (Russia,) sticking chopsticks in a bowl of rice (Japan,) asking for cheese with seafood pasta (Italy.) 

My approach is to ignore other people's table manners unless they are getting their food on me. 

19 minutes ago, K32682 said:

What may be offensive table manners to one person might be entirely acceptable due to cultural differences.  Slurping soup is quite accepted in Japan as are eating with the hands (right only) in India, burping at the table in certain Middle Eastern countries, dropping a used napkin on the floor (Spain,) eating asparagus with your hand (UK and Europe.)  Equally possible is that you may be transgressing the accepted table manners of another country by eating with fork (Thailand,) salting your food (Portugal,) putting your hands in your lap (Russia,) sticking chopsticks in a bowl of rice (Japan,) asking for cheese with seafood pasta (Italy.) 

My approach is to ignore other people's table manners unless they are getting their food on me. 

Quite aware of the cultural differences in dining customs in many different countries. However I don't believe we were discussing ships belonging to most of these places. Rather, the usual Cruise lines sailed by the majority of CC members. I am happy to conform to the cultural norms of any dning room (land or sea) in which I find myself. Is it really to much to expect others to do the same? There's no cultural excuse I'm aware of that mandates looking or sounding like a pig at a trough.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I get your point.  Do you have something to contribute to bring it back on topic?  A story maybe?

Earlier (I understand why you might have not seen it) in this thread, I did share we were seated with another family of four that were a lot of fun. Our kids were close in age and all were able to dish out, AND, handle gentle kidding. We became FB friends and enjoy keeping in touch.

Eating with others is ripe to offend our sensibilities. We use all of our senses and it doesn't take much to take us out of our comfort zone.

5 hours ago, K32682 said:

But what about all those other people who are in those toilets who might not wash their hands

without anyone there to reproach them for their gruesomely unsanitary behavior? 

They and their hands will be circulating among us, touching things, shaking hands, touching you, sitting at the same table, passing the salt shaker, relentlessly spreading their nasty germs to everyone. 

Whatever will you do?  

The horror! You should stay home and avoid the worry(?)

12 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I have not experienced any bad behavior myself. 

No nose picking, no burping.  None of that, really.

We once sat next to a nice elderly gentleman man, dressed in a suit .

Problem was, he smelled of urine.

I tell you this because, otherwise,  our cruise was perfect,

and I have no other imperfections to squeal on.😀

Life happens.

Edited by $hip$hape