Suite Question

We’re in a Grand Suite on the Ovation in November for a short cruise. We usually sail in a Royal Suite on Celebrity and have been given equivalent Diamond status on Royal. As it’s our first suite experience on Royal, we’re trying to figure out whether the suite perks are comparable. Different reviews and the RC website have differences listed so we’re wondering if someone can give us first hand information.

• Is internet included? (We purchased one online and weren’t stopped from checking out)
  • Are drinks packages included? (because we purchased them online)
  • We bought dining packages because we’re sure specialty restaurants aren’t included like we’re used to, but we can’t book online without paying separately. Will we still be able to get in (specifically to Wonderland) if we wait til we’re onboard, or do we need to somehow contact a Concierge prior to embarking?

Are there any perks to this suite category not listed (such as on Celebrity in a Royal Suite we can organise in-room parties for our new onboard friends)?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

A GS on Ovation is "Sky Class" so internet is included.  There are never any validations on Royal with respect to cruise planner purchases but you can cancel the Voom purchase for a refund.

Drinks are not included but there will be a nightly Diamond Happy Hour from your Diamond status through recognition that you can use nightly 4:30pm to 8pm.  This includes unlimited drinks in the Diamond Lounge (or Concierge Lounge since you are in a suite) as well as three drink coupons loaded on your SeaPass card for use at most bars around the ship.  Happy hour drinks are from a limited menu of select beers, wine and liquor.  Expect "well drinks" and "table wine" , not top shelf liquor or better wines, those will need to be purchased or if you keep your Deluxe beverage package then included up to the standard limits of the DX program.  

When in Sky Class I often buy the DX beverage program just for access to better wines and more choices.

On Ovation you will have access to Coastal Kitchen a dedicated suites/pinnacle restaurant.  In my opinion it's a good step above the MDR and in some cases rivals specialty dining depending on your likes or dislikes.  Beyond Coastal Kitchen any other specialty dining will need to be purchased.

You also have access to the suite sun deck as a suite guest and the shared Concierge in that lounge who can make reservations for your needs.  

Edited by twangster

We stay in GS but never on Quantum Class.

Here is what I know on Oasis Class. 

Internet is provided for Full Suites 

in the US,  Drink packages are not typically included. 

I believe that Quantum Class has a Coastal Kitchen that is available for Suite Guests and Pinnacles. 

Speciality Dinning is not included with a GS (Sky Class). The Concierge should email you 3-7 days in advance. I suggest you ask them to reserve your dining times for CK and Wonderland at that time.. 

We have not had in room parties but I know it has been done. Another request for the Concierge. 

I'll add it's hard to map Celebrity suites to Royal suites.  When comparing the two suites product you'd have no idea the companies are related.  

The majority of Royal's fleet has two suite levels - entry level Junior Suites and "Full" suites, Grand Suite or higher.  

Oasis and Quantum class have 3 levels of suites.  Sea, Sky and Star Class.

On Oasis and Quantum class, full suites (GS and higher) have access to Coastal Kitchen for all meals.  Sea Class (Junior Suites) can eat dinner only at Coastal Kitchen when there is space available.  For any other class of Royal ship, there is no suite restaurant.  Royal's entry level suite Junior Suite has very few benefits compared to an entry level Sky Suite on Celebrity (not to be confused with Sky Class suites on Royal which is a Junior Suite is not).  

On Oasis and Quantum class Royal does offer Star Class suites that comes with a Genie and has no comparable Genie type personnel on Celebrity.  Star Class does include the Deluxe beverage and specialty dining, Sea and Sky class do not.

As you can see Royal has a very confusing suite product that varies greatly by class of ship.  Celebrity's suite product is more consistent across the fleet.  

I am Elite+ on Celebrity and Diamond on Royal.  If my memory serves me correctly Royal Suite in higher than Celebrity Suite on Celebrity.  Had a butler with Celebrity Suite also had complimentary bottle of vodka and sodas.  Had computer in cabin and more free internet than I could use.  Also laundry was free.  Do not have those perks on RCCL.  But then, did NOT receive a free photo on Celebrity.  I believe you would be better off going to each web site and do a comparison.  No beverage package went with suites when I sailed in Celebrity Suite but on Harmony cruise in November the Suite Lounge has beer, wine and sodas most of the day I believe.

