Disappearing Perks

DeltaBreeze

Its not listed on the HAL website under Mariner Benefits and the last cruise I was on, the Maasdam, didn't offer the cooking classes..

American Test Kitchen was giving the classes and only offered very few different classes. It seemed the class on egg boiling was offered on every ship. The class would be 30 minutes, then you would sit and try one deviled egg and walk away with a red apron. Basically a waste of time and not something you would want to repeat.

When the  5th * was created, and the cooking class was made a benefit, it was an event. One of the chefs would show you how to cook a real meal, then you would eat a similar meal in the PG. The class used to be informative, fun, and varied.

Edited by DeltaBreeze
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Roz said:

A class on how to boil an egg 🥚 ??? You've got to be kidding me.

Roz

I guess they are very high quality boiled eggs! 😝 LOL. How sad this is😞 I so enjoyed America’s test kitchen! It seems like loyalty is a thing of the past!!! Soon they will take away our laundry benefit and our much deserved discount at the PG also.

Denise😊

• Like 1

I was invited to the egg one, twice (boil, true, but also how to separate!), on port days, so I didn't go.  Once on Prinsendam I was invited to the pasta one, and I went, but only to get the red apron!  We didn't get to taste anything.  Once on Nieuw Statendam, I was invited to one on garlic, and it was in the showroom and the chef whizzed up 20 cloves of garlic.  I really felt sorry for anyone going to the show later in the evening!  (No apron)

Edited by Vict0riann

The egg class, which we have taken twice, is actually quite interesting.  Hard boiling by steaming,  mayo, meringues - all good info.

We have always been invited, as recently as a few days ago.

I think the port day timing of the class is a bad idea. Maybe the ships would like to have the ammunition to tell Seattle that no one signs up much so it isn't worth it?  The times we attended the chefs seemed disappointed: they would otherwise have had the afternoon off in port.

Edited by SilvertoGold

2 hours ago, DeltaBreeze said:

Its not listed on the HAL website under Mariner Benefits and the last cruise I was on, the Maasdam, didn't offer the cooking classes..

American Test Kitchen was giving the classes and only offered very few different classes. It seemed the class on egg boiling was offered on every ship. The class would be 30 minutes, then you would sit and try one deviled egg and walk away with a red apron. Basically a waste of time and not something you would want to repeat.

When the  5th * was created, and the cooking class was made a benefit, it was an event. One of the chefs would show you how to cook a real meal, then you would eat a similar meal in the PG. The class used to be informative, fun, and varied.

I stopped going to the "cooking" classes when the sponsor changed from Food & Wine Magazine to ATK.  When they said that using a Bay leaf for a daring change in taste, and didn't know the changes for high-altitude recipes.  I agree they were fun & informative back then.  

We had our invite on the Prinsendam in April this year but it was on a port day when we would be in the middle of a tour.  I was not impressed.

Like others, I much preferred the Food and Wine where we learned about cooking hands on and then enjoyed a lovely lunch in the PG afterwards.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

The egg class, which we have taken twice, is actually quite interesting.  Hard boiling by steaming,  mayo, meringues - all good info...

Nice to hear that at least one other person enjoyed the egg class and found it informative.  I guess it just wasn't intended for people who know (or claim to know) everything.

On the first page alone of the HAL forum here on CC, I see multiple Threads about cutbacks: the discontinuation of the YumYum Man, the 5 Star Cooking Class, EXC Guides, non-existent “libraries”.  I also see Threads on the lack of quality entertainment in the World Stage on the newest ships, despite the new high tech theaters.  

I recall years ago when trying to decide between several different lines, a travel agent steered me to HAL, listing various things that set it apart.  Some of those things are gone.  Seems like management doesn’t realize that sometimes little things can make a big difference.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 3

sail.noordam@gmail.com

14 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

The egg class, which we have taken twice, is actually quite interesting.  Hard boiling by steaming,  mayo, meringues - all good info.

We have always been invited, as recently as a few days ago.

I think the port day timing of the class is a bad idea. Maybe the ships would like to have the ammunition to tell Seattle that no one signs up much so it isn't worth it?  The times we attended the chefs seemed disappointed: they would otherwise have had the afternoon off in port.

While I have no interest in the classes,  have never attended and likely never will, it was available on both my recent Zaandam cruises.   I  don't want cooking classes at   this stage of my life. I'm actually a very good (home) cook.

Iam fi nished with  making formal  dinner parties.  I made my share through the years, but no more.    To my view,  it is a throw away benefit

benefit.

image.png.30322de78c4ecf5c84e0e17d54a6c0c5.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

'

ent Zaansam ruises, it was available,. 

I also do not go to the invitation wine tasting but they held  it.    And,yes, I do enjoy my glass of wine with dinner.

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, kazu said:

We had our invite on the Prinsendam in April this year but it was on a port day when we would be in the middle of a tour.  I was not impressed.

Like others, I much preferred the Food and Wine where we learned about cooking hands on and then enjoyed a lovely lunch in the PG afterwards.

Agree.

On our Noordam cruise in April, we had 15 sea days (22 day cruise).  There was one ATK demo at 11 am each of those sea days.  Yet, the 5 star cooking class was scheduled for a port day.

