Ever have awful Table mates?

Husband and I love to meet other people when cruising, so we generally like to sit with others. Twice we have had AWFUL table mates. One experience we had with a couple who were about 3 martinis in by the time the main course came and did nothing but bicker at each other. We moved tables the rest of the week.

The second couple on another cruise were such racists that my husband almost punched him in the mouth right in the dining room. We got up and left during our main course and my husband said "I guess you must have forgotten to pack your white sheet" as we left. The fact that he felt so comfortable talking that way with complete strangers really boggled our minds.  Of course we changed tables for the remainder of the the cruise then too.

So now we are a little gun shy about requesting a large table again. I guess a table for two is in order this time.

• Like 5

They weren’t our table mates...they were seated at the table next to ours but they might as well had been our table mates...but they were awful. They would not shut up. Ever. It’s like they thought if there was a moment of silence somebody would die. 

They were like a parasite that attaches themselves to us and wouldn’t leave us alone. We always request a table for 2 so my wife and I can just talk to one another. With these two we couldn’t get a word in edgewise. To ourselves or them! 

I should of asked to have been moved. I won’t make that mistake again. 

• Like 1

We were traveling with a couple we were good friends with and who we have cruised with several times before when we got seated at a table with two other couples who were friends. Before we could order anything, the other four requested that we not order any alcohol with our dinner as their religion forbade them from consuming alcohol of any kind and did not want it on their table. We were shocked at their rude attempt to dictate what we could or could not order with our dinner. Of course, after careful consideration on our part, we increased our consumption by ordering two bottles of wine instead of the usual one. And we proceeded to thoroughly enjoy our wine with our dinners. We enjoyed dinner even more the next night when they apparently asked to be moved to another table, probably to get away from the blasphemous heathens they were stuck with the night before.

If they could not deal with people ordering drinks at their table, they should have had the common sense to request a table for four and saved everyone the discomfort of their wholly inappropriate requests. 

Edited by SantaFeFan
  • Like 28
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, SantaFeFan said:

We were traveling with a couple we were good friends with and who we have cruised with several times before when we got seated at a table with two other couples who were friends. Before we could order anything, the other four requested that we not order any alcohol with our dinner as their religion forbade them from consuming alcohol of any kind and did not want it on their table. We were shocked at their rude attempt to dictate what we could or could not order with our dinner. Of course, after careful consideration on our part, we increased our consumption by ordering two bottles of wine instead of the usual one. And we proceeded to thoroughly enjoy our wine with our dinners. We enjoyed dinner even more the next night when they apparently asked to be moved to another table, probably to get away from the blasphemous heathens they were stuck with the night before.

If they could not deal with people ordering drinks at their table, they should have had the common sense to request a table for four and saved everyone the discomfort of their wholly inappropriate requests. 

Some people are so unbelievable. Pushing their beliefs on others. Good thing I never came across someone like that. They would have requested a different table right them and there. Glad you enjoyed your extra wine with dinner. 🥂

• Like 3

I travel solo.  So, the first time I did a cruise, I was seated at a table with others.  I HATED it!  Right from the get-go, when they all found out I was traveling solo, it was "you are so brave", "did your husband die", "you couldn't find anyone to come with you", "why do travel alone", etc.   After that, I decided that I'd only share a table with myself.   I've loved it ever since!

• Like 9

We have had issues twice in all the years of cruising.  The first one was when my husband and I were at a table for 6.  The first night the 2 other couples decided to tell us that they were married to each  other, got divorced and married the others partner.  They then started to tell us way too much stuff!!!  Got our table changed after that.

The second time we had our young son with us.  We were at a large table that had other couples.  Two of the couples starting being really loud and rude to my son.  I got up went to the head waiter and said move us now or I will deck the guy.  Problem solved.

After that we have not had issues because we now get a table for 2 or 3 if our son is with us.  If we cruise with friends we get a table for just our group.

When we eat in the dining room (MTD) we sit at a table for two...however at times when the tables have been uncomfortably close it sometimes doesn't stop someone sitting that close to assume themselves into our conversation.........really....rude !!!

• Thanks 1

Back in the day when we used to opt for traditional dining, we had a lot of really great table-mates (some of whom we've remained friends with -- and even cruised with again). However, there's always that one time: On a cruise to Hawaii, my DH and I were seated at a table for 8. First night, one couple did not show up -- so, it was us and two other couples -- none of whom knew each other, prior to sitting down to dinner. Well the other two couples hit it off right away, and immediately started talking politics. Our subtle attempts to steer the conversation in a different direction (eg: cruising) were to no avail. So, we politely excused ourselves before dessert -- and went off to see the maitre'd, who got us a lovely 2-top, for the rest of the cruise. Funny thing -- this was a long cruise, on a relatively small ship (Celebrity Century). Every time our paths crossed with either of those two couples, they would GLARE at us -- like we were deserters, who deserved to be shot! 😱

• Like 1

We always choose a large table in MDR, with set-time dining, as we love the interaction with other folks. Almost always we have got on extremely well with everyone we meet. Only once, two cruises ago, have we encountered unpleasant table mates.  (As it transpired they actually live not 5 miles from where we do).