Just my opinion but I feel service (always with a smile) is much better on Celebrity.  No matter what,, have a great cruise.

Remember that the "coupons" for use about the ship is only valid during the suite "cocktail" hours...4:30-8pm.....so if you plan on drinks during the daytime, that's on you.  It will depend how much you plan to drink outside of the cocktail hours, if a package will be worth it, to you.

49 minutes ago, twangster said:

I'll add it's hard to map Celebrity suites to Royal suites.  When comparing the two suites product you'd have no idea the companies are related.  

The majority of Royal's fleet has two suite levels - entry level Junior Suites and "Full" suites, Grand Suite or higher.  

Oasis and Quantum class have 3 levels of suites.  Sea, Sky and Star Class.

On Oasis and Quantum class, full suites (GS and higher) have access to Coastal Kitchen for all meals.  Sea Class (Junior Suites) can eat dinner only at Coastal Kitchen when there is space available.  For any other class of Royal ship, there is no suite restaurant.  Royal's entry level suite Junior Suite has very few benefits compared to an entry level Sky Suite on Celebrity (not to be confused with Sky Class suites on Royal which is a Junior Suite is not).  

On Oasis and Quantum class Royal does offer Star Class suites that comes with a Genie and has no comparable Genie type personnel on Celebrity.  Star Class does include the Deluxe beverage and specialty dining, Sea and Sky class do not.

As you can see Royal has a very confusing suite product that varies greatly by class of ship.  Celebrity's suite product is more consistent across the fleet.  

I have a question regarding the Junior Suite CK dinner. Do you get access to the lounge area for cocktails  prior to or after dinner? We are new the the RCCL products having not sailed with them since 2003. We are normally NCL Haven guest but are trying the Harmony.we also know that we will not full suite benefits in the Jr. and choosing not to sail in full suite as the rest of the group we are sailing with this trip are all in balconies. 

4 minutes ago, teeredi2cruise said:

I have a question regarding the Junior Suite CK dinner. Do you get access to the lounge area for cocktails  prior to or after dinner? We are new the the RCCL products having not sailed with them since 2003. We are normally NCL Haven guest but are trying the Harmony.we also know that we will not full suite benefits in the Jr. and choosing not to sail in full suite as the rest of the group we are sailing with this trip are all in balconies. 

JS guests don't have access to the lounge for cocktails.

We normally do grand suites on rccl and really like the suite, have only done sky and celebrity suites on celebrity. Suite perks are better on celebrity we love luminae and Micheals, suite restaurant on rccl is costal kitchen which is nice but we prefer luminae. But big plus on rccl is entertainment which is excellent on rccl. 

I really thought I knew the difference, but I'm just a little confused now.

Isn't there a suite lounge on Royal?  Can't you get beer/wine/soda all day there and then cocktails are added onto your card for the 3 + hour timeframe?

10 minutes ago, mafig said:

I really thought I knew the difference, but I'm just a little confused now.

Isn't there a suite lounge on Royal?  Can't you get beer/wine/soda all day there and then cocktails are added onto your card for the 3 + hour timeframe?

That type of Suite Lounge is only on Oasis class ships.  There are several other ships now with Suite Lounges, but only Oasis class Suite Lounges offer the 11am to 11pm beverages.

3 hours ago, teeredi2cruise said:

I was in CK for dinner on one of my first Oasis class cruises...sailing in a JS.   I was asked if I wanted a glass of wine, said yes (was still during happy hour and we were D+).  I got charged for the wine.  

5 minutes ago, island lady said:

I was in CK for dinner on one of my first Oasis class cruises...sailing in a JS.   I was asked if I wanted a glass of wine, said yes (was still during happy hour and we were D+).  I got charged for the wine.  

you should have had that removed.  We never paid for drinks up there when we were pre pin.

first time we went, we brought one of our free WZ. Waiter looked at it and said he could get us that

12 minutes ago, island lady said:

Good information, thank you. I just wanted to know what to expect. We normally have the drink package on NCL, so this will be a bit different planning. We will also not have any status.

Edited by teeredi2cruise

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

you should have had that removed.  We never paid for drinks up there when we were pre pin.

first time we went, we brought one of our free WZ. Waiter looked at it and said he could get us that

When I mentioned something...after a bit of hesitation from the host...it indeed was removed.  When we went in again another night, I simply walked in with glass of wine from the DL.  

