Wifi calling - Edge Greece- can I use this to connect to YouTube

Jesseslola

Hi will be on Amalfi cruise for 11 days. I read somewhere that I can use this as if I an at home (Canada).

Can somebody please help me with the following.

a. Any extra charges.

b. If I call family in Canada, do I have to pay roaming?

c. Can I use wifi calling to connect to you tube?

d. How is the connection?

Thank you. Any info will be appreciated!

You won’t pay the ship’s charge per telephone call.  But you will need to pay for the ship’s wifi in order to enable calling-over-wifi.  Consult your cell phone carrier.....not all carriers support calling-over-wifi.  Also not all cell phines have this.  Iphones must be iphone 7 or newer, for instance.

your phone will be in airplane mode so you will not be going through the ship’s satellite telephone calling system, which is quite expensive.

11 hours ago, Jesseslola said:

Hi will be on Amalfi cruise for 11 days. I read somewhere that I can use this as if I an at home (Canada).

Can somebody please help me with the following.

a. Any extra charges.

b. If I call family in Canada, do I have to pay roaming?

c. Can I use wifi calling to connect to you tube?

d. How is the connection?

Thank you. Any info will be appreciated!

You don't need to be on a ship to use wifi calling, I suggest that you try it at home to see how it works.  As long as you have a decent wifi signal, it will work great.  You use your phone just like you were at home and there are no roaming charges.  If you weren't charged for calling someone when you were home, you won't be charged with wifi calling.  Any charges will come from your cell phone company, not the ship.  Remember that you will be charged with international calling if you call someone at one of your foreign ports unless you have international calling.

You need to set up WiFi calling on your phone before you leave home.  You can’t wait and try to do it while on the ship WiFi.  You can test it out by enabling it while on your carrier’s network, then go on airplane mode and enable WiFi and make a call to test it out.

our iPhone 6 s’s have WiFi calling enabled, and they work just fine.

1 hour ago, h20skibum said:

You need to set up WiFi calling on your phone before you leave home.  You can’t wait and try to do it while on the ship WiFi.  You can test it out by enabling it while on your carrier’s network, then go on airplane mode and enable WiFi and make a call to test it out.

our iPhone 6 s’s have WiFi calling enabled, and they work just fine.

And for those with iPhones, audio Facetime usually works very well and video Facetime works well most of the time. 

Jesseslola, what carrier do you use for your plan?  Not sure how it works for Canadian carriers so you should check first with them before listening to any of the good advice offered here.  We are from the US and have Verizon.  As a first step the first time we had to activate WiFi calling directly with Verizon.  We have used it globally and it works very well with no additional charges.  But you must have a decent internet signal.  If you have unlimited WiFi on the ship that helps.  Alternatively Verizon offers daily plans in the US (Travel Pass) that allows you to use your own plan's minutes and data over the cellular network on land (not on the ship).  Maybe your carrier has the same option.

Thank you all.

TeaRick, we use Bell in Canada. Did you mean that I would need to buy an unlimited package before it works?

That's what I thought, that wifi calling will only be good on land, not on the ship and you must also get the ship's wifi package in order to communicate from the ship.

Gerelmx, Alakegirl, you just confirmed it.

H20Skibum ,we also have IPhone 6plus and 8s. Did it work for you while you are on the ship?

Set it up while you on land.  Test it out.  Go to a library or McDonalds if you don’t have wifi in your home.  If it works there, then you know you have set it up correctly.

when you get to the ship, pick your internet plan.  If it worked on land, it should work for you there...when we tirn the phones on, it often takes up to two minutes to get the connection established so be aware of that

18 hours ago, Jesseslola said:

Thank you all.

TeaRick, we use Bell in Canada. Did you mean that I would need to buy an unlimited package before it works?

That's what I thought, that wifi calling will only be good on land, not on the ship and you must also get the ship's wifi package in order to communicate from the ship.

Gerelmx, Alakegirl, you just confirmed it.

H20Skibum ,we also have IPhone 6plus and 8s. Did it work for you while you are on the ship?

Jesseslola,

You need a stable WiFi signal, and if you want phone access for calls and texts from home or work all the time on the ship you would need to have an unlimited WiFi package.  But you could go with daily packages or minutes or perhaps you have some free minutes from your Captain's Club level?  Then you could be selective on when you use it.  Perhaps just on Sea days.  In ports you should be able to find free WiFi hotspots.  There are plenty in that part of Europe. Research your ports before you go- or just ask the crew where they go.  I agree with Alakegirl to set it up with Bell at home and use it to make sure you know how before your trip.  When using WiFi calling you set your phone first on Airplane mode to make sure you are off the cellular network so you don't get charged.

The Edge has the best Wi-Fi that I have ever had on a ship. Each stateroom has a router so I was able to get uninterrupted service in every stateroom we had and on the balconies. I also never found an issue getting service anywhere on the ship, though there may be weak areas that I didn't discover.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 5:42 PM, vtcruising said:

The Edge has the best Wi-Fi that I have ever had on a ship. Each stateroom has a router so I was able to get uninterrupted service in every stateroom we had and on the balconies. I also never found an issue getting service anywhere on the ship, though there may be weak areas that I didn't discover.

Usually, we received great WI-FI crossing the Atlantic on her, except a few times due to high seas or other weather related issues.  Leaving Bermuda there was a small issue, but it cleared up quickly...must have been triangle related...hahaha!

Edited by Lastdance
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Lastdance said:

Usually, we received great WI-FI crossing the Atlantic on her, except a few times due to high seas or other weather related issues.  Leaving Bermuda there was a small issue, but it cleared up quickly...must have been triangle related...hahaha!

Yes, I was on a ship that went dead in the water in the Bermuda Triangle one night...Very spooky...🙂

Good to hear that Wi-Fi was good on the Edge TA. I really got spoiled on the Edge Wi-Fi. When I was on the Infinity a few weeks later, I found myself pulling a chair up to the cabin door to get service and it would cut out constantly. I wonder if they put routers in the cabins or at least improved the Wi-Fi during the Revolution.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Yes, I was on a ship that went dead in the water in the Bermuda Triangle one night...Very spooky...🙂

Good to hear that Wi-Fi was good on the Edge TA. I really got spoiled on the Edge Wi-Fi. When I was on the Infinity a few weeks later, I found myself pulling a chair up to the cabin door to get service and it would cut out constantly. I wonder if they put routers in the cabins or at least improved the Wi-Fi during the Revolution.

Good question about the routers...

On 6/26/2019 at 7:18 PM, Jesseslola said:

One of our friends said that you pay 12.00 per day,max 15 days and you can use your wifi calling to call anywhere without paying the ships charges.

You can do it for free using your Wifi using products like WhatsApp. 

I have T-Mobile and it has Phone over Wifi.   I simply put phone into Airplane Mode and turn on Wifi (and connect).   A T-Mobile icon shows up on my Iphone.