Azamara changes our Itinerary- Black Sea Cruise

Azamarajunkie

21 hours ago, Riocca said:

Reading these threads it always sounds like Azamara are the only cruise line to make itinerary changes or cancel cruises because of charters. Yes we’ve had both happen to us with Azamara and the offer of compensation if we were unhappy has always been equitable. But we have had the same happen with Crystal, P&O (U.K), Celebrity, Princess, Thomson (now Marella) and Viking, no offers just take it or leave it and if you want to cancel we would lose our deposit. Thomson and Viking couldn’t even be bothered to advise of itinerary changes, it’s a cruise industry problem if you book early a lot of things can change between booking and departure. 

Celebrity and Holland American seem to do this.  Holland American likes to book “conventions” and one may find oneself as a minority with the cruise dominated by individuals who are on a convention.  

I feel for those of you that have undesirable itinerary changes on Azamara, but clearly they are not the only cruise line that makes these changes. Consider yourselves lucky when the changes are made long before the scheduled departure date. You can make changes that you desire. On the other hand, last minute changes are a different matter. In the last 5 years or so we've had last minute changes as late as 2 days before departure (twice cruises scheduled to stop in Israel were changed to just go to the Greek Islands) and once in the middle of a cruise 1/1/2 days before scheduled landing in Alexandria, Egypt, the ship was diverted. Once was NCL and 2x were on Celebrity. All without compensation. In either situation, we were unable to make any decisions other  than to "grin and bare it". Cruise lines maintain the right to change itineraries for any reason, often for safety reasons , although the latter will vary from line to line. As previously mentioned, at least for changes reasonably made before departure date, insurance with cancellation for any reason is a the solution, all be it costly. It's not just Azamara.

Edited by dabear
  • Like 1

Having just been through an itinerary change myself (related to the change in Cuba policy), I feel for those who are experiencing the same. But what exactly do you expect the communication from Azamara to say?

"We have changed your itinerary for the worse, and we hope you're okay with that. You'll now be visiting several mundane ports because we want to jerk you around. Happy sailing!" 🙄

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, dabear said:

I feel for those of you that have undesirable itinerary changes on Azamara, but clearly they are not the only cruise line that makes these changes. Consider yourselves lucky when the changes are made long before the scheduled departure date. You can make changes that you desire. On the other hand, last minute changes are a different matter. In the last 5 years or so we've had last minute changes as late as 2 days before departure (twice cruises scheduled to stop in Israel were changed to just go to the Greek Islands) and once in the middle of a cruise 1/1/2 days before scheduled landing in Alexandria, Egypt, the ship was diverted. Once was NCL and 2x were on Celebrity. All without compensation. In either situation, we were unable to make any decisions other  than to "grin and bare it". Cruise lines maintain the right to change itineraries for any reason, often for safety reasons , although the latter will vary from line to line. As previously mentioned, at least for changes reasonably made before departure date, insurance with cancellation for any reason is a the solution, all be it costly.

Just because it's legal doesn't make it OK.

Many cruisers are drifting toward Azamara (and similar) because they go to lesser-visited ports. 

Had OP wanted more time in Istanbul/Athens, OP has myriad choices from a dozen lines that offer just that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

Having just been through an itinerary change myself (related to the change in Cuba policy), I feel for those who are experiencing the same. But what exactly do you expect the communication from Azamara to say?

"We have changed your itinerary for the worse, and we hope you're okay with that. You'll now be visiting several mundane ports because we want to jerk you around. Happy sailing!" 🙄

No, but they don't need to relieve themselves on you and try to convince you that it's raining.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Riocca said:

Reading these threads it always sounds like Azamara are the only cruise line to make itinerary changes or cancel cruises because of charters. Yes we’ve had both happen to us with Azamara and the offer of compensation if we were unhappy has always been equitable. But we have had the same happen with Crystal, P&O (U.K), Celebrity, Princess, Thomson (now Marella) and Viking, no offers just take it or leave it and if you want to cancel we would lose our deposit. Thomson and Viking couldn’t even be bothered to advise of itinerary changes, it’s a cruise industry problem if you book early a lot of things can change between booking and departure. 

A year ago May, we received an email regarding an itinerary change on an upcoming (December) Viking cruise - so I'm surprised Viking didn't communicate with you. In our case, the change was due to a US State Dept. security warning - and we welcomed it. The email didn't directly offer refunds, but rather referred us to a phone number to call.