As a former ambulance paramedic, with many years service under her belt DW has learnt to eat very quickly, as on duty it was highly likely that meal breaks would be interrupted and cut short due to the next emergency call.

After all these years, she is conditioned to it. She doesn't gobble it down, still eats decourously, just is always the first to finish.

This (near neighbour) lady quickly noticed this and took to whispering to her friend seated next to her ("look, l told you...she's finished first again....")

Unfortunately, DW is also blessed with exceptionally sharp hearing, and caught every word. After the third or fourth overheard whisper DW told her to remember that if she ever needed an ambulance, the crew members may have had to abandon a meal to attend to them.

The lady had the good grace to look embarrassed, and then said brightly "l think we will eat in the buffet from now on, so much more choice there".

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

We prefer Freestyle, Anytime, Select or My Time dining but occasionally have cruised on lines where this is not an option. We have been lucky in regard to table mates but have had some strange ones now and then. Like one lady who would check her blood for sugar levels at the table and then proceed to inject herself also at the table with her top half off showing more flesh than anyone but a husband/lover should need to see.

We've never had TERRIBLE tablemates.  We have had some who are more "outgoing" than others...but none that would cause me to change tables.  Lucky, or just easy to get along with?  We look forward to dinner BECAUSE of tablemates.

• Like 3

We very much enjoy meeting new people at the main restaurants. Only once did we ask for a table change: two couples didn't show up, one from Quebec only spoke French, and the other couple was the worst. The wife was very crabby and the husband was silent.  I wasn't going to endure this for a three week transpacific!  The staff completely understood and moved us to a delightful table.

We are veteran cruisers with many cruises under our belts.  When we first started cruising over twenty years ago, you had no choice but to sit at a shared table.  While we have had many interesting tablemates, we have also had some real beauties.  Once at a table for seven, there was a gentleman and his two sisters.  They were appalled that we had the audacity to bring our high school aged daughter and her friend, both of whom were impeccably dressed, exhibited excellent table manners, and were quiet and reserved.  He refused to talk with us and ignored us.  Then there was the time we were at a table with two sisters who were always inebriated and kept guzzling down the wine.  They constantly reminded us that they were "only sisters" and that they did not have do pay for the cruise as it was on their husbands' business expense account which would  be taken as a tax deduction since they were scouting out a hotel in Aruba for a future business conference.  They also belittled us because we were not "elite" and could not go to the special lounge for breakfast.  And oh yes, they could not believe that we had an inside cabin and not a balcony.

Since then we have opted for a table for two or a table for four if with family.

Edited by tip
  • Like 1

When we first began cruising, we  requested large table, late sitting. As a result we always had delightful table mates - in fact, one couple we met back in the early 80's recently cruised with us to Bermuda....long-term friendship!

However, the law of averages finally caught up with us. First, on a Costa cruise, two very drunken men came to our table and spent the entire meal making very inappropriate comments to everyone....too vile to put into print here. I went to the maitre d'  and request a table change for ourselves and two other couples. He refused to make a change, so I went higher up and the following day had a meeting with a ship's officer who noted he had received complaints about the two in question. Day three, the obnoxious two-some were removed from the ship. Oh, yes, we got our own table, minus the 2 drunks.

On a European cruise, we were seated with a family who  spoke Spanish. DH only spoke HS and college French, me too. However, Mom was fluent in Spanish and immediately picked up on the children's and parent's derogatory comments about her and us. I could pick up some of the comments, but took my cue from mom to be silent. When dessert rolled around, mom turned toward the parents, with a big smile,  and said something that made them all leave the table. I never knew what she said, but the family avoided us the entire 2 weeks. 

So, now we either do the buffet, specialty dining or table for two.

Darcy

• Like 1

"Ever had awful table-mates"

No, never.

Perhaps because I'm the life & soul of the table.

My table-mates are always interested in the insurance company that I represent (so much better than the others and so competitively-priced). But I remind them that they should bear with those who are less successful than me, because the Bible teaches us compassion. Not that our politicians know much about compassion because they're too consumed with the demon drink.