It has also just has to be very confusing to the waiters in CK...how do they determine if you are in there as JS guest...or Pinnie...or full suite?  

Edited by island lady

6 minutes ago, island lady said:

When I mentioned something...after a bit of hesitation from the host...it indeed was removed.  When we went in again another night, I simply walked in with glass of wine from the DL.  

It has also just has to be very confusing to the waiters in CK...how do they determine if you are in there as JS guest...or Pinnie...or full suite?  

See, in my opinion it isn't confusing on an Oasis ship.  Everyone qualifies for house swill

• Like 1

My wife and I are Elite+ on Celebrity and Diamond++ (an unofficial status) on Royal (and there is no reciprocity at those levels so we earned them on both lines.)   IMHO, it is not fair to compare a RS on Celebrity with a GS on Royal; the RS on Celebrity almost always costs much more than the GS on Royal.  That said, Royal offers much better entertainment than Celebrity but Celebrity offers much more in terms of suite perks.  The Celebrity RS includes complementary drinks, complementary specialty restaurants and butler service.  Aside from that, we think that Michael's club on Celebrity is much nicer than the Concierge Club on Royal and Luminae is nicer than Coastal Kitchen (which doesn't even matter since the RS on Celebrity includes unlimited access to specialty restaurants).  We also think that Celebrity specialty restaurants are a cut above Royal specialty restaurants and the latter aren't included in the price of the GS.  To match those Celebrity Perks, you have to go way beyond the GS on Royal to Star class and then you will be paying more than the cost of the RS on Celebrity, instead of less.

We think that the bottom line is that there is no cabin on Royal that is really equal to the RS on Celebrity.  Any Sky Class room on Royal has fewer perks than the RS on Celebrity and any Star Class room on Royal has more perks and is more expensive than the RS on Celebrity.

Edited by actuarian
spelling

5 minutes ago, actuarian said:

My wife and I are Elite+ on Celebrity and Diamond++ (an unofficial status) on Royal (and there is no reciprocity at those levels so we earned them on both lines.)   IMHO, it is not fair to compare a RS on Celebrity with a GS on Royal; the RS on Celebrity almost always costs much more than the GS on Royal.  That said, Royal offers much better entertainment than Celebrity but Celebrity offers much more in terms of suite perks.  The Celebrity RS includes complementary drinks, complementary specialty restaurants and butler service.  Aside from that, we think that Michael's club on Celebrity is much nicer than the Concierge Club on Royal and Luminae is nicer than Coastal Kitchen (which doesn't even matter since the RS on Celebrity includes unlimited assess to specialty restaurants).  We also think that Celebrity specialty restaurants are a cut above Royal specialty restaurants and the latter aren't included in the price of the GS.  To match those Celebrity Perks, you have to go way beyond the GS on Royal to Star class and then you will be paying more than the cost of the RS on Celebrity, instead of less.

I disagree with the cost. We had a grand suite on the Allure in October. The seven day dining package (all specialty restaurants) cost $168 p.p. The deluxe drink package cost $399 p.p. That $567 p.p. add on, plus the cost of the suite was still less than the cost of a Sky suite, on any of the Solstice class ships, with the four perks. The only difference then is RCL has no butler which is no big deal.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

That type of Suite Lounge is only on Oasis class ships.  There are several other ships now with Suite Lounges, but only Oasis class Suite Lounges offer the 11am to 11pm beverages.

Ah, OK, that's where I got confused.

Thanks for the clarification.🙂

Wine served in rccl suite lounge is pretty bad , fine if you like white zinfandel that sells for 4 dollars a bottle. On celebrity suite lounge did not care for what they had questioned bartender and he then got us decoy Cabernet , you can request a scotch etc   

20 minutes ago, George C said:

Wine served in rccl suite lounge is pretty bad , fine if you like white zinfandel that sells for 4 dollars a bottle. On celebrity suite lounge did not care for what they had questioned bartender and he then got us decoy Cabernet , you can request a scotch etc    

$3.64 @ Sams

20190624_111221.thumb.jpg.abb1ec39d6014007f40f4849d4db629a.jpg

• Like 1