• 1 month later...

Well, Boo Hoo!  Itinerary changes for security and operational reasons are necessary.  Your cruise contract includes legaleez explaining that.  I have no sympathy for those who constantly complain about these things.  Life is not always fair.  As an experienced cruiser you should be well aware of these facts.  Go with the flow and enjoy the new ports - see things you haven't.  

Edited by Globehoppers
  • Thanks 1

Certainly we should come to expect that cruise lines have to change schedules and ports visited due to a number of factors such as the political landscape, weather, and other acts of god.

However, there is no excuse for a cruise line to book passengers and then cancel them because they had decided to charter the ship. There is no excuse to book passengers, and then decide to schedule a dry-dock and have to cancel them.

And if this does occur, if the cruise line has decided to inconvenience passengers, many of which have placed deposits which are non-refundable, they should at least be generous in their compensation.

I wish this was the case with Azamara. In the past it hasn't

Like someone said you have to just take these things on the chin.

We booked a year ago for Az Quest from Singapore in Nov this year. Many months ago I noticed

they had removed a port, Porbandar, with no replacement just an extra sea day.

As drinks are included I'll do a pub crawl round the bars that day and drink the ship dry at Azamara's expense  lol!

On 6/29/2019 at 5:46 AM, oddjob16 said:

I would expect an offer of a full refund. It must be terrible to be treated like a fool. «This is good news». NOT.  It is a significant change and very seldom is that good news. Overnight in Istanbul, - please spare me. The turmoils in Istanbul is not over. As long as Turkey is arresting journalists and radical politicians without court orders it is to be considered a dictatorship. Do not go there. 

Steve, I would cancel.

I have booked on that cruise and am considering cancelling.  However, even if I did want to visit Istanbul, we do not have an overnight  there.  We have a stop there at the beginning of the cruise and a stop again later in the cruise.  That is significantly different than an overnight and they don't bother to mention this in the  letter that the OP posted.

DON

On 6/29/2019 at 2:16 PM, Riocca said:

Seems to be happening with increasing frequency and for reasons that the Cruise Line with some proper planning could have avoided.  In addition, it seems that Azamara is quite the scrooge in regards to their compensation. 

In addition, one is encourage to book way early, if they want to get a choice cabin and additional benefits.

Finally, tell  the passenger who has to completely change their travel plans, that other cruise lines do it also.  See if it helps with getting back their deposit on air reservations etc. 

On 8/5/2019 at 9:31 AM, stevenr597 said:

Certainly we should come to expect that cruise lines have to change schedules and ports visited due to a number of factors such as the political landscape, weather, and other acts of god.

However, there is no excuse for a cruise line to book passengers and then cancel them because they had decided to charter the ship. There is no excuse to book passengers, and then decide to schedule a dry-dock and have to cancel them.

And if this does occur, if the cruise line has decided to inconvenience passengers, many of which have placed deposits which are non-refundable, they should at least be generous in their compensation.

I wish this was the case with Azamara. In the past it hasn't

Of course there is.  Its called capitalism with its by product of greed.  Think big profits $$$!

The real scary thing is when a ship is chartered by a group some passengers disagree with...like a naturalist group, which are popular in Europe.  The ranting and raving by selected passengers scheduled for subsequent cruises is hilarious.  Cooties, even.

Edited by Globehoppers

Cruise ship passengers need to realize that itineraries and port scheduling are planned some 2-plus years out.  Discussed this with an Azamara Captain/Master several years ago:

Headquarters sends the ship a proposed port schedule well over two years out and asks the Master to do detailed planning, which he does in conjunction with the senior staff.  The ability to safely navigate between ports, berth suitability, and port/country security are all considered.  The Master returns the proposed track/schedule to headquarters for approval and they port concurrence.  Once approved, more planning and track decisions follow to refine the schedule.  Weather, local turmoil, infrastructure challenges, etc all impact the schedule/port following release of the public itinerary.  Azamara does not change ports/schedules just to inconvenience its guests...

• Like 3

Yes - following the late changes in May the Captain and the Q and A explained that after they signed off tidal information etc they also had to confirm an earlier and later timing option and it was marketing who determined the actual itinerary based on the appeal of timings and events happening/land discoveries options.  He had no explanation for the rationale for a 12 hour change in our schedule as the tides were the same, but we lost an evening in a port and then crawled with a sea day to the next one