Ever have awful Table mates?

5 hours ago, crazyank said:

What you need to learn is not latin.   What you need to learn is "mind your own business"

He has every right to speak up.  They have every right to ignore him.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

He has every right to speak up.  They have every right to ignore him.

With rights come responsibilities and repercussions.  Pesky people in public toilets rebuking other patrons for failing their prescribed standard of hand hygiene may learn that the hard way. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, K32682 said:

With rights come responsibilities and repercussions.  Pesky people in public toilets rebuking other patrons for failing their prescribed standard of hand hygiene may learn that the hard way. 

Do you talk this way on the ship?

"Don't cut in line in the buffet or you may learn the hard way."

"Don't give me the wrong wine or you may learn the hard way."

"Don't push that elevator button or you may learn the hard way."

Edited by zitsky

On 7/16/2019 at 11:37 PM, MicCanberra said:

That and seen too many people use a bathroom (stalls and cubicles) and walking straight out.☠️

That's why it's important to have a good immune system. We all hold hand  rails, push buttons and sit in chairs.

8 minutes ago, JMorris271 said:

That's why it's important to have a good immune system. We all hold hand  rails, push buttons and sit in chairs.

I worry about super bugs that put you in the hospital.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 7:10 PM, Harley52 said:

You are quite welcome, I find the most courteous, honest and sincere fellow cruisers are from Great Britain, Australia and New Zealand.  Extremely polite.

That's luck of the draw.

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I think the hospitals are where people pick up the super bugs...  

I don't worry about other people's sanitary habits out in public.  Only at work - since we share computers and phones, we all are aware when someone is sick - we have a supply of wipes at the Front Desk to wipe off our equipment.   But, that doesn't always help.  We've got some kind of stomach bug going around now and we've all had it over the past 2 weeks.  Do what you can and don't worry.  

11 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I think the hospitals are where people pick up the super bugs...  

I don't worry about other people's sanitary habits out in public.  Only at work - since we share computers and phones, we all are aware when someone is sick - we have a supply of wipes at the Front Desk to wipe off our equipment.   But, that doesn't always help.  We've got some kind of stomach bug going around now and we've all had it over the past 2 weeks.  Do what you can and don't worry.  

Hospitals are not the only place you can get sick.  That's why public hygiene is so important.  You gave the example of illness spreading in an office.  How do you think it works on a cruise ship?

Yes I think you absolutely should worry.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

We practice good hygiene ourselves, so we do not worry about anyone else's hygiene, but that doesn't mean we don't see it and shake our heads in disgust or wonderment.

10 hours ago, zitsky said:

Worry and anxiety (about Super Bugs) are more likely to put you in the hospital (or underground) then a super bug.

Hank

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Worry and anxiety (about Super Bugs) are more likely to put you in the hospital (or underground) then a super bug.

Hank

All I'll say is... better to be safe than sorry, Hank.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

All I'll say is... better to be safe than sorry, Hank.

There is a difference between practicing reasonable precautions and "worrying."  Anxiety is a major problem in our country while super bugs are a relatively minor problem (but very serious for victims) mostly relegated to those who must stay in a hospital.  As very avid cruisers (for several decades), DW and I both take reasonable precautions against any "bug" by simply washing our hands (often) with soap and water , making use of a very interesting hand sanitizer sold by NoZoo, and doing our best to avoid being around folks who are doing a lot of  coughing and sneezing.  Perhaps that is why neither of us has contracted Noro or other GI bugs in far more then 1000 days of cruising (knock on wood) although we have both caught our share of common colds and some "cabin cough" stuff.  Perhaps I am ignorant, but have never heard of a single super bug case on a cruise ship.   Perhaps there have been some MRSA cases arising from spa usage, but we have never seen a post about an occurrence.  I will admit to having some pre-travel anxiety about catching something BEFORE our travel that might interfere with our travel plans.  But once we are in "travel mode" it is not an issue of concern.

What we do know (as a fact) is that Norovirus is a risk on ships (and on land) as is any virus (such as flu) that is brought aboard by passengers or crew.  There is always an increased risk when you are in crowded environments (just ask any school teacher or student) but that is a risk we all take by simply living and traveling.   We do have some friends who are true "germaphobes" and it has really caused them a lot of grief.  They are now at the point that they wear surgical masks when traveling, use all kinds of sanitizers, and also are among the most sickly folks we know...who manage to catch just about everything when they travel.  

But having written all this stuff (which often becomes a topic on CC) we do not understand what it has to do with this thread about "table mates."   But I will confess that we would prefer not to share a table with folks who are sick....but it is not something that normally invades our thoughts.

Hank

On our last cruise we  brought wipes with hydrogen peroxide and wiped down everything in the cabin as soon as we arrived.  They are recommended for noro as they actually kill the virus.   

Are you at greater risk of catching an unwanted virus at a shared table greater than at a two-top?  You are after all sitting with complete strangers for a couple of hours and Lord knows what types of bugs and infections they might have.   

Is wearing surgical gloves an option while dining? Should you demand to know beforehand if the person who is passing you the salt shaker washed their hands after their last pee?  Is wearing surgical gloves while dining the solution?  Are mandatory hand swabs and throat cultures too much to ask? Can't be too careful now can we? 

Politics and prayer be irritating but is the definition of the truly awful table mate the one that infects you due to their complete and wanton disregard for their personal hygiene? Should they be berated for their absolute lack of compassion toward the rampant germaphobes who may be sharing the table?  

Edited by K32682

18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

.  Do what you can and don't worry.  

And, what you can do is very significant.  Much, if not most, sickness is self-caused.  Your skin is a great barrier - it is what you bring into your body by putting your hands near openings: eyes, nose and mouth, that is the problem. By washing your hands well, avoiding contaminated surfaces as much as possible, and keeping your hands away from your face , you will be doing what you can.

• Like 2