Ever have awful Table mates?

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I stand corrected on Hawley - I could have sworn he was the first.   At my home airport, the Moat Dragon has always been a Smurf.  You couldn't enter the machine until you got past the Dragon...

True. I guess that considers the WTMD or "nude-o-scope" as the only moat. I was thinking of the line up to get to the document checker (another moat?) 

16 hours ago, mkcurran said:

My solution to the problem is that my husband and I wear matching shirts that say: Sarcasm is the officially spoken language of my people

The table mates laugh or they change tables, either way no problems. 🙂

Does this make you an Awful table mate?

So our table mates always came late at least 20min. So we started ordering our meals when we sat down than we heard about her 500 cows I feel like she said something about her cows ever 5 min. Than the friend “taught the waiter  to make tea his way” he made a big deal of it. When it came time to order dessert she would look at me and say “I don’t think we need dessert do we”. So yes I did order one. As a whole we have had great dinner mates but the couple that were bad were bad. On guy kept letting us know he did not need *****  another had nothing good to say about cruising the next day they missed the ship. We watched them run. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Darstime said:

So our table mates always came late at least 20min. So we started ordering our meals when we sat down than we heard about her 500 cows I feel like she said something about her cows ever 5 min. Than the friend “taught the waiter  to make tea his way” he made a big deal of it. When it came time to order dessert she would look at me and say “I don’t think we need dessert do we”. So yes I did order one. As a whole we have had great dinner mates but the couple that were bad were bad. On guy kept letting us know he did not need *****  another had nothing good to say about cruising the next day they missed the ship. We watched them run. 

I belong to a restaurant dining out club where the food is usually good but no one ever orders dessert.  I'm like ???.

4 hours ago, zitsky said:

I belong to a restaurant dining out club where the food is usually good but no one ever orders dessert.  I'm like ???.

I had to pass up strawberry shortcake today.   As much as I wanted it, I knew I wouldn't enjoy it because I simply ate too much during the meal.  I think it was the mashed potatoes that did me in.   <Sigh> ☹️

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cruisingirl2012 said:

Once we had a couple sit at our table of 8 and on the first night said "we are not suppose to be sitting with a group of people, this is not what i requested".  By the end of the week, they were thankful they sat with all of us 🙂

LOL....It took the whole week?? 😁🤔😊🤣

4 hours ago, Cruisingirl2012 said:

Once we had a couple sit at our table of 8 and on the first night said "we are not suppose to be sitting with a group of people, this is not what i requested".  By the end of the week, they were thankful they sat with all of us 🙂

We once sat with a couple (sister-in-law and a friend that said cruises were boring).

Yes. By the end of the cruise, he said he'd like to do this again.😶

• Like 1

I like to eat dinner with just my DH. I will have a drink with someone, share a breakfast or lunch table, chat you up at trivia or poolside but dinner is always just us. The reason is pretty simple, we like to relax. Dinner is too long to struggle with small talk if the conversation drags. I like to order two desserts and many times we will have between the two of us a sample of almost everything if it suits us...it is actually a riot as the waiters tend to without asking bring their favorites. We both work hard for our time away and to be in a situation of no escape for a length of time is just not fun.

One of our first cruises on formal night we agreed to share a table, it was a disaster for us...average age was easily 30 years our senior, all retired, all wanting to one up each other on any given topic, lots of dietary restrictions which led to unhappiness for us as we felt obligated not to order extra this or that as they were waiting for their next course....sigh I still think longingly about the second lobster tail I passed on 🙂

never again if we can avoid it. Lunch or breakfast are fine quick easy in and out and we might meet some nice folks but dinner is a no go. I always tell them at the stand night one we don’t like other people it usually gets a laugh and after a couple of nights asking to share they get the hint!

1 hour ago, tobyt said:

I like to eat dinner with just my DH. I will have a drink with someone, share a breakfast or lunch table, chat you up at trivia or poolside but dinner is always just us. The reason is pretty simple, we like to relax. Dinner is too long to struggle with small talk if the conversation drags. I like to order two desserts and many times we will have between the two of us a sample of almost everything if it suits us...it is actually a riot as the waiters tend to without asking bring their favorites. We both work hard for our time away and to be in a situation of no escape for a length of time is just not fun.

One of our first cruises on formal night we agreed to share a table, it was a disaster for us...average age was easily 30 years our senior, all retired, all wanting to one up each other on any given topic, lots of dietary restrictions which led to unhappiness for us as we felt obligated not to order extra this or that as they were waiting for their next course....sigh I still think longingly about the second lobster tail I passed on 🙂

never again if we can avoid it. Lunch or breakfast are fine quick easy in and out and we might meet some nice folks but dinner is a no go. I always tell them at the stand night one we don’t like other people it usually gets a laugh and after a couple of nights asking to share they get the hint!

Maybe the answer is to share a table with people your own age?

22 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Easier said than done. If it's any time dining often a shared table is a result of not wanting to wait for a two top, to expedite seating.   You have no idea who will be seated with you until the host(ess) is taking you to the table. Do you ditch the group you get assigned to? Or do you tell the maitre d you want people your own age and then wait until an acceptable group is assembled?               

39 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

Easier said than done. If it's any time dining often a shared table is a result of not wanting to wait for a two top, to expedite seating.   You have no idea who will be seated with you until the host(ess) is taking you to the table. Do you ditch the group you get assigned to? Or do you tell the maitre d you want people your own age and then wait until an acceptable group is assembled?               

The OP should do the last one if it makes them more comfortable.  Or just do a 2 top which is their preference.

3 hours ago, CPT Trips said:

Easier said than done.

If it's "any time dining", often a shared table is a result of

not wanting to wait for a two top, to expedite seating.  

You have no idea who will be seated with you until the host(ess) is taking you to the table.

Do you ditch the group you get assigned to?

Or do you tell the maitre d/ head waiter,  you want people your own age and then wait

until an acceptable group is assembled?               

For the OP , we have never had an awful table mate.

Some are just more interesting than others.

Me thinks,

if others agreed with us at every turn,

it would be a rather boring evening..😉

Edited by $hip$hape
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, zitsky said:

You can't really choose that when offered to share a table.  You're generally led to the first available table, which could have whoever, although the host probably won't seat a single person or a couple at a table with a fussy small child.  And vetoing the table you're led to is rude to the people sitting there.  Unless they really set off a bad spidey sense.

The only place where you have some choice is assigned dining.  I know Carnival generally groups tablemates by marital status and age.  That is, families usually get seated together, newlywed couples usually get seated together, etc.  Solos are often seated with solo-friendly demographics, like older couples or groups of friends.  On lines that use randomized seating, you can e-mail the maitre d' or see him on embarkation day, and ask to be seated with people similar to you.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01