Is Super Mario still around?

He was on Navigator this week. He was annoyed that there we no Pinnacles on the sailing aside from him. Have seen him a few times in various DL/CL/SL. Seemed like his normal, if not a bit unsatisfied, self 🙂

On 6/18/2019 at 2:18 PM, parrotfeathers said:

I was on Explorer and he was featured by the captain at night in one of the large bar/dance areas.  Captain called him up and gave him some wine or champagne to formally recognize him and he gave a speech.  I wonder if that is done every week on every ship?

Same thing on our cruises also.

On 6/18/2019 at 10:31 PM, belmontcrew said:

Also, his Cabana has plexiglass on 3 sides to keep the wind out. 

Does he want to keep the wind out just so he can smoke?

8 hours ago, grneyes said:

Why does anyone care???

Bingo.

It's his life...and if he's satisfied with how he lives it...that's all that matters. There are plenty of times he has been interviewed where he is quite pleased essentially living on a series of cruise ships. His choice...his life.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a bit confused here. I have taken 6 RCI cruises with 1 booked and another planned just not booked. I never heard of this guy till this very thread. What's the kinda quick full story? Is he not the nicest guy or at least that's what I'm kinda getting the vibe here?

He just cruises 50 weeks a year. Tries to stay on same ship for at least a season. Likes Voyager ships. Tends to sail out of South Florida most of the time

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, JAMESCC said:
16 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Thanks for the link, very interesting. Books inside cabins, yikes! 350 days a year in an inside cabin is almost torture.

He likely spends little time in his cabin...so it probably doesn't matter...and saves him a fortune over a year's time of cruising.

Since he's online a minimum of 5-6 hours a day anyway for his business work...sitting pool side, in the Solarium areas, or other viewing places onboard is hardly torture.

14 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

He likely spends little time in his cabin...so it probably doesn't matter...and saves him a fortune over a year's time of cruising.

Since he's online a minimum of 5-6 hours a day anyway for his business work...sitting pool side, in the Solarium areas, or other viewing places onboard is hardly torture.

I happen to agree. If was me, I would do the same. Sleep peacefully in a dark, cool, cabin... and enjoy the fresh air by day...50+ weeks a year. This would be the farthest thing from torture to me. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

He keeps his car at the port. Parking is around 5 grand a year. 

12 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

If the lid is up on his laptop, hes working.  

Move along. 😉

Excellent point.  He's not on a 50 week a year vacation or retired.  He chooses to live/work on a ship.  Some of the reported disinterest in talking to people may just be that he's being interrupted while working.  I know...he put himself in this position.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:

No way would I want such a sad life! 🙄😱

Some feel the same for incessantly negative posters on cruise forums but it's usually best not to judge unless you've walked in their shoes.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

We had the pleasure to dine with him 2 years ago.  Very personable and friendly at dinner - we had no idea about him.  My husband asked him, "so, do you cruise much?"  The entire table boost into laughter - we were at the captain's table.  Mario then told us his story. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Thorben-Hendrik said:
6 hours ago, Big_G said:

but it's usually best not to judge unless you've walked in their shoes.

On one hand I agree with you on the other hand I saw his videos and interviews and he sure seemsllike a very lonesome, depressed and sad guy! 🙄

I'd have to agree. Most of the interviews I've watched, there always seems to be a touch of sadness in his voice, even as he is saying he's the luckiest guy on earth.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

I'd have to agree. Most of the interviews I've watched, there always seems to be a touch of sadness in his voice, even as he is saying he's the luckiest guy on earth.

Why would you judge a man's life choices by a minuscule superficial moment in a lifetime captured on a video?

Edited by Big_G
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Big_G said:

Why would you judge a man's life choices by a minuscule superficial moment in a lifetime captured on a video?

Because that's all I have to judge him.

Although I did see him join in on the belly-flop contest on Liberty back in 2009. He seemed to be enjoying himself then. But it was such a minuscule, superficial moment....