On all the cruises that I've done (I've done over 500) I love to regale my table-mates with stories about my life and my wonderful family - especially my youngest son who is following in his brother's footsteps by attending the country's best medical university. All of which is a great comfort to me because of my bladder and bowel problems. My oldest son, who is now a very highly regarded surgeon and the head of his department after only three years, kindly took photos of my latest operation and my table-mates love to pass them around the table. 

The first dinner of a cruise is always the best.

But my table-mates don't seem to like the food in the MDR, they spend the rest of the cruise dining in the buffet.

Such a shame, because I have so many jokes that I can tell them. 

JB :classic_wink: 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 35

We have had lousy tablemates 2 or 3 times in over forty years of extensive cruising.  But since we now opt for open, select, or whatever you want to call it...a bad table will only be a single meal event.   Our norm is to show-up to dine when we please and tell the Maitre'd that we prefer to share a large table.  Not only does this mean we get to meet a lot of different cruisers (especially on longer cruises) but there is another benefit.  On many cruises we will find others who are delightful tablemates and often will form our own tables after the first few days.  Many times we prefer to alternate our dining companions among others who apparently have similar feelings, and it adds to the fun and interesting conversations.  If we happen to get a terrific waiter we will also routinely request that particular waiter.  I guess somebody might all this "freedom to choose."

Hank

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, John Bull said:

No, never.

My table-mates are always interested in the insurance company that I represent (so much better than the others and so competitively-priced). But I remind them that they should bear with those who are less successful than me, because the Bible teaches us compassion. Not that our politicians know much about compassion because they're too consumed with the demon drink.

On all the cruises that I've done (I've done over 500) I love to regale my table-mates with stories about my life and my wonderful family - especially my youngest son who is following in his brother's footsteps by attending the country's best medical university. All of which is a great comfort to me because of my bladder and bowel problems. My oldest son, who is now a very highly regarded surgeon and the head of his department after only three years, kindly took photos of my latest operation and my table-mates love to pass them around the table. 

But my table-mates don't seem to like the food in the MDR, they spend the rest of the cruise dining in the buffet.

JB, 

The next time we meet, Kathy and I look forward to hearing all about your fascinating "bladder and bowel problems."   

Hank

P.S.  Thanks for starting my day with a great laugh

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Never had what I would consider bad tablemates but did share a large table once with 4 other couples, one of whom had to "one-up" everyone else on a regular basis.  Was quite annoying, but could have been worse after reading some of these replies.

Forced group dining was a major contributing factor to my 14 year hiatus from cruising.  It always seemed at each table there was one person who appointed themselves social convener who felt it was their mission to keep the conversation going and make sure everyone was included by asking questions on a subject of his/her choosing.  

One of my two most memorable table mates was WWII vet on a cruise in the early 90's who on the first night told us in great detail about his experiences as a combat engineer in Europe. It was fascinating the first night but became tedious when he dominated the table conservation telling the exact same story night after night for the duration of the cruise.   

The second was a woman who gave us the third degree about a very expensive bottle of wine my wife and I had ordered.  It was a transparent and clumsy attempt to convince us to share with the table which we resisted. It did however cut into our enjoyment of a fine bottle of wine. 

Our return to cruising came only after the discovery that the the lines were abandoning the "tradition" of forcing complete strangers to have dinner with each other.   

Hi

I too, have never had "terrible" tablemates. Some were just not as much fun as others. 

Certainly if someone or a group is/are obnoxious the right thing to do is ask to move. There is no requirement to stay in an environment where you aren't comfortable. There are always going to be a few in the bunch.

Don't forget, there is no need to take people you meet in this sort of setting too seriously. I definitely am not thinned skinned. I will let a lot go, but if you can't laugh with them, you can always laugh at them and just walk away.  

For Slidergirl, I am sorry you have had such bad experiences. I have been travelling alone as well for the last few years, and I really do enjoy it when I meet someone who I get along with can share a few experiences. I doubt I will ever give up on meeting new people. The rewards are far greater than the risks. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, SantaFeFan said:

We had table mates do  similar to us. They did not request we not drink but made it clear they did NOT. We are not big drinkers, although sometimes we do like wine with dinner but we decided we wouldn't; save our drinks for the shows after dinner or a lounge visit.   We assumed maybe one of them was  an alcoholic since the  men would always leave mid dinner to smoke, we  figured it was not religious reasons. Anyway as the daughter of an alcoholic I felt our abstaining was  a kindness on our part.

This was on one of  the RCI whopper ships that had the skating rink. One night during the week you get tickets to a show there. Well the night of the show we saw them several rows behind us,  waved politely and ordered our drinks as usual. The next night  (last night of cruise)they said accusingly that they saw us drinking. Lol!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, John Bull said:

No, never.

Appropriate user name....lol

• Like 1