Amazing to us that the ship could not have found a 2 hour slot on one of those 15 sea days in the BB Kings Lounge for this class. The ATK chef often do 2 classes on sea days on shorter cruises, so what is the problem: iron-clad contracts with ATK .....?

I did the cake decorating one back in February.  The ATK chef said that the egg class was one of her favorites because she learned a couple of things she didn't know about even after a few decades working in kitchens.  I wish they'd offer more of the classes on each cruise and have them open to everyone.  I knew from here that I could ask to be put on the list (I'm not a 5-Star) and was cleared to attend not long before it was held.  It ended up being one of my favorite parts of the cruise.  

On 7/1/2019 at 9:45 AM, syesmar said:

On the first page alone of the HAL forum here on CC, I see multiple Threads about cutbacks: the discontinuation of the YumYum Man, the 5 Star Cooking Class, EXC Guides, non-existent “libraries”.  I also see Threads on the lack of quality entertainment in the World Stage on the newest ships, despite the new high tech theaters.  

I recall years ago when trying to decide between several different lines, a travel agent steered me to HAL, listing various things that set it apart.  Some of those things are gone.  Seems like management doesn’t realize that sometimes little things can make a big difference.

I agree with you.  Management at HAL shouldn't be in the cruise ship / hospitality business.  There has been so many cuts that if one doesn't read or play cards you're only option on board ship is to nap.  For all that I could just stay home.  So dear HAL, after 25 years of sailing with you I've booked my next cruise with Cunard on the QM2.

On 7/1/2019 at 9:45 AM, syesmar said:

Agreed.  I hope people are discussing these concerns in their post-cruise surveys.

DH and I just returned from a Caribbean Princess cruise -- chosen primarily by my brother's family the chance to go to Belize.  (I thought, for sure, that my brother would scuba dive the Blue Hole, but he didn't.) 

I sure missed the food from HAL - especially breakfast and lunch in the World Marketplace (Lido).  Overall, I enjoyed the cruise, but the dining room food was the best of the venues I experienced (Crown Grill, Salty Dog Grill, World Marketplace, Anytime Dining).

During my Christmas cruise on the Rotterdam, I did not enjoy the YouTube sensation entertainer.  We tried it twice, and we politely walked out before the show was finished.  I had already seen the BBC Earth movie on the Rotterdam during Spring Break, but I did attend again (with a friend new to cruising).  I knew when to cover my eyes, and by the music, I knew when I could look again.  (haha)

Once you make five star you need actual sail days to get to the following Gold and Platinum Medallion.   I think it is after 1,400 actual sail days they may consider you for President club.  Staying in suites and onboard spending will not count towards the higher Gold and Platinum Medallion status.

"Existing lapel pins will be replaced with brand new lapel pins for 2-Star, 3-Star, 4-Star and 5-Star Mariners. In addition, we will continue to recognize our most loyal Mariners through the awarding of a special medallion; a Bronze Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 100 days, a Silver Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 300 days, a Gold Medallion for guests achieving 500 days, and our highest level Platinum Medallion for those guests who have joined us for 700 or more days. Medallion status is calculated using Cruise Days only; Suite Bonus and Onboard Spending Bonus do not apply toward Medallion status."

Edited by SFO PETER
change

23 hours ago, SFO PETER said:

Once you make five star you need actual sail days to get to the following Gold and Platinum Medallion.   I think it is after 1,400 actual sail days they may consider you for President club.  Staying in suites and onboard spending will not count towards the higher Gold and Platinum Medallion status.

"Existing lapel pins will be replaced with brand new lapel pins for 2-Star, 3-Star, 4-Star and 5-Star Mariners. In addition, we will continue to recognize our most loyal Mariners through the awarding of a special medallion; a Bronze Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 100 days, a Silver Medallion for guests sailing with us for a total of 300 days, a Gold Medallion for guests achieving 500 days, and our highest level Platinum Medallion for those guests who have joined us for 700 or more days. Medallion status is calculated using Cruise Days only; Suite Bonus and Onboard Spending Bonus do not apply toward Medallion status."

Yes, for the Medallion Mariners Program runing concurentlhy sitgh gthe starMariner progawm,  Medallions are awarded when one reaches the stated days as acualy days on HL shisp.  I got my Platinum years ago and that is thatl.l    all days I earn now mean nothign..    Some of us maxed out the program a many druises and'more days' means nothing in terms of the [program   President's Club id quite   something   different snf it is only by invitation.  They  used litle forward thinking when they set up thids Star Mainert program.  Many of us were alreayd 5**  when it startred or very close ro it.

image.png

I think people's ideas about loyalty programs are a bit skewed sometimes.  Why would they need to continue offering further enticements to someone who is obviously going to keep coming back to them?  If not getting some sort of recognition beyond the years of free stuff already given out causes you to go elsewhere, the cruise line will probably breathe a sigh of relief.

19 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

I think people's ideas about loyalty programs are a bit skewed sometimes.  Why would they need to continue offering further enticements to someone who is obviously going to keep coming back to them?  If not getting some sort of recognition beyond the years of free stuff already given out causes you to go elsewhere, the cruise line will probably breathe a sigh of relief.

Nice.   thoughtts     :-)

image.png.47c6a4273ceade83bb3e2198225bd79e